My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a home on about 6 acers that needs mowed.
Talking with a guy to buy his 2019 John Deere 950M, 60" deck with about 360 hrs on it.
$6500 seems like a good deal. What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
7,938 Posts
Hi Mitch7611 and
...with that many hours I have to imagine that the mowing deck is in pretty good shape....but I don't see any information on a 950M...you sure that is the right model?... I am going to move this post to the John Deere forum, but please check on that model designation

·
Premium Member
6,405 Posts
Any pictures?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Go to Lawnsite.com and ask questions there, this is a zero turn commercial mower , and not much discussion about these mowers on this site. Look for Ridin' Green on that site, he knows a lot about JD zero turn mowers. and will be honest about your questions.

·
Super Moderator
33,610 Posts
Select the three dots:

You won't have as many selections as I have as a moderator but you should find Edit, Delete, and Report here:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I just purchased a home on about 6 acers that needs mowed.
Talking with a guy to buy his 2019 John Deere 950M, 60" deck with about 360 hrs on it.
$6500 seems like a good deal. What do you think?
Most likely you are talking about a John Deere Z950M. $6,500 for that machine seems to be a very good deal.
  • How much of the 6 acres needs mowed? Either way, it should do the job quickly and cleanly. Make sure you don’t have tight places to go through. The 60” deck is big. I currently mow about 2 acres (soccer field) in about an hour.
  • Do you have to trailer it? It will take a 6.5’ wide trailer even with the deflector up and I would recommend at least 10’ long. Make sure to tie it down for transport.
  • Be sure to make 3 point turns so you don’t tear up the grass.
  • The fuel tank will be good if you mow the entire 6 acres, but even then it should mow close to 4 times before refueling.
  • Check for obvious abuse, including oil leaks, hydraulic oil leaks. It’s the newer version of my 757 and I like it for mowing large open spaces.
  • Not recommended on slopes of uneven ground due to the width of the deck, but it can handle a some.
Have you ever driven a Zero Turn mower? I can share the advice my brother gave me to drive in a straight line.

Here’s a link to find out more about the machine.

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I bought my house on 3 acres, I got a nice zero turn. Zero turn is definitely the way to go for just mowing. But $6500 goes a long way towards a nice subcompact tractor with a mower and capability to do so many other types of work. I love my zero turn, but I often wish for a tractor with a loader.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
When I bought my house on 3 acres, I got a nice zero turn. Zero turn is definitely the way to go for just mowing. But $6500 goes a long way towards a nice subcompact tractor with a mower and capability to do so many other types of work. I love my zero turn, but I often wish for a tractor with a loader.
Zero turn is definitely the way to go for just mowing:
  • The Z950M will mow faster and better than a subcompact tractor simply because they are made to optimize mowing.
  • They will cut better at faster travel speeds.
  • It will be able to maneuver easier in tight spaces.
  • It is meant to minimize the time spent mowing.
  • It can pick up leaves also.
  • They are not good mowing steep inclines.
Nice subcompact tractor:
  • A subcompact tractor will do other things than mow if equipped. Options might include Loaders, 3PH: Back Blade, Tiller, Disc, Rake
  • If you have limited storage space or funds, a subcompact tractor may be a better solution depending on what you want the equipment to do.
Deciding what you want to do and how much time you have to do it, starts you in the right search direction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts