My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I've been researching the old 18/42 garden tractors, and I like them a lot, but I can't seem to find any on craigslist. Hopefully with a want ad one will come along. Where are you guys finding them?
Just a couple of questions:
are they stout enough to plow/pull stuff with?
can you pick them up for cheap?
I'm on a limited budget (no more than $200 or 250) so I'm basically looking at one of these, or an old Craftsman GT from the 80s.
Thanks,
gravelyman

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Hey guys,
I've been researching the old 18/42 garden tractors, and I like them a lot, but I can't seem to find any on craigslist. Hopefully with a want ad one will come along. Where are you guys finding them?

Hey gravelyman. Like me you are at a slight disadvantage because we are in the Northeast, where not many older Murray GT's come up for sale. When I say older I basically mean pre 1989 machines. I have no issues with the newer GT's, I just prefer the older ones. The ST10 I recently bought [in my avatar now, but also in my MTF garage for future readers] took 2 years to find and was a 3hour trip one way to get it. To be fair I was looking for a machine that was not beat on and had a deck, both of which narrowed down the choices. Pennsylvania is normally the closest they pop up [mid state or South East seems to be]. The way I search is via search tempest within a chosen mile radius. Another tip I have, just between you and I lol, is put Murray tractor in the search field, not Murray GT or Murray 1842. Many people just list the machine as Murray Lawn Tractor or old Murray.

Just a couple of questions:
are they stout enough to plow/pull stuff with?

Yes, there are several members on here that have plowed and maintained gardens with their Murray. A lot of the older machines ran the Peerless 2300, a transaxle used by a few manufacturers.

can you pick them up for cheap?
I'm on a limited budget (no more than $200 or 250) so I'm basically looking at one of these, or an old Craftsman GT from the 80s.

That's just about the right amount of cash. Depending on condition of course. Most older Murrays will sell from $100 to $300.

That
Thanks,
gravelyman
:fing32:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts