My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In need a a Power King rototiller for my 1970 metal body.
I would use a newer style pk rototiller just would need a bit of guidance, or pic to work out the fabrication! I have had a PK for 5 years! LOVE IT! just sick of the walk behind tiller, when I have the orange mule that can do it!!!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciative!

Man that would rather sit on his tractor then walk behind it! LOL

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
That's a good year to put a tiller behind because it doesn't have an electric clutch. One thing you do need to effectively run a tiller is the dual transmissions. If you just have a single, it may be too fast depending on your soil conditions. I have a list of parts suppliers for these tractors. Email me directly at jas11964 at yahoo dot com and I'll send it to you. One of the folks on that list MAY have a tiller.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a 1969 2414 with a tiller that is the style you need to for your tractor (mine are not for sale). Because your tractor does not have the electric clutch on the engine, the tiller needs to have an engagement lever built in to it. These are quite a bit harder to find but are out there (I am pretty sure that there are no more new ones left, but I could be wrong -- if anyone has any it will be Mission Manufacturing in Indiana).

I have seen several of the newer tillers that need an attachment clutch on the tractor sell on Ebay and other sites, but that would mean adding a electric clutch to your tractor.

Here is a picture of the engagement lever from my tiller to give a better idea of what to look for. I hope it helps. Also, I have some tiller manuals and diagrams that I will try to locate and scan into the computer later that might also help.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That picture is worth a thousand words!
I have contacted Mission in Ind. (Larry), and he was quite helpful.
If I went with what they have(newer version), it would be spinning constantly!
BUT!!!!(the tinkerer I am) I think by locating a second mule drive for a mower deck, and (I know this will sound horrible) mock it up with those levers and engagement pulley!?!?! seems similar enough, it may work!! Svae me from jumping on and off to engage it.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also! The pto thread is help as well!!!
Seems I may need to ad a swivel coupling at the engagement part!?!?!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am a believer in "Where there is a will, there is a way!" when it comes to getting things to work. Since the old-style tillers are hard to find, then alterations need to be made so we can use other tillers on our older machines.

As for your "tinkering", we have to do what we need to do to make things work. My tractor has larger than stock rear wheels so I need to alter the engagement lever when I get time -- right now it gets caught in the lugs of the rear tires and causes lots of headaches for me. Good thing most PK enthusiasts are not hard-liners on keeping everything original and stock on these tractors. Of course, there are times when it is difficult to figure out what "stock" was for certain years of tractors (those tractors made when a style change or option change often use a little bit of old and new style designs). Remember, there is no such thing as a bad looking PK, so do what is necessary to get it to do what you need it to.

I'll try to dig out my manuals and get some pages scanned this weekend if the better half doesn't have me running all over -- might have to suggest She go shopping at the Mall Saturday so I can get some of MY work done rather than the "Honey-Do" items. :sidelaugh

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts