My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 1980 Graverly 1138 serial number 00579196 The engine is a Briggs and stratton 11hp model 253707 type 0137-01 code 86030411 I was looking for engine overhaul kits. the reasone being is that I had someone recently rebuild the carb for me they told me they put the governor on the factory setting it was supposed to be at and heard a ticking. so they turned my governor down (lower speeds) to put less stress on the engine and it also stopped the ticking. I want this lawn mower to last a long time. It was free and I can't afford a brand new lawn mower. Anyone have any ideas for me for things that I can do or change on it I am open to anything.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Richards Lawn and Garden in W Va is a good source for parts, at a reasonable price - I just placed a large parts order with him and received it within about 4-5 business days. Also check out Chip Old's "oldgravelys.net" website for an owner's manual, if you don't have one. Everything on his site has been donated and is free.

·
Banned
131 Posts
If "I was looking for engine overhaul kits" for obsolete Briggs & Stratton I'd consult a B&S dealer 1st. There's probably 1 in your home town. My local Briggs dealer was happy to give me an extremely useful print out of the complete parts book for the 16hp on my GRAVELY 8163-G. It saves them considerable time by enabling their customers to look up P/N's. I'm not sure if anybody sells "kits" & suspect you'd need to order specific parts individually. The GRAVELY 1138 parts book might only show the whole motor as a replacement unit & perhaps itemize major components like the starter or carb. This is typical of other GRAVELY part manuals, since the motors are not GRAVELY items. At the very least, armed w/the P/N's & dealer prices, you'll have a basis for comparison when you call other suppliers like Richard's L&G.

Generally a GRAVELY "owner's manual" won't provide detailed repair instructions or any parts breakdowns. Suggest you also look at the appropriate Service Manual for GRAVELY 1138, or in this case, pick up the common B&S repair manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts