My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know RER's are hot I can tell by the energy on this forum:tango_face_glasses:
Anyone have any insight on what mower to buy? Are they all made by MTD?
There has to be someone here with some knowledge on these things.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
If you are referring to a Snapper style rer, they have released a Snapper Classic model which features their tried & true disc drive system.
I have not owned/used for decades but they were very dependable mowers back in the day; definitely worth a look at their current offerings.
Just a thought., good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will add Snapper to the list.
There are many mixed reviews with almost all ride on mowers. It's very tough to make an educated decision based on internet comments. ARGH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, either I guess. Depends on what machine and price.
I see pricing for a gas powered Craftsman for around $1200. to a col looking battery powered ride on for about 2500. plus.
Craigslist - the used market- has a couple around me that are a few years old for around $500-$600. But will need service. Or may be a head ache because something is broke or you can't get parts for it, like the JDrer I just got rid of, on Craigslist BTW.
So is it worth the extra $700. plus for a (shiny) new one. Still need to go get it with a trailer too.
There are a couple websites that deliver to your door but, you gotta pay for that.
I have two young boys so I want it to be easy to use about 28"-30" deck and user friendly, not like the Craftsman where the handles are in an uncomfortable position.IMO.
Could buy from a dealer near me for service, but we know how that goes.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
......Could buy from a dealer near me for service, but we know how that goes.
You may have to look around for one you can trust but I always buy my mowers from independent dealers for a number of reasons with service being at the forefront.
Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checking out the Snapper brand this week and found an independent dealer not too far away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I know you guys are on the edge of your seats in anticipation.:tango_face_glasses:
I called a few dealers in my area as well as Lowes and HD. Finding out John Deere doesn't even make a rear engine ride on any longer. Snapper just didn't turn me on for $2k and I didn't want a mower drop shipped to me. So I kept an eye on Craig's List and this Craftsman turned up.
When I got to the buyers house the mower wouldn't start. I think it was his fathers and hasn't been used in months.
He had no way to jump start it. So he took $100 off the price (reluctantly) and I took the gamble and pushed it too the trailer to get it home. Charged up the battery put in fresh gas and it runs perfect. Gotta say it looked well cared for even if it didn't start.
It's a 2008 13.5 hp Craftsman 30"cut. Paid$550.cash.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts