My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Craftsman GT 3000, 22 hp, 46 in deck (917.273080) for the day-to-day stuff. I'm looking for a project GT I can get cheap and tinker with. I'm new to small engine stuff but the work I've put into my GT has been enjoyable so far. I bought it used when I moved back in May.

My concern is my size. I'm 6' 6" and about 290 lbs. I can drive and use my Craftsman GT, but it is tough steering at times as my knees are almost as far forward as the front of the steering wheel. My BIL said no matter what I get I'll look like a gorilla on a tricycle. Unfortunately that's not far off currently. Since I am in no hurry or particular need for my project GT I can pick whatever I want.

I'm not looking to fan the flames of a brand war, but do remember seeing a thread where someone mentioned their GT was a "tall man's tractor" because it had extra room betweent he seat and the steering wheel (I think). Anyway, I'm fond of the Sears Suburbans from what I've seen/read on MTF. But, I've never driven one. I don't have any real "needs" for this project to fulfill. I would like it to have a decent size deck, say 42+, and I'd like a twin cylinder with 14hp or more. Ability to add a rototiller down the road would be nice but not 100% required.

Let's hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Mike

·
Still plays with tractors
2,285 Posts
I would suggest a Power King or Economy tractor. They are a big man's tractor. Below is a picture of a friend of mine with some family members sitting on three of their pulling tractors. These are some good sized boys and you can see the room they have. I have several of these tractors and I like them because I can stand up comfortably and mow if I get tired of sitting. They are easy to work on and parts are available. Sometimes not cheap you you have to know where to look.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Keep an eye out for a bolens 2000 eliminator, I am 6'4" and it was very comfortable for me. I paid $1000 for mine. I'm sure there are better deals out there though.

Jason

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
i'm a big fan of suburban's, but i think you might be cramped on one. you could do some seat mods i suppose. the montgomery wards i got the other day i very roomy, i'm 6' and my legs are streached out very nicely. where in michigan are you? your more then welcome to come try the sears on for size:trink39:

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
MTD 990's Whites and yardmans all have 3pt and hydrolic lift, rear PTO and are relativly cheap.

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
1980-85 Simplicity 7117 =aka= Allis Chalmers 917
large frame true garden tractors
w Sundstrand trans, Cast Iron Twin cyl, 17ponies.
1/4" steel frame, cast iron front axle,
approx 800-1000

or
Simplicity Sunstar w 20hp - serious tractor - you would like this one for sure. more $
bigger than the ones above, dual brake pedals, and other toys - also in an 18hp but the 20 horse is loaded w features. almost a subcompact tractor. I think late 80's to late 90's approx.
about 2K+
also avail in AllisChalmers and DeutzAllis flavours.

·
Registered
938 Posts
My Sears 16-6 (suburban) is the roomiest tractor I have. I'm only 6'1" and find most of them a little cramped. But then the seat padding is all gone on the Sears so I don't know if that's a fair comparison.
Those Power Kinks look awesome but I have never seen one in this area, well never seen one at all except pictures on this forum.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I am wondering if seat mods are much easier than getting another machine. Bolt 2x4s or similar to the original holes and bolt the seat on top of them, positioned further back as needed. This moves your weight behind the rear wheels. and you can determine if you like the changed balance.

I think it is worth the effort before getting another tractor. It also opens possibilities for your project tractor because you may need to move that seat back,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts