My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
J.I. Case Connoisseur
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 76 446 with bf-ms/3177e The tractor will not start or run unless you manually add gas ( i used a spray bottle ). My assumption is the fuel pump is bad. Fuel flows feeling from the gas line when pulled off carb. There is suction when the vacuum line is pulled off of front of carb. And the carb is dry when the tractor dies from lack of gas. It has the fuel pump on the carb. I want to bypass this and add an electric pump. I was reading this thread and am confused. Do I use the actual fuel inlet on side of carb or do I block that and use the vacuum port on the front? Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Use the fuel inlet. The vacuum port is irrelevant to gas flow, as long as the rubber diaphragm isn't perforated. If it is, then remove the hose to the crankcase and plug the open end of the hose to maintain crankcase vacuum.

If one wants the swap to look really neat, there is a plate listed for that carb without the pump, it only has one connection for gas in. Don't know how hard they are to find though, I lucked into a used one a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I put a small electric pump on mine. I took the original fuel pump apart and removed the rubber bladder inside it and connected the new fuel pump to the original inlet.

Here is a shot of how I have mine mounted. I bought it at NAPA for around $25 and it works great. As soon as I turn the key on the pump comes right on and I'm good to go.

I also have a rebuild kit new in the box for your pump to if you're looking for one. The only way to get it I believe is to buy the entire carb rebuild kit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts