My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that Honda makes the best snowblowers around. I typically like to buy quality brands and pay more and have them last. My question is I found a used 2003, Honda HS928 for sale, its for sale at a dealership and was a trade in. They dealer said it runs excellent and the pics are pretty good. They want $900.00. I have been looking on CL for many months and have a only found two used Hondas in New England! So that tells me once people buy one they hang onto it.

A new HS928 goes for about $2,600.00

Now i have heard that these snowblowers last for 25 years..... should I break the bank and get the new one or go for the $900.00 used one? My last snow blower I bought was a used Craftsman with a B&S motor and I hated it, it was not reliable at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2008 HS928 in January for $900. One that's 5 years older for the same price seems a bit steep to me. I bought mine from the dealer who got it as a trade in.
richard

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
That's a tracked one, yes? If so, see if has the freewheeling function so you can push / drag it around with the engine not running.When they lack this funtion, they are a pain to move around.

Other than that, if it has a GX motor on it, go for it if all looks well with the used machine otherwise. Pay special attention to the auger gearbox as they see some abuse as the traction available is pretty large,, and being " plowed " right into big snowbanks is hard on them.

Even with some minor repairs, at $900 it seems like a decent way to go.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That's a tracked one, yes? If so, see if has the freewheeling function so you can push / drag it around with the engine not running.When they lack this funtion, they are a pain to move around.
Don't try to move a track drive if it's not under power - it is not easy. What you need to do is place it on a dolly cart during the off season so you can move it around your garage, shop, etc... without having to start the engine.

To the OP: You will find that people who have only used a track snowblower once or twice will have disdain for them. Once you learn how to let the machine work for you instead of the machine working you, it becomes very easy. Operating a track drive is fairly simple if you have snow under the tracks. What you gain is unbelievable traction, especially if you have a sloped driveway like I do.

The other huge benefit is the EOD slop that the plow leaves behind. A track drive just chugs right through it and keeps on going. No back and forth, side to side shuffling required like what often happens with a wheel drive unit. I'm not knocking wheel drive models as they are what I used for the last 35 years. It's just the track drive is a whole different animal and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to operate.

Oh, one other thing, once you get a Honda snowblower you probably won't get another snowblower for many years to come. The fit, finish and build quality is second to none except perhaps Yamaha (not available in the US).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts