My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings folks! So, the larger tractors are totally new to me. I normally dabble in lawn and garden sized tractors, but I recently came across a nice Farmall Cub that really caught my attention. It's a few streets over from where I live and is sitting in this guys back yard. It's definitely new becasue it's never been there before. I saw the guy outside a week or so ago and stopped. It turns out he's a really nice guy and gladly walked me to the back yard to look at it. Apparently he recently inherited it and isn't quite sure what he wants to do with it. I guess he's an antique JD guy and has some monster old JD in his garage that he's restoring. The Farmall starts, runs and drives. It's a little faded here and there but I mean a LITTLE. It's really pretty nice. I have no clue what year it is and really know ZERO about these machines. I just like it. I did notice that it has original headlights on it too which appear to be mint. So, here are my questions:

- Is there anything I should be aware of while looking at this tractor - if I try to buy it?
- I'm sure there are a variety of different things that will determine value, but what are some things to consider?
- What's a fair price for one of these?

I sensed from the guy that if I made him a fair offer he'd let it go.

Thank you in advance,
Matt

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Get the serial # and send me a pm. I can look it up or you can try. I have a 1956 with some attachments. These use a unique "fast hitch" which only IH uses. There is a kit you can buy to retrofit your fast hitch into a 3 pt style. I can't give you a price since I inherited mine with the property.

·
Registered
316 Posts
About the only thing to look for is the crack ear. The ear cracks behind the coolant hose on the right hand side. Its hard to tell what is the valve without pics. I have seen them from $1000-2500 around here.
Kyle

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure if this helps or not, but the nose has a mesh screen on it vs. others I've seen that have what appears to be a cast iron nose.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
The serial number will give you a definitive year of manufacture, but...

Some 'hints' can give us some ideas of era...

What color is it? Red or Yellow/white (I BELIEVE that the yellow/white ones are all IH Cubs... but I won't swear to that).
The 'nose'... is it rounded, or squared?

The 'mesh' (or screen) that you mention... is on a LOT of older Farmalls... to help keep trash (bugs, chaff, etc) out of the radiator.

In my opinion... Cubs 'suffer' from the same malady that Ford 'N's and John Deere letter series tractors do... They are sought after by collectors... and the price is kinda driven out of 'whack' as compared to a similarly powered/equipped machine of the same era.

A Cub is only going to be about 8HP (or so)... of course with the gearing in the transmission and those large (24" I believe) rear wheels... that 8HP is pretty significant. And with the 1 point hitch that these had... you're looking at either proprietary implements, a "home-made" 3-point hitch... or towed implements.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the tractor... they are pretty collectible... and they are a nice tractor. I sure wouldn't turn one down, if the price were right...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found this picture online - wow, how I'd love to have this particular machine. But the one I'm looking at I'm almost positive is EXACTLY like this one. It even has the headlights and coincidentally the push plow too. I know it's a 4 cylinder for sure too.

Attachments

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
That photo is an earlier tractor... (pre-1970's for sure... maybe pre-1960's).
The turf tires on the rear will reduce the amount of traction you'll get, but... they will also reduce the amount of damage done to your lawn (etc).

...and yes... that is one NICE looking tractor!!! :fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Go to The Cub forum

Join up, go to the forum itself, and ask away.

Terrific site, very helpful people. There's also a chart somewhere with serial numbers vs. years built.

Great machines, around here they go for $2000 and up. Tireless workers, I use one to sickle bar my fields, and it just keeps on going and going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If it runs and has no casting cracks, oil pressure good...Its probably worth $2000-2500. That is what I see here in Central PA. The great thing is there a bunch of great guys who collect them and are Guru's on how they work. I'd buy it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a 49 Cub that I think is irreplaceable. On our 7 acre farm the Cub plows, harrows, cultivates, mows, pulls a cart and trailer, a more. They are much more than collector's items and will give you all the service you ask of them. Here in Maine a cub like the one you describe might go for around $2000 - $2500. Buy it--you'll not regret the decision.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Around CT, prices are around $2000 and up. If you take the serial number to farmallcub.com you can find the year. Or, post the serial number and one of us will look it up for you.
They are a good working machine, rated at 12HP, and a real 9+ HP at the drawbar.
I just pulled a 1000 pound trailer up a fairly steep hill, and my '56 Cub didn't even work hard.
My favorite use for it is with the sickle bar, since I have a lot of acreage to keep the weeds out of. Works great, and uses very little gas.

As mentioned, look for cracks near the engine and in the bolster (just under the radiator, holds the steering gear). Cracks there are serious, and for most, a deal killer.

The Cub website has a list of things to look for when buying. If there are no serious flaws, I'd suggest you buy it - you'll love it!

I'd start by offering $1500, and go up as high as you are comfortable with.
When I buy a tractor, I try to get the seller to include delivery, since I have no way to transport.

Are there any implements with it? That affects price, and some are hard to come by.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts