My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the 16hp in the GTV may have bit the dust. I'm not sure what a repower option would be in the GTV16, I'm browsing EBAY for donor L-Heads for parts but also wanting you guys' input on possible repower ideas, within reason please!

I DO have a Craftsman GT 20hp 50" in the backyard that needs a carb rebuilt and is missing a deck.... so any weird combo's of the two might even be acceptable....

What are your ideas great ones?

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Well, the 16hp in the GTV may have bit the dust. I'm not sure what a repower option would be in the GTV16, I'm browsing EBAY for donor L-Heads for parts but also wanting you guys' input on possible repower ideas, within reason please!

I DO have a Craftsman GT 20hp 50" in the backyard that needs a carb rebuilt and is missing a deck.... so any weird combo's of the two might even be acceptable....

What are your ideas great ones?
Do those have a horizontal opposed twin Briggs engine?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I repowered my 72 Motomower/Sears 16 B&S 2 years ago with a
13hp Powerfist(Sold up here as Princessauto brand) and never looked back.
Starts first pull everytime,quiet and as much power as the old 16

Got it onsale for $229.00
But I am a utilitarian
Just my 2 cents :)

edit- it came with electric start,just never bothered hooking up a battery,
and the gas tank to boot!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, its opposed twin. And I've seen some donors. I just have the option financially, at this time, to possibly get into the 600-1k range for a new (or newer) engine. I don't mind buying a donor(s) and putting an engine together, just not sure if there were any of you out there who had a great repower in one of these. I've seen the diesel conversion, but I'm looking more towards bolt and go I think.

Anyone converted a GTV to vertical shaft?? I have plenty of pulleys etc. I dunno. Probably ought to take the 16hp apart first eh?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the thing running at this point, smokes pretty good, so I'm thinking ring issue, or a good gouge to a cylinder wall, I'm loathe to run it much.

Has ANYONE done a repower on one of these? Kind of awkward with the horizontal shaft and the nose to tail shaft orientation.

I'm looking at Northern Tool's selection online, but not sure I can find something that will work.

I'd rather go new at this point, than rebuild. Anyone repowered a twin with a single cylinder before?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone tried putting a vanguard in one of these? I
Wondering if the main pulley hardware will bolt up still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts