My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We currently have a 2006 John Deere 5525 with a FEL which has about 4500 and we are looking to replace it. Since we live on a dairy farm, we use this tractor just about every day which is why we usually trade in for a new one every 6 or 7 years just so we can have something we can depend on. This is one reason we have stuck with John Deere over the years, because of resale, trade-in value.

Normally we would buy another John Deere but we are looking at other brands this time. Without going into to many details, we are not too happy with this 5525. We have had more than our fair share of problems with it. We are still considering another John Deere but have been looking at other brands as well. Will we be fine as long as we stay with the top brands? I realize Kubota, Mahindra would not be a good choice. Are there any major brands that you would avoid? If it matters, we do not want a cab. Well actually, a cab would be nice but it wouldn't fit in our barns to be able to clean them out. And front wheel assist is a must.

We use this tractor to do just about anything from hauling round bales, field work, feeding silage, cleaning up fence rows, just typical loader work.

·
Premium Member
9,040 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with newer tractors in that size range, but I would start by deciding how far you're willing to travel to a dealer for any and every little thing, and then see what brands have dealerships within that distance and then go talk to all of them. Tell them that you're not ready to buy just yet but that you're gathering information for an upcoming purchase.Tell them what you need to do with it and what other brands you're considering and then shut your mouth and let them talk away. Salesmen seem to like the sound of their own voices. If you can, also talk with the service manager and ask about the reliability of the particular model you're considering as well. From talking to the sale person and the service manager, you should be able to get a good "feel" for each of them and be able to decide which ones are just out for your money and which ones want to build their business by truly helping their customers.

Personally, if I had the money to get something new I would probably go with John Deere or New Holland, but not because I particularly like either one, but because those are the only 2 dealerships within a reasonable distance for me to travel. I bought my garden tractors from the John Deere dealership and they have been good to deal with, and I go to the New Holland dealership regularly for parts for my old Ford 4000 tractor, and they have been good to deal with as well, so my decision would probably come down to the bottom line price and what kind of financing incentives were available at the time.

99% of your interface with the manufacturer is through the dealership, so if the capabilities of the machines are all close to each other and the quality is as well, I would go with the brand from the dealer that I felt most comfortable with. Some folks are particular about placement of the controls and such, and if that makes a difference to you then go and sit on all of the machines you are considering and see which one feels the best to you.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Whats wrong with Kubota and Mahindra? Have you looked at Massey Ferguson?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going to buy a new 5065, probably in Sept including a loader. Been on JDs for 53 years. The 5065m is supposed to be a much better and stouter tractor according to a mechanic and friend who works for JD. HE says they have ironed out the 50 series problems which included hydraulics and the transmission-rearends. He actually hates them because he has to pull the cab to get to anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not trying to put down Kubota or Mahindra but we have heard that they do not hold up to daily farm use. I know a couple of people that have Kubota;s and they are satisfied but they do not use them like we do.

Another thing against them is the price. They are close to the same price as the bigger brands. Maybe a little less but not enough to consider them.

We are in the process of looking at Massey right now. I have been told that Massey and the Challenger are basically the same tractor with different plastic.

We drove a Case Farmall 95C and a JD 5115M. We are not planning on buying a 5115M, we are looking at the 5105M. One thing we didn't like about the Case is it had a hand parking brake separate from the gear shifter. I have also been told that the hand parking brake will not last very long.

In the end, I think it is going to come down to who will give us the best deal. Right now I am kind of leaning towards the JD over the Case. We just need something that is made for high hour use.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I bought a new NH T4-75 PowerStar 4x4 with loader last June/July cant remember which, I've got right at 100 hrs on it so far and love it! Very easy to operate, all control locations were well thought out. Its got a cab but can be bought with out cab, I've bought several new Ford/NH tractors over the years and have had great service out of them. Only thing I really dont like about the PowerStar is the rear fenders are plastic or something (not metal). One thing I really like on the tractor is it has a lift arm control lever at the back of the tractor, very nice when hooking up equipment!

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
FWIW, Mahindra's are built 100% by Mitsubishi, and are the #1 selling tractor worldwide. Mahindra also bought out their financing company, so they can offer 0% for 60, 72, or 84 month periods. We sold a 4035 stick shift a month and a half ago that already has 100 hours of farm use on it with no issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.