My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Glad to be here.
So im going to try to keep this brief, but i have several questions that i need answered.

first. let me explain my requirements. i just bought 50 acres of pastureland. its already clear. im going to eventually build a house. but first i have lots of work to do. i have be able to cut all 50 acres. I need to build a drive way. I lots of spots i will be leveling out and holes which need to be filled. Wood piles which need to be burned, etc. Plus i will need the tractor to deliver hay to livestock. I live in Mississippi so snow isn't an issue, but it gets pretty muddy in the winter months.

My dad just bought a new Mahindra and is willing to sell me his ford 6600 (70 HP) 2wd with bucket loader. he wants me to pay $9,000 for that tractor, which i feel is too expensive for a 40 year old tractor. It is in good running condition, to the best of my knowledge the only problems he has is having to spray some ether in it to crank it when it is really cold. Other than that runs like a top. I will say that i am not that good with engine mechanics. i can do pretty much everything else, but i don't feel comfortable taking apart engine parts and rebuilding.

Instead of buying a used tractor should i just invest the money into a new one. I can get a new Kubota or Mahindra around 50 HP with 4wd for around $25,000 with -% financing.

So my questions are this.
1. should i consider purchasing my dads used tractor.
2. what size tractor should i look at purchasing for my farm. Is 50 HP going to be enough? 4wd or 2wd.
3. What brand/model would you recommend.

Thanks in advance. I am green as green can be.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Your dads Ford 6600 is a heavier bigger more capeable tractor then any $25000.00 Kubota compact tractor.$9000.00 depends on condition and what kind of loader is on it.But sounds about right for a decent shape tractor with a nice shape loader.It all depends what your going to use it for.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Your dads Ford 6600 is a heavier bigger more capeable tractor then any $25000.00 Kubota compact tractor.$9000.00 depends on condition and what kind of loader is on it.But sounds about right for a decent shape tractor with a nice shape loader.It all depends what your going to use it for.
:ditto:

& a lot easier to work on.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
You know your father's tractor. Who knows what you might find after buying something else. I'm not especially a Ford person, but those old Ford tractors were built tough. And as previously mentioned, easier to fix.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If you go to Tractor House.com you can get a general idea of what that Ford is selling for.
At 70 hp it should be a very capable tractor to do anything you might be able to imagine on 50 acres. I'm old enough to remember when people were farming 120-500 acres with tractors often with less horsepower.
I'm normally a CUT guy andthat's what I own(Ford 1500). But it is limited and I have to work within it's limitations. If I were to put in 5 acres of Hay, I would need a minumum of 45 Hp and another tractor.
. So consider the projects you may tackle and pick a tractor that will do the jobs. ( We tend to take on bigger jobs than we anticipated?)
My normal thinking is the Tractor that will easily do the job is working smarter and safer than the tractor that has to pull it's Guts out to do the job.
When you start Rammin & Jammin because the tractor is inadequate, BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
If you go to Tractor House.com you can get a general idea of what that Ford is selling for.
At 70 hp it should be a very capable tractor to do anything you might be able to imagine on 50 acres. I'm old enough to remember when people were farming 120-500 acres with tractors often with less horsepower.
I'm normally a CUT guy andthat's what I own(Ford 1500). But it is limited and I have to work within it's limitations. If I were to put in 5 acres of Hay, I would need a minumum of 45 Hp and another tractor.
. So consider the projects you may tackle and pick a tractor that will do the jobs. ( We tend to take on bigger jobs than we anticipated?)
My normal thinking is the Tractor that will easily do the job is working smarter and safer than the tractor that has to pull it's Guts out to do the job.
When you start Rammin & Jammin because the tractor is inadequate, BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN.
:ditto:
Been there, done that!

Ronnie

·
Registered
20 Posts
I vote for the Ford for all the reasons given above. It will do more work and you won't be paying on a new tractor note which will leave more money for building and improving your property.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Save the money, take the Ford. That gives ya some $$$ to buy attatchments and equipment for it. The price is not all that horrible. I see old Fords and John Deers that are 30-40+ years old going for 7 to 12k for well maintained and equipped machines.

·
Registered
821 Posts
None of my business but, why does your dad want to charge you his son 9Gs for his old tractor? :dunno: As I said, it's none of my business, but if it was me and you were my son, after getting use out of it for so many years, I'd give it to you! But of course I think differently than some people. I guess I'm just an odd ball. :rauch10: PJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts