My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I was working on my Ford YT16H and while checking and adjusting different parts of the tractor I noticed that my primary drive belt from the engine to the secondary drive belt was loose. I adjusted the belt tension to spec,, 1-inch center belt play. A few weeks later when I went to use the tractor it lacked drive power. Engine ran fine, normal rpm’s but the tractor would not go fast nor climb small inclines. Fearing the worst, I pulled off the fender, seat and gas tank so I could get to the Hydro unit. Drained the oil and refilled. Also looked at the primary belt tension again and made a further adjustment to tighten it. While it was in a state of disassembly I figure I’d adjust the Hydro linkage to get rid of the reverse creep that I have lived with since I bought it about 6 months ago. Put the gas tank and seat back on and took it for a spin. No reverse creep but also no speed or power to the drive wheels. I then remembered that my power problem started when I first tightened the Primary drive belt. I did not have sufficient power to get back to my work area so I decided to check underneath. I reached into the belt area and burnt my hand on the Primary drive pulley. It was hot. I then remembered that my power problem began when I tightened the belt to spec. I loosened it on the spot and low and behold I had drive power. The existing belt doesn’t look too bad. It has inside cracks, but nothing to severe. My first attempt will be to replace the Primary drive belt. If that doesn’t totally solve the problem I will look into the pulley bearings.

If any one has any experience with this or any comments on my plan of attack let me know.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts