My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Wow a sickle on a Monkey Wards? Never seen one. Is it a Haban mower?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Congrats on the tractor looks good, interesting muffler those tractors have, I'm thinking about one similar to that but intead of the Hydro it's a variable speed. Can anyone explain to me what a variable speed trans is?
GB in MN

·
Super Moderator
33,601 Posts
Congrats on the tractor looks good, interesting muffler those tractors have, I'm thinking about one similar to that but intead of the Hydro it's a variable speed. Can anyone explain to me what a variable speed trans is?
GB in MN

Would have some sort of mechanism in it to allow you to vary speed in a given gear. John Deere calls their system a "variator" and it consists of a double sheave and moving the lever forces one belt to climb higher on the sheave and one lower creating a changing ratio and thereby varying the speed. Sort of a manual centrifugal clutch if you want to think of it that way.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Thanks PA318Guy, that's the system that my Suburban DB uses and of course that works good I just didn't think about that system on the Wards but makes sense.
GB in MN

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
The tractor is made by Gilson. Th mower is a Haban 89-33056R
Yup theres a yellow one just like it at my 4H club, never seen em with a sickle though. Nice machine

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Similiar to the Gilson S series.
I believe the vari-drive is not infinitely variable, but has certain set points you can shift into. I do know that the 'high' slot is quite fast, and the 'low' slot has alot of torque.
From my S-12 instruction booklet...'the lever is used to provide variations in ground speed of tractor in any gear shift lever setting, without shifting gears and while in motion. The lever has 6 settings'.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You did good the attachments look like there in good shape, I'd really like to have a sickle mower. Have been watching CL for over a year now and nothing around yet.
GB in MN

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts
Very cool Sid! Can't wait to see a picture of that sickle mower mounted. It must be fun moving that tiller around with the weights attached!

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Boy some guys have all the luck to get the original paperwork is a big plus. When ever I buy something I ask for any manuals or whatever and generally it they don't have any.
GB in MN

·
Premium Member
9,779 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I mounted the snowblower to the old girl yesterday. The hydraulic lift seems to work well. I didn't put the belt on yet and the chute needs some hardware to keep it in place. Going to order some new chains for it too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts