My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here is a picture of moving my utility trailer, Thought I'd share, (as a side, that's a GT I've built, not a part of selection)

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Let me say, what an awesome community. Everyone's passion really shines through, and i appreciate every bit of it. I still have not decided 100% on a path. I'm still interested in the S240, and still debating GT or a ZT as well. i saw a 2004 GX235 in really good shape come up today in my area for $3000 with around 700hrs. but being still green, wasnt sure what kind of deal that is.

I have to provide a bit of embarrassing information. I have an issue with loud bangs. Lightning, balloons popping, and backfires. somehow i developed the issue over time, it really bothers me, and it really holds me back from working on carburetors (small engines). maybe its an avenue i can address in another thread, but unfortunately i let it steer some of my decisions. which sucks, cause im that guy that does everything. built my house, i weld, love tools (grew up with tools). but it really holds me back.

back on track, someone asked if intended to clear snow with it. atm no, I bought a new Toro snowblower this winter, and been really happy with it.

Im very much about the "buy once cry once". if im being honest, the money i have been debating spending is over what i had originally intended. I'd love something bigger, but $ wise its just not in the cards for me right now. I'm also lucky enough that my father lives almost exactly 1km away, so i have access to all 3 of his tractors in a pinch if need him. full intend to till our garden with his bolens next year after we clear out more of the bigger rocks.

going to look into the commercial grade residential ZT's as someone mentioned, but living in Ontario id be shocked if they weren't priced way out of my comfort zone. The residential ones (Husqvarna, Cub, Toro) are all in the 4k range to start,

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I still say stick to your budget... walk into whatever dealers you have close at hand and give them a max 2k budget for a lawn mower... and let the wife pick one.

Then snoop around these froums to see what old school tractors from the 70s that you like, in general that era has some of the best looking, basic and yet capable garden tractors ever built, I mentioned Cub Cadet earlier because they have a huge following of die hard fans so parts and advice are fairly readily available... and the manual shift models have a fiber disc clutch so they actually do pull heavy loads very well. Personally I think the early Ford LGT series is a better looking tractor but I dont like the clutch setup... its a pulley with a spring that rides against the drive belt... its a very common setup on many brands but it can/will slip under extreme conditions... although you likely wont ever use your tractor hard enough to see that happen... Ive pulled a 4000 lb truck with my 10hp LGT tractor and that didnt cause the belt to slip.

If you prefer.. even the older hydrostatic tractors do pull well enough and are easier to operate but they are harder on fuel because they need higher rpm to work properly.... a foot controlled hydro is the best system to have for a loader tractor... but were trying to stick to your 2.5k budget here and that wont allow for a loader on anything.

If you happen to see an MTD-960 for sale in your area... buy it... after 218 tractors thats the most capable puller Ive owned... a 2600 lb boat on a trailer wouldnt even be noticable on a steep hill.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Let me say, what an awesome community. Everyone's passion really shines through, and i appreciate every bit of it. I still have not decided 100% on a path. I'm still interested in the S240, and still debating GT or a ZT as well. i saw a 2004 GX235 in really good shape come up today in my area for $3000 with around 700hrs. but being still green, wasnt sure what kind of deal that is.
Definitely a great community here. Lots of knowledgeable, helpful people, with a wide range of experience.

Don't know what pricing is like around you, it's definitely region-dependent (and also currency, of course, if in CAD, vs USD). Things are more expensive around here (New England), vs in some other areas of the country, where tougher equipment is more common.

From my very-high-level understanding, the GX-series Deere's sound nicer than the GT-series I'd been looking at. I think they have hydraulic power steering, and maybe deck lift. Which can maybe help them with running other hydraulic stuff. It is more things that could have issues, vs manual steering and deck lift.

I have to provide a bit of embarrassing information. I have an issue with loud bangs. Lightning, balloons popping, and backfires. somehow i developed the issue over time, it really bothers me, and it really holds me back from working on carburetors (small engines).
No need to be embarrassed. Just in terms of understanding, how does that impact this discussion? Wanting to get something ready-to-run, vs needing some engine work that may have it backfiring, etc? Or something different, like trying to find something with a quiet engine?

Im very much about the "buy once cry once". if im being honest, the money i have been debating spending is over what i had originally intended. I'd love something bigger, but $ wise its just not in the cards for me right now. I'm also lucky enough that my father lives almost exactly 1km away, so i have access to all 3 of his tractors in a pinch if need him. full intend to till our garden with his bolens next year after we clear out more of the bigger rocks.
Having nearby access to beefier equipment is great. If nothing else, at least short-term, it could let you get a mower for now, and then watch for something stronger, for pulling purposes. I forget if it was asked, but do you have room to store 2 tractors, if you went mower + pulling-tractor?

·
Registered
352 Posts
No need to be embarrassed. Just in terms of understanding, how does that impact this discussion? Wanting to get something ready-to-run, vs needing some engine work that may have it backfiring, etc? Or something different, like trying to find something with a quiet engine?
Well said.

As battery tech improves, electric options will become very mainstream.

I saw these electric options at HD, I don't know much about them, but they look interesting. Have you considered these?

1) Ryobi Lawn Tractor,

ryobi lawn tractor.png

Ryobi Zero Turn,

Ryobi zero turn.png

21 - 25 of 25 Posts