My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is an AGM battery overkill? I did get slightly over 4 years on my OEM battery. Looking for recommendations for what to get. Thanks, Ralph

·
Registered
182 Posts
I go AGM in whatever i can. Motorcycles, lawn equipment, deep cycle boats batteries, etc.

They last longer, tolerate discharge better and resist vibration better. It's also nice being able to mount an AGM in any orientation you need too. For example, when I swapped a VMAX engine in my Yamaha venture, the taller carb assemblies took up most of the battery space. Because it was an AGm, I was able to place it on it's side and mount it to the bike.

I'm a little bias I guess, I jumped on the AGm bandwagon and haven't looked back. They do cost a bit more than "regular" lead acid batteries though....

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been swapping to AGM on everything as well. I just don't know what are my options for this machine. It seems very limited. Maybe I am missing something. Thanks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is an AGM battery overkill? I did get slightly over 4 years on my OEM battery. Looking for recommendations for what to get. Thanks, Ralph
I'm going on 7 years with the original OEM battery in my X500. My previous JD 175 Hydro went 9 years on the original battery. AGM batteries are the way to go if you are using them under conditions that warrant them but quite frankly a garden tractor isn't one of them. Also, I think if you check the warranty on AGM batteries you'll find it not much different than that of a wet cell lead-acid.

I've stuck with the JD OEM battery in my garden tractor and 2720 CUT and for the price they do just fine.

The X590 battery is 500 CCA, Group 51.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm going on 7 years with the original OEM battery in my X500. My previous JD 175 Hydro went 9 years on the original battery. AGM batteries are the way to go if you are using them under conditions that warrant them but quite frankly a garden tractor isn't one of them. Also, I think if you check the warranty on AGM batteries you'll find it not much different than that of a wet cell lead-acid.

I've stuck with the JD OEM battery in my garden tractor and 2720 CUT and for the price they do just fine.

My GT has a winch, which taxes the battery pretty hard. AGm lets me run it down and charge it back up. It's abuse that a "flooded" battery won't tolerate/survive as long under.

But if You're just cutting grass, you can get away fine with a flooded acid battery. Just keep a battery tender on it to maximize it's life.

:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I do wish my OEM battery would have lasted that long. I know my options are limited. I am looking for recommendations. Thanks, Ralph

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
John Deere Dealer TY25876 , take the core back for a refund.

·
Murph
1,907 Posts
Walmart batteries for me, they last as long as anything I've purchased plus I can buy two of them for the price of one Interstate or Deere brand.

·
Registered
99 Posts
AGM is definitely not overkill. Interstate batteries are sold at costco for a pretty good price if you happen to be a member, otherwise the everstart brand from walmart is a decent battery and comes with a good warranty (usually 3 year replacement, 2 year pro rata or something to that effect). I have never used a warranty, but its nice that its there. Both those options are probably cheaper than the AGM, but I haven't priced them out.

EDIT. Now that I am looking, I am not seeing an AGM that would fit? I can only find an ac delco on amazon or a duralast from autozone, neither of which are something I would consider.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is often true CCA450 / CA to 555 is common on AGM batteries in this size. Optima included in those numbers. However, this number is excellent condition batteries. LA will deteriorate faster and still work a long time but have way less CCA. Overall you get consistently higher CCA with AGM in my experience. 450 is adequate oomph.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I found AutoZone has very good options. I bought a U1-3 AGM battery to get the higher CCA/CA at very good price under $50.

The AGM is still a lead acid. It just has the glass mat that holds the acid and makes the battery more rugged.

·
Registered
304 Posts
So what would be the expected life of an AGM battery?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So what would be the expected life of an AGM battery?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Generally I get 7-10 years. Long enough for me to not remember clearly the last time.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi Ralph, long time no see, hope all is well with you. For those that dont know back in 2015, Ralph was one of first people on this board to buy a X590. How has it been for you? Mine has been flawless. still working on my OEM battery - since I snow blow, I use battery year round

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Ralph, long time no see, hope all is well with you. For those that dont know back in 2015, Ralph was one of first people on this board to buy a X590. How has it been for you? Mine has been flawless. still working on my OEM battery - since I snow blow, I use battery year round
Hi Tony, all is good and good with my tractor too. Funny story about my purchase is the sales person at my dealership thought there was no difference in the X540 and X590 except for it being a newer model. I pointed out that the new model was no longer liquid cooled :laugh: Of course they had to order it for me. I only have 90 hours on it now, 4 years later. I 99% just use it to cut grass. Some tilling and sometimes pulling my trailer around the yard. I picked up a used 47" snowblower complete but have not had a chance to use it lol. I really did not need that attachment. I have a Honda blower that I haven't used either. I bought the Honda new right after the last big snow we got. I have yet to even put gas in it :tango_face_sad:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Walmart batteries for me, they last as long as anything I've purchased plus I can buy two of them for the price of one Interstate or Deere brand.
You got that right. AND there is a no BS warranty
Except for heavy equipment, Wally World is the way to go.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To keep the correct specs with a replacement I did not see much for options for agm batteries. I went ahead and picked up a yellow top today. Batteries plus gave my 10% off, still not cheap but not a high difference over an oem JD replacement. I am happy with it and it should last a bit longer the the original.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
How long will a Wal Mart battery last comparted to a Deere?

I have looked at Batteries Plus, but they seem to be way out of my ball park.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts