My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently bought a 2010 Ariens 42 inch lawn tractor with 18 hp Kohler. The engine noise is louder (or harsher) than the 15 hp Kohler on my old Scotts mower. Almost think I should wear ear protection.

Are there alternative mufflers or sound deadening materials that can be used to make it quieter?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
is it possible the tins, or plastics as it maybe, are causing the extra noise?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Probably luck of the draw, but I thought those new Ariens LTs only came with Briggs engines. If it is a Kohler, is it possible it's a Courage series, where your other was a Command? They are two differently designed engines.

Joel

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
are the bolts tight on the muffler?

doesn't seem right to have a brand new tractors so loud you need ear muffs.

my '85 112L is so loud i need ear muffs to work on it but its getting a new muffler before it goes on lawn duty.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't want to rob the thread but my old MF12 has the same problem. I am sure the old "mushroom" muffler is shot and it looks so rusted I am worried about trying to remove it from the block.... Is there an inexpensive replacement muffler that will greatly reduce the DB level to just mildly mind jarring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Scotts mower was a 15 hp Kohler Command. The Ariens is a 18 hp Kohler Courage.

The muffler seems to be on tight.

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
time for a stack! if you get the exhaust above ear level and pointed straight up, it helps reduce the amount of noise that is bounced off buildings/trees. helps to make it seem like its quieter then it really is.

have you called the dealership about it?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
These are basically a Sears/AYP/Electrolux product and have same exhaust tin work as a Craftsman rider. The difference is in the two fundamentally different series of Kohler single cyl engines. Command vs. Courage.

Joel

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I don't want to rob the thread but my old MF12 has the same problem. I am sure the old "mushroom" muffler is shot and it looks so rusted I am worried about trying to remove it from the block.... Is there an inexpensive replacement muffler that will greatly reduce the DB level to just mildly mind jarring?
It's generally referred to as a "pancake" muffler. But no, there is no out-of-the-box replacement for them -- even an expensive replacement.

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
Unfortunatly this isnt something easily fixed. Cheaper design engine and cheap muffler. Sad thing is they use the same basic muffler on many differnet engines, both single and twin cylinder. The courage series by Kohler is thier attempt to compete in the lower price tractors against Briggs and Stratton which pretty much dominated it after the demise of Tecumseh. About the only thing you can do is wear muffs and start saving for a higher doller machine with either a Kohler Command or Kawasaki engine. If the muffler rattles, then the internal baffles have come loose, this can make them even louder. Only option is a replacement from the factory or custom fabrication work to adapt a different set up. Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it isn't unreasonably loud. Guess it is just the difference between the two engine designs. The engine sound is harsher but I will get used to.

By the way, I bought this mower used, supposedly 3 months old and looked like it just came out of the crate. I was surprised it had the Kohler engine, but it is original since it matches Kohler decal on side of mower.

Also interesting, the deck seemed to make a lot of noise. I found one of the idler pulleys was loose and sitting at enough of an angle the lower edge was rubbing the top of the deck. From paint on the nut it appears it had never been tightened down.

Then decided to change blades and found one of the original blades was not flat, but had about a one-half inch bow in it. No wonder it seemed to cut shorter on one side than the other no matter how much I adjusted the leveling. It's cutting better with the new blades.

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts