My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lightning hit lit up most of my electronics, including this PC, I cannot connect to anything via a serial connection.
The PC doesn't have a built in serial port so I'm using a USB to serial adapter to connect to several app's/devices I run both for work & home use.
I've moved the adapter to the other USB ports that are either working a standalone HDD, a printer or a couple flash drives and the serial adapter doesn't work in any of them either. I tried another known good USB to serial adapter and I get the same thing, no-workie.

The PC was hit and lost the built in ethernet port, probably due to the DSL modem/switch getting fried and passing it on down the line and the controller the USB to serial adapter was connected to got fried also.
I'm thinking the hit ran in on the DSL - to the PC - then down to the controller.
The controller is an X10 controller that turns lights on & off by transmitting a burst of pulses during the "0" voltage level of household AC, so this controller is only plugged into an AC wall outlet and to the PC.

I replaced the X10 controller and had to use my laptop to program it so I know the controller is good, the USB to serial adapter is good and the interface cable is good. all things point to the PC but I'm stumped. I deleted the program and reloaded it also.
I know the USB flash drives, printer and standalone HDD work as they all communicate both ways so I tend to think it's not in the USB firmware but I dunno, I'm thinking mother board but that doesn't explain why the other USB devices work, at least not in my saturated mind :D
This PC has 4 USB ports in the rear and 3 in the front and I've tried 'em all.

Thoughts?
Dave

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reloaded the driver and that fixed it up. Still not completeing sinking in but bottom line is she's up.
Thanks Davidg.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts