My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. You all were real helpful in getting me sorted with a franked mower I touch a couple of years ago so I'm hoping you all might have some good advice. I am in the market for a TLB or maybe a small excavator, I'm not really sure. I have a steep 5 acres and I need some machinery to do landscaping, trench digging, but also some bigger tasks like land clearing on a hillside for a patio, moving bigger boulders. My fiancé and I (well really just me) are looking to pick up a new property to live on in the next year or two. Also, this is the northeast so I'm also dealing with snow, cold, and earth that grows rocks. I think I have a budget of 15K maybe a bit more and probably want to be set up before spring. I am handy and have fixed motorcycles, boats, mowers, cars, and everything else but I haven't got into welding yet and not familiar with hydraulics.

1. I was looking at Kubota BX but it doesn't seem like that can handle bigger boulders? I'm thinking the size of a V6 engine block at least?
  2. I've seen some older bigger TLB's but I'm worried about maintenance and buying someone else's problems and then dealing with overkill and fuel for smaller tasks.
  3. Some smaller excavators seem like they might be handy but then I'm forgoing the loader which I might need for other stuff?
  4. My dream project is also to put in a pond.
  5. I'm not worried about buying used but when it come to this kind of machinery I'm not sure what to look for other than leaking seals?
  6. Stopped by a dealership last year but they seemed to want to sell me things that weren't what I needed.
Love to hear your thoughts, apologies if this is not the right forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Like what about this?

Kubota L4310 from 2001 for 16.5K.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
204 Posts
ALWAYS go bigger than you think you need! We were looking at subcompact tractors, and ended up buying a 30hp large frame compact, and now run a 70hp utility tractor. On 7 acres of farmland!

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
204 Posts
Also, don’t forget skid steers!
They are the most versatile machine you will ever own!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking I don't want to go too small. Not sure about the skid steer since my impression is that they are better for urban job sites and I need something that can make it up the trail behind the house which requires a bit more clearance, also the idea of having to change out the backhoe and loader parts might be pain?

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
204 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking I don't want to go too small. Not sure about the skid steer since my impression is that they are better for urban job sites and I need something that can make it up the trail behind the house which requires a bit more clearance, also the idea of having to change out the backhoe and loader parts might be pain?
You’d be surprised what a wheeled skid steer will go through. Ours has 50% tread left, and it will go through mud that is up to the bellypan. It also does great in the snow. As for the backhoe, most mount onto the quick attach plate, and use the auxiliary hydraulics. The take very little time to set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts