My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for advice/lessons learned on the wheeled trimmers. They don't use "string" but replacable short lengths of heavy nylon and have rear tires remenescent (sp?) of a bicycle. I know that Sears, etc. sells them, but don't know anyone who has one to ask. I have a Stihl "weedeater" which will probably outlast my grandkids, but the wheeled unit seems very intriguing.

Thanks,

Ev

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That's a good question. I'd like like to know myself. I did see that DR makes
a self-propelled one but it's expensive. They look interesting but I'd hate to buy
one without some reviews or advice.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Everyone in the sierra foothills of Ca has a string trimmer there are many brande here and they all work great. we dont get summer rains so our yards are a huge fire hazard. The only thing that is not so great about them is that mine has claimed the lives of 2 auto window and 2 house windows. Great for weeds and tall grass.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I bought one once on a auction. It was a Cub Cadet and was like new. I used it off and on for a year, went back on a auction the next year. For me, trimming is going around trees, buildings, fence posts, and parts in ditches. If was not as handy and as fast as a normal weed eater. I run a Stihl FS 100 RX. Now Im not saying the wheeled units are junk, they do have their place, I just never found the place, and 6 years later, still havent. :thThumbsU

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I like the bearcat brand (made by ECHO) trimmers...they can take a large metal disc as well as the string head and are about the best built on the market.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a smaller, older DR Trimmer. I have farm fencing surrounding 3 sides of my acre lot and it does a pretty good job of trimming along the fence (the handles are used to tilt the trimming head). However, the fence does eat the nylon cords if not careful. It is not that great around trees or anything you have to be too careful about...I just use a normal string trimmer.

Speaking of string trimmers...are any of the string head replacements (that does away with the string) worthwhile?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a smaller, older DR Trimmer. I have farm fencing surrounding 3 sides of my acre lot and it does a pretty good job of trimming along the fence (the handles are used to tilt the trimming head). However, the fence does eat the nylon cords if not careful. It is not that great around trees or anything you have to be too careful about...I just use a normal string trimmer.

Speaking of string trimmers...are any of the string head replacements (that does away with the string) worthwhile?
That's the input I was looking for, if you have to use a string trimmer around trees, bushes, etc. then instead of shortening yard maintenance time it would lengthen it.

As to the string head replacements, I know several folks who have put them on Stihl units. They have (replacable) plastic blades rather than string. Howevver, they also eat trees, shrubs, etc.

Thanks,
Ev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts