My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the forum, and I am lookin to upgrade my 22yr old Ford yt 12.5. I t has been a good mower, but i feel its is time to upgrade. My ?? is reguarding the x300 and the x304 I have been reading that the x320 has a better hydro, and i have logged several hours on a buddy's x324, and they are great machines, however my yard on the smallesh side and am looking for something with a 42" deck. My concern with the x300 and x304 is the fact that they only have 2 wheels on the deck, my old mower has a roller in the front and 2 wheels in the rear. My yard is not particulalrly hilly, but its not exactly flat either, I was wondering if x300\304 owners have any insite to the cut quality of thier machines??? I was also concerned about it wanting to scalp badly??? Or am i just too concerned with this??? I am wanting to buy something that leaves a nice cut, Any Advice??

Thank you

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Id go with the X320, the dealer can put a 42" deck on it if you like.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,417 Posts
My yard isn't exactly level and I don't really have scalping issues with 42 inch X300 and I have to mow in/along several shallow drainage ditches. I think it cuts great and have received several compliments from the neighbors as to how much nicer it looks compared the 21" Lawnboy (which also cut great) that I used last summer. The only place that you might have issues if there are mounds in the yard that are narrower than the deck, say where an old tree used to be. I think you'll be fine with the two wheels... If not and its a new machine, return it under the JD promise and try the X320/324 instead.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What advantage does the X320 have over the X300? My X300 has plenty of power, steers very easily, and has the same chassis, etc. as all JD's, including the 500 series.
Why spend thousands extra for a tractor to mow grass?

The 42" deck, however, on any JD will scalp high spots when you enter a ditch unless you go in at an angle. They only have two guide wheels---I know, since I have one. I'm not particularly happy with cut quality on level ground, either. Sears, Murray, White, Snapper, and Airens do a better job on cut quality. My neighbors' lawns remind me of that every time we cut.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have been very happy with the quality of my X300 with a 42 inch. It was a bit of a pain to get the deck perfectly level, but once that is done it works great for me. My past lawn was thick and very flat interms fo spots that would scalp. My new yard well its got goffer holes, small monds etc.. every where. Yes a few spots the deck does scalp down but nothing that concerns me. If it did I would just fill in the low spots or take out the high ones. Oh I also do run my deck pretty high - in the 3.5 to 4.5 inch range.

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
What advantage does the X320 have over the X300?
A stronger more durable hydrostatic transaxle for one. The X300 uses the same transaxle as the 100 series. The X304 used to have the the stronger trnsaxle, but they changed it to the same one as the X300 and 100 series a year or 2 ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for the replies, I appreciate any and all advice that i can get!!! I defiantly have to keep all of this in mind!!! BTw how high do you all cut your grass??? I like to mow around 2 to 2.5"

·
Super Moderator
16,489 Posts
A stronger more durable hydrostatic transaxle for one. The X300 uses the same transaxle as the 100 series. The X304 used to have the the stronger trnsaxle, but they changed it to the same one as the X300 and 100 series a year or 2 ago.
The X300 and X304 use the same trans as the LA165 and LA175 all other LA models use a Tuff-torq T40 Trans except for the LA105 which uses a peerless Gear. If you want to get a a X320 or X324 yes they come standard with a 48inch deck But they will also take a 42inch deck all X300 series models will take a 42inch deck. All X300 models have the same mower deck mounting Points they are all the same tractor except for diffrent trans,Engine HP and Rear tire size and the X360 has Hydraulic lift & Power steering The X300 series has the same frame as the X500 series tractors. So if you want a X300 series tractor with a K58 trans such as the X324 you can get it with a 42inch deck:thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
If I were you I would consider the 48'' deck even with a small lawn.Reason is because you can manuver better and trim around trees or flower beds easily with a 48'' deck.But with a 42'' the back tire will run into the object unless you stop and reposition.

I have a X320 and I like it and mow at 2.5 to 2.75 height setting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would prefer the 48" because it is a 3 smaller blade versus the 42" which is 2 larger blade deck. I think you get a better cut with the smaller blades and the underdeck airflow is better.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
On the 48 inch deck, all 4 wheels rotate so you can roll the deck out from under the mower with ease.
That alone was worth it for me:trink40:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well I had a Gilson YT16 and sold it and bought a X304, so I feel qualified to stick my $0.02 in here. While I haven't had many instances of scalping, I would say that you will not get as good of a cut with the X304 as you did with Ford. If you want to mainain the same cut quality I think you should go look at a Simplicity.
Steve

·
Registered
40 Posts
Steve,
That's a sad commentary, but the same as I've observed in my neighborhood. John Deere's cut quality is NOT on par with most other CHEAPER tractors. How can this be? Why did I spend more than $1,000 more for my X300 than my neighbors did for their Simplicity, White, Craftsman, Bolens, etc.?

I fully expect my X300 to be more reliable and outlast the other brands my neighbors have, but it will not leave the lawn looking as nice as theirs does. Sad, sad story!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice Steve and boboogto, Quality of cut is a pretty big concern of mine!! I know my Buddy's x324 cuts great, however he had lowered all the wheels on the deck, so that it rides on the ground, and i noticed that the x300/304 only has 2 anti-scalp wheels, so lowering then down so it can ride on the ground is not possible--Right??
I defiantly have something to think about!!!

Thanks guys

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,417 Posts
If the wheels on the 42" decks don't go low enough for your preferred cut height (ie higher than 3"), you can buy a wheel extension kit that bolts on and will lower the wheels. I don't remember the part number (BM25052 or something like that), but it is about $50.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
The 4 rollers are not suppose to touch the ground.All that will do is ware them out.
Only when the deck is starting to scalp.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
In my manual, it says the put all 4 wheels at 1/4-1/2 inch above what I mow at.
While I am mowing, I can see all 4 wheels rolling.
Edit=it says to adjust all 4 wheels 1/4-1/2 inch about the ground.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts