My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any other plow brand that would work with my 1998 Murray Select, even if I have to modify it?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
If you have fabricating skills and the right tools, you can make any plow work. SleazyRider has fabbed an old Bolens Plow for his Murray GT complete with actuators/winches. I would say you are only limited by your abilities.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
One thing is for sure, you will be needing it up where you live. And if you look on Craiglook.com you might find one even if not in your area, but closer than I am to ya. There is always the Sears Craftsman model, that you could start with, and fab to fit yours.

Just do a search on MTF for snow plows. Some on here have completely built theirs from old air compressor tanks and the like. Just depends on your abilities.

·
Banned
465 Posts
One thing is for sure, you will be needing it up where you live. And if you look on Craiglook.com you might find one even if not in your area, but closer than I am to ya. There is always the Sears Craftsman model, that you could start with, and fab to fit yours.

Just do a search on MTF for snow plows. Some on here have completely built theirs from old air compressor tanks and the like. Just depends on your abilities.
There's a ton of plows in Michigan...along with everything else that has to do with GT's & LT's! Look on ebay. That's where I got mine and I only paid $6.49!

Sometimes, finding a plow that wasn't made for your tractor might work out even better.

Thanks for the kudos, BBY.

Bob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info. I tried craiglist weekly all summer, and no luck on a Murray compatible plow. However my father is a metal fabricator, but I was just curious to which brand would be easier to modify for it fit.

Thanks.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Stavos, there's no such thing as a "Murray compatible plow", nor does one make over another make it easier to modify. Whatever plow you find will have to be adapted. Most used plows will usually come with the plow mounting frame, which you would have to fabricate mounts on the tractor frame to accommodate it. And with your father being a metal fabricator, adapting a plow, whatever make, would be a breeze for him. I would also recommend keeping the plow to 42"....and be sure to mount it below the wheel hub center.

Here's a link to my installation.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=147916

Bob

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Murray model # is 24478. I don't know the Haban # though. Sears sells one compatible, for over 3 bills....

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Ah, Grasshoppah, those plows are Murray's own. :thThumbsU I was under the impression that he was asking about "any plow" and what would be compatible or easier to adapt.

Bob
ok, wasn't sure. The craftsman plows were almost identical to some murray plows, so look for a craftsman.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Outside of that last suggestion, some fabrication will be required to some degree to make even a Sears plow functional, but for.......:eek:mg:..3 bills?:Stop: :sidelaugh

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts