My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems lately with my allis HB212 with a B&S 12 Horse (300401). the points keep fouling and I have to re file them and install them before she will start. This happens pretty much regularly.

I would like to upgrade the ignition to electronic. what are my options? I keep reading about a flywheel upgrade, are there any other solutions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I find a replacement set of points and a condenser? I cant seem to locate parts for this motor online.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
All options are reletively cheap, but my preferred, so far, is simply going to a 12v coil. It's easy, your parts are right up the road at any auto supply, and you get a nice hot spark all the time.

There are drawbacks to each method...for the coil, you're still using points and condenser, but you should not be fouling it. BUT...you never have to worry about a magneto replacement.

Do you have things gapped right? Good ground? excessive oil leaking or is your plunger sticking? All my machines are stil running on points, but I've gone to 12v on two of them. One simply runs like a dream that way, the other, I was in a bind and didn't want to pull the engine to replace the magneto.

I've heard good and bad about the Nova II...most complaints are of the backfiring variety, but I beleive there's a work-around for that.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I used a NOVA on my 10hp Briggs. Best $20 investment I made for my tractor.

Solved all kinds of problems including poor running/starting/shutdown. Engine now accelerates and decelarates smoothly. No more backfiring. Even less exhaust fumes and more power.

Easy external modification. I removed the condenser and replaced it with the ignition module. I only had to reconnect the one coil wire previously going to the condenser.

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just bought a Nova II. I'll pop it in later this week and see what happens. From what I read it works pretty good on B&S motors because they have decent coils.

I hope this makes my AC a little more reliable as I plan on moving some snow with her this year.

Thanks for the info.

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
I have 2 7016's with electronic ignition and they are good to deal with but I don't think I have what your talking about.My engines were built by B&S in the 1990's and came with electronic ign.

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went with the nova... Super easy. Ground the transistor and the "-" lead to the chassis, attach the "+" lead to the wire that runs to the condenser from the coil. Runs PERFECT better than it ever has. Still needs some carb tweaking to be perfect, but I can finally get back to working on the cab!

Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
18 Posts
is the Nova igition comparable to the B & S Magnetronic? I have a B & S 10 HP 251707 in my late 70's Dayton (identical to Mongomery Wards 1038 of same vintage), thinking about converting to a pointless system during the winter rebuild.

this is my 1st reply to any post, but I'm gaining a wealth of information from the whole website...hope I can make some small contribution sometime!

·
Fire The Frickin Lazer!
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Rougerat, as far as I know it is just a simple tranistorized ignition. There are many other styles of electronic ignition that may or may not be better, but I will tell you that I no longer have to mess with points, and my tractor runs perfect. Of course that statement will jynx me, but its true.

check the ebay link above for the best price I could find. Like I said, install was very easy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts