My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 or so MTD snowblower my brother gave me when he stepped up to a Husky. It has/had a Tec LH195 SP Snow King on it which has been nothing but a pain between the carb and compression issues. Long story short, I'm done dealing with it. I was going to go with the Honda Greyhound clone from HF which was on sale for $99.99, but the shaft diameter is 3/4" and the existing engine is 7/8". I was thinking I could order new pulleys with a 3/4" bore but that will throw off my belts. Seems like everything out there is 3/4" shaft so far.

Anyone have experience with SpeeCo from TSC?. I tried to pull up specs on the net but found nothing, anyone know if these are decent?. I'm open to any suggestions, but looking to keep it cheap - Like $150 or under - and not a Tec. for sure. This thing just isn't worth more than that.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
You might consider using a sleeve to put between the 3/4" crank and the 7/8" pulley bore.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might consider using a sleeve to put between the 3/4" crank and the 7/8" pulley bore.

Mike
That's what I was hoping to do, but I don't see anything available [through a Google search anyway]. The only sleeve I saw available was to go from 7/8 up to an inch and 3/16 to 1/4 keyway.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I put one of those harbor freight engines on an old toro 3521 at the beginning of the year. The 3 months or so probably wasn't a good long term test, but it worked great every time I used it. It was a perfect match for the old Tecumseh 3.5 that was on there. Only thing I had to do was move the rod for the chute control. I was in a hurry and lazy though, so only thing I did was screw a piece of a 2x4 between the handle bars and the mounting bracket.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
how will shaft size throw off the belt routing? I dont see it; crank height from the base will do more for belt issues.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how will shaft size throw off the belt routing? I dont see it; crank height from the base will do more for belt issues.
Not the routing, the length. I was/am assuming a pulley for a 3/4" bore pulley would be slightly smaller hence needing a slightly shorter belt.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a pic or reference to that blower? I may have an engine for you.

Dan
MTD model # 31A-3BAD729

OLD MOTOR IS A TEC LS195-67517D

·
Registered
349 Posts
You should be able to find a 3/4" bore that is the same diameter as the old one.

I was doing some research and see that some people go with a bigger engine and then a slightly bigger pulley to spin the impeller faster for better distance. I was thinking about doing something like that with another blower I have, but have not tried yet.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put one of those harbor freight engines on an old toro 3521 at the beginning of the year. The 3 months or so probably wasn't a good long term test, but it worked great every time I used it. It was a perfect match for the old Tecumseh 3.5 that was on there. Only thing I had to do was move the rod for the chute control. I was in a hurry and lazy though, so only thing I did was screw a piece of a 2x4 between the handle bars and the mounting bracket.
From what I read and hear, they are great engines. For $99 how can you beat it. I can't get a used Briggs or Tec for that money. I'm not crazy about buying straight up Chinese but I'm sick of being shafted by equipment, especially when it's well taken care of.

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
MTD model # 31A-3BAD729

OLD MOTOR IS A TEC LS195-67517D
I was able to look up the blower itself, but that LS Tecumseh number doesn't come up anywhere, the model should be HSK or something similar, are you able to find that on the tag anywhere? If not can you send me a couple of pictures of the engine? I have a good low hour engine here, that I think will be a direct match.

Dan

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should be able to find a 3/4" bore that is the same diameter as the old one.
That may be my next move. I have some time before the white stuff hits. I'm trying to be a scrooge on this repower. It's an entry level blower to start with and it's only used to blow paths around the property.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have you checked how many shafts are on the old engine?

Some of them use the camshaft for the wheels and the crankshaft for the augers.

Yea, I did some research on the greyhound engines and most people tend to like them. Most people seem to be using them for go karts though, so I wasn't sure how it would work in the winter. I was running it with the air filter on and no covers on the linkages and never had anything freeze up. Can be kind of funny putting it away and realizing you forgot to take the engine off idle though...

The only slight problem I noticed was it needs to be choked to start, even if it is already hot.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to look up the blower itself, but that LS Tecumseh number doesn't come up anywhere, the model should be HSK or something similar, are you able to find that on the tag anywhere? If not can you send me a couple of pictures of the engine? I have a good low hour engine here, that I think will be a direct match.

Dan
LH195 SP - 67517D

Sorry about the typos.........Below are the crank dimensions I need.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Not the routing, the length. I was/am assuming a pulley for a 3/4" bore pulley would be slightly smaller hence needing a slightly shorter belt.
The pulley diameter is measured from the center of the shaft, the diameter of the shaft will not make a difference if you have access to a 3/4" bore pulley of the proper diameter.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The pulley diameter is measured from the center of the shaft, the diameter of the shaft will not make a difference if you have access to a 3/4" bore pulley of the proper diameter.

Mike
Thanks for the info Mike, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not really important unless you are ordering a new pulley online, but the diameter is from one side to the other, center to side would be the radius.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Not really important unless you are ordering a new pulley online, but the diameter is from one side to the other, center to side would be the radius.
OOPS! My face is red. Right you are Shryp and it is important. Improper terminology can lead to major mistakes. Thanks for catching that.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate the offer, but I'm steering clear of Tecs, which is limiting my options.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts