My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an SS15 soon, as detailed in my "Quest for the 2nd Suburban" thread. I talked to the guy buying my 8XL, who knows a bit about Sears tractors, and he said the engines in the 15's were bad, and thats why they were a one year only thing. So whats the truth? What do you guys think of the SS14's and SS15's?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
my ss15's are great. the 16 briggs in my wards is great. i use one of my ss15's to pull my 8x16 trailer around the yard and used it to pull a hayride on the same trailer last weekend with about a dozen folks on it. they are torqy! i love my tech 12 for garden work, but the 15 is better for the heavy hauling. the briggs carb is a diffrent animal, but you'll figure it out and its not bad. i like the points (external) too.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
thats news to me.... their not a high rpm hp motor like the 16 twin onans as far as pulling goes but their a good motor just a pain to get the carborator just right i believe i've only delt with one myself personally.... but our ss15 runs great pulled good to just had to use a lower gear

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so sounds like a bigger torquier tecumseh?? i always thought those were king of low end torque. and how do the carbs compare to the tecumsehs? or rather walboro i guess

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
the briggs has a very long stroke, and is a very tall and heavy engine. the tech will do the same work, just harder. the carbs are equally a pain in the ... but the briggs carb atleast wont fill the block with gas when it leaks. and lots of em do. a fuel shut off, and a real cleaning then good tune, i think youd really like it hugh

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
then i cant wait! i like the onan, when it runs, but having a nice put put tractor that does good work is the best i think. this is so getting a stack

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
good point on that with the tec's filling the crank case with gas... i had that happen a few times... but theres nothing really wrong with a 15 briggs... good long lasting motor

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome. sounds like it might pull better than the 16?????

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
then i cant wait! i like the onan, when it runs, but having a nice put put tractor that does good work is the best i think. this is so getting a stack
:trink39:maybe not as high as mine though, i gotta cut it to get her in the shed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
your twin would sound good with two stacks.... just have to get it to idle down more from what your one clip on youtube has..... alot lot lower

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea the idle right now is sick.. it will sound great with twin stacks. i think (hope) that fixing the pump is what i need to do.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
nah its in either your idle mixture or throttle cable adjustment for you idle being that high... or the idle screw itself is out of adjustment

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
pulling wise i'd prefer a twin.. personal preference but never know one day one will do better then the other next day it might be the oppsite

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the idle was just tuned to high.. its been lowered and evened out since then

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
ooohhh ok... if you got a ss15 it would be fun and totally different from your 16

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea with the onan, i pulled mostly at mid to high throttle, since that is where they peak in torque, the briggs, i will pull at just above idle

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am looking to buy an SS15 soon, as detailed in my "Quest for the 2nd Suburban" thread. I talked to the guy buying my 8XL, who knows a bit about Sears tractors, and he said the engines in the 15's were bad, and thats why they were a one year only thing. So whats the truth? What do you guys think of the SS14's and SS15's?
What year is the tractor? I think that answsers the reliability question. I've had good luck with briggs over the years. I wouldn't be at all worried about the 15 hp.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
its a 72 I THINK. they were one year though, but im positive its a 72

1 - 20 of 33 Posts