My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new weed trimmer. I have looked at the Stihl FS 70 RC and the Echo SRM 230.Both retail around $280.00. Anyone have any experience with either brand? I am leaning more towards the Stihl because of the performance from a farm boss chain saw my dad had many years ago.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I say the Echo only because of my own experience with them. I have a 1501 20 years now that has had the tar run out of it and still has 135 compression and another 2100 trimmer that doesn't have near as many hrs. but both have been trouble free. Same goes for my Echo saw and PB. Stihl is a very good machine but a little heavy that was the reason for my first Echo purchase (the 1501).

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Try typing stihl echo trimmer into the Google Custom Search box toward the center/top of the page. I recall this topic a few times.

I have a straight shaft Echo trimmer that is about 7 years old and is the perfect trimmer (for me). My favorite thing is that it does not get bound up on long grass like all of the trimmers I have used (and cursed at) before the Echo. It does not have the largest engine in the class but starts well, runs great, and does what it should better than larger engine units of lesser brands. It was about $270 at HD 7 years ago and well worth the flawless performance since.

That said I have two Stihl chain saws that I would not trade for others either. A 14 year old Farm Boss 029 and a much newer 16" light duty one for trimming smaller things.

You probably can't go wrong with either brand.

·
Sears tinkerer
94 Posts
Echo is the first upper tier trimmer I have owned. I found one in a throw out pile in my neighbor hood and honestly just picked it up for the carb but a little fresh gas and a carb adjustment and it runs like new. Its a GT-2000 home owner grade.

We have Sthil comercial grade at my church and they are great as well, but the fuel cap can be agrivating until you get the hang of it.

·
2-cycle Junkie
77 Posts
I have an Echo SRM-230 and it is a good trimmer. My advise if you choose the Echo 230 would be to spend the extra little bit of money and get one with the steel driveshaft, as it eliminates a lot of the vibration that the flex-shaft has. I got the flex shaft model ($280) and wish I had spent the extra 30 or so dollars for the upgraded driveshaft. Other than that it is a great trimmer, with plenty of power for homeowner use and a strong reliability track record.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I'm looking for a new weed trimmer. I have looked at the Stihl FS 70 RC and the Echo SRM 230.Both retail around $280.00. Anyone have any experience with either brand? I am leaning more towards the Stihl because of the performance from a farm boss chain saw my dad had many years ago.
STIHL all the way!!!! For an extra $20 bucks or so over the FS70 price, go with the Stihl FS90R trimmer with the 4 mix engine. The 4 mix is a four stroke engine, but runs on a two cycle gas-oil mix. I like the 4 mix engine myself. Lots of torque, power, and smooth running. The FS90R is a solid trimmer, and lots of landscapers use them. They are also very good on fuel. Good luck with your purchase either way!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I perfer the echo brand over stihl. I've had a lot of issues with stihl string trimmers and leaf blowers. I've had my echo gt2000r for ten years now, and have only tuned it up once, and only because I felt like I was neglecting it by not doing so earlier. It's always started on the first pull. I had a stihl BG55 leaf blower that drove me insane, and away from stihl. I still work on my cousins stihl equipment, because he swears by them. I guess you might want to bite the bullet and flip a coin. Everyone has their own opinion, and their own experience with each. I say as long as you stay away from craftsman, you'll be alright.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am still on the fence on this. I have read many reviews on the Stihl and Echo. It appears that the Echo has fewer problems compared to the Stihl. The unusual gas cap and starting issues seem to be common with Stihl, but many say the Echo is loud and underpowered. I will continue to research this. Summer is approaching rapidly and I need to make a decision.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
They are louder than most yes, but underpowered? The SRM-210's would take care of most work any homeowner and even commercial user could throw at it, and still start easy and run fine year after year. Like everything, newer models are getting cheaper and cheaper from all sides these days. Are you planning on buying from a dealer? They mave have a demo model for you to check out before you buy. You should also pick up and handle both units to get a feel for balance and overall personal opinion. They both will have flaws you might not like. It will mostly boil down to how it feels in balance and fit for you. Either one should serve you well. I like both Stihls and Echos for these different reasons.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I agree with echoman on this one. The echo has never been underpowered for anything I do. I never knew that dealers had demo models to try. That may have saved me from buying my bg55 that I gave away as a christmas present. Definitely see if the dealers in your area have this option, it will help you a lot.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
My friend has a commercial landscape business, and has string trimmers up the ying yang. They are all Echo.

I personally prefer Kawasaki, ( and so does he) but they are too much $$ for the crews to play with LOL. Echo is the preferred choice over Stihl for his crew guys , if that means anything . Very few breakdowns.:fing32:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.