My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer saw the beginning of my PTO kicking out while mowing. As the throttle was also starting to slip I was finding that I needed to have one hand on the PTO and one on the throttle..hence the title. The throttle issue is an easy adjustment, but the electrical issue with the PTO is a head scratch. I am thinking the seat switch as whenever I bounce around while mowing, the PTO will jump out. Some other aspects: the fuse has blown several times. It also requires me to occasionally pull and re-insert the fuse to get the PTO to operate. Lastly (since I bought the 955 second-hand 4 years ago) the PTO has always operated without me in the seat. The only thing the 955 will not do is start with the PTO engaged.
As I was left out of the proper operational loop by not buying new I ask what is normal safe operation and should I be looking for a seat switch short or elsewhere? Thanks in advance as snowblowing season is near(or just started!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would check out the seat switch first. Easy replacement and not very expensive.

Good luck!

How about some pictures of that bad boy...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will re-examine the seat switch. I do know one of my seat springs broke in deference to my lard butt; maybe it is allowing too much travel in the seat and shorting one of the seat switch wires or simply crushing the seat switch. (I really weigh only 200 lbs so it is within the realm of "normal" haha). The seat switch was replaced a couple of years ago by the Deere dealer.
Okay I was going to insert a pic, but it looks like some additional reading, etc is requires...like how to url the pic..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's a picture under my seat: couple of things: the seat spring on the FEL control arm side is broken. It also means that, combined with the excessive play in the FEL control arm, if I am leaning to that side, I cannot get the control arm to roll the bucket up. Likewise you can see where the sheet metal is bent and rusted on the far side from bashing in the other direction. Is there any way one can tighten up the play in the FEL control without total replacement?

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts