My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, well I was looking on the Home Depot website here in Canada and they dropped their price of the LTX 1045 down to $1699. I gave my local HD a call and they priced it for me with shipping and everything to my house it came out to be around $1900. It has the 20hp Kohler. I've been doing some reasearch on these model lawn tractors and all I've been seeing were bad things; ie: throwing belts, engine blocks cracking, headgaskets going, mufflers braking, endless deck problems, etc. It seems like a pretty good price for a mower. Now I was at a local Cub retailer (not HD) and priced one and it was in the $2300 range so that's why I'm leaning towards HD.. for the price. I've also heard that HD machines aren't a good choice but to me it doesn't make sense. It's the same machine as anywhere's else. You still get the same warrenty? My question to you guys is it a good idea to buy this machine? Are they reliable? Do they really fling the belts that bad and have that many deck problems? Is buying from HD really that bad of a choice especially since I could check the oil before starting, double check all the fastners, double check deck alignment, check tire pressure, etc which HD seems to do a bad job of? I'm just looking for your input into this specific machine and place to buy it. Thanks everyone for reading and have yourselves a great day!

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
The Only Thing That I have heard That Can be bad On the Cub Cadet Lawn tractors sold at either the dealer or Home Depot is the single cylinder Kohler Courage’s seem To Have More Problems then Most Engines Out there while the twin Kohler Courage’s don't seem to Be to Bad. In Your case You Might want to consider a LTX1046 Because In Canada It at least has a Kohler Courage twin Over the single. Down Here In the states it we can Get a LTX1046 with either a Kohler or Kawasaki and the Only One You can get with a Kawasaki is the LTX1050 That just My 2 cents is Try to Get a Tractor with a twin cylinder if Your Going with a Kohler Courage engine see also down Here in the states we Can Not get the entry Level Hydrostatic Cub Cadet LTX1042 with a Kawasaki twin There are Only two Cub Cadet Lawn tractor Models In the states with Kohler Courage singles as of the 2012 Model Year:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
Sergeant is correct. Stay away from the Courage single cylinder if possible. Go for the twin or the Kawasaki. The money you save now will not last long with the single cylinder Courage. Even if you're great at maintenance, they still have oil leaks, mufflers separating from the engine, bad starters....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my 1045, going on my 5th summer. BUT, I found loose closure plate bolts, and I have been fanatical with the maintenance. I am happy with it, but given the choice again I would have liked the twin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks for everyones thoughts on this. I was in a real bind. Even though it's not grass season here yet the mower was on sale for a couple weeks so I figured i'd ask about it. My father and I now agreed we should go to our local dealer (which also does service on equipment) and get a 1050 KW. Even though more expensive, it will most likely pay for itself in the long run? Anything I should be aware of the 1050's before buying? Once again, thanks everyone!

·
Proud Wheel Horse Owner
3,212 Posts
Have you thought about buying used and saving a grand or more? You might take a look at the other thread here on the CC forum where a guy is asking for advice, and receives some pretty good info from folks here.

I'd take a solid built 1980's something over anything built on "price point consumerism" today.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
The 50 inch decks are quite large for that small of a tractor, in my opinion. There's a stabilizing rod that helps control the torque-twist of the deck when engaging the PTO. That rod can get worn over time, keep an eye on it and the clip that holds it in. Also, idler pulleys on these decks are junk (Cub actually uses them on plenty other models too), and the ones for the drive belt are as well. The deck idlers I've seen go at under 50 hours, while the drive idlers seem to last longer. Keep an eye on the hood bolts, where they mount hood to hinge. They tend to work themselves loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts