My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now seen two 5000 series tractors and a Pro series that have come in with shipper shaft hardware that was loose. I don't mean just a little loose, a lot loose...to the point that everything is flopping around. Given that the bolts that go through the advance casting are held in place with self locking nuts, I cannot explain why this occurs. I can detect no stretching of the bolts nor do I see any wear on the parts. My only assessment is that the bolts are indeed stretching although I cannot detect it.

Has anyone else seen this? To prevent this from happening in the future, should a change to grade 8 bolts be advised?

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one had never been touched from the day it came from the factory. I suspect at least one other was untouched as well.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I had to tighten them on my '83 5200 right after I bought it. And not just a little bit either.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to tighten them on my '83 5200 right after I bought it. And not just a little bit either.
Did you buy the tractor new?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Sorry, no I bought it late last winter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I make it a point to check mine at the beginning of each season. There's almost always a little slop. Not sure if they are stretching or not but I may try the grade 8 idea! I had a friend that had not adjusted his in some time and the shifter arm itself was actually warped from all the pulling and pushing. He had to have it straightened. Since then he's kept a closer eye on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts