My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come across a couple different mowers that caught my eye on the local Craigslist. The first one is this LT190 for $525.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/grd/d/boone-john-deere-lawnmower-lawn-mower/6861505150.html

My Dad has an LT180 that has over 700 hours on it and he's never had a problem with it. This one for $525 looks like a steal even if there are a few cosmetic issues.

Next one I came across is this 2018 E150.

https://fortdodge.craigslist.org/grd/d/farnhamville-2018-john-deere-e150-lawn/6861876515.html

The E-Series is the "chain store" series, correct? Have these gotten better in the last few years? I have looked into buying a new E-Series from the dealer as well. Are they any different than the chain stores?

Any info and help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
The main worry with the LT is the T40/K46 trans. The motors are great. That was the most popular commercial zero turn motor back in it's day. If the unit hasn't been abused I would take it over any L100 / LA / D / E unit just for the Kawasaki motor. The LTs are a pain to work on because the fenderdeck is welded to the frame.

The E you buy at Lowes or a dealer are the same.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Both of the mowers in my original post must have sold. I'll keep looking though. Would like to stay under $1000 for something.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
If you want to keep the LT180 FH500V engine a LX277 has the same engine but heavier duty transaxle and deck.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Thanks for the info. Both of the mowers in my original post must have sold. I'll keep looking though. Would like to stay under $1000 for something.
Did you call about the one I mentioned in post# 2.........I'm sure you could get that for a $1000 or less.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you call about the one I mentioned in post# 2.........I'm sure you could get that for a $1000 or less.
I have not inquired about it yet. Looks like a nice mower but the hand hydro doesn't sound very appealing to me. Also, it's tough for me to pay that price on something that has 1000 hours on it. It does have a lot of new parts though.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I have not inquired about it yet. Looks like a nice mower but the hand hydro doesn't sound very appealing to me. Also, it's tough for me to pay that price on something that has 1000 hours on it. It does have a lot of new parts though.
If adjusted right the hand hydro is nothing to put up and down. Same goes for it not having power steering, It is a strange mower indeed, even though no power steering it does steer remarkable well like it has power steering. It's a fine built tractor...........go drive one and you will see what I mean.

Some other JD265 owners on here will tell you the same.

If you are just planning to mow with it, why is the no hydro a big deal....set your mower height and forget it.

It would be a much better buy then even one of those new crappy jd mowers at Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess maybe I’m confused? I am referring to the transmission. Is the 265 a foot operated trans or hand operated trans. I have a lot of stop, turn around, and go on my lawn.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I guess maybe I’m confused? I am referring to the transmission. Is the 265 a foot operated trans or hand operated trans. I have a lot of stop, turn around, and go on my lawn.
Look at page 2-33 in this link.
https://www.slideshare.net/jsemfnksjfmf/john-deere-265-lawn-and-garden-tractor-service-repair-manual

John Deere 265 is hydro, a John Deere 260 is geared.

on a Jd265, you set the throttle to full throttle on the dash, then you have a lever next to the deck lift for going forward and reverse..........there is also a indent place for neutral when starting the tractor........It's fun and a breeze to drive. Turns tight corners too.

That foot pedal you see is only for setting the brake and emergency stops......use the lever to put it back into neutral will stop the tractor.

I agree with a hand hydro on the dash sucks but this hydro lever is in the perfect spot right along side the seat on the fender. Right where your arms rests anyway. You only really need one hand to steer this tractor the steering is so good.

If the above mower is close to where you live and still available it's worth a go look see.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I had a backup 265 I sold for $750 couple years ago. Kinda wish I kept it. The guy drove a hour and a half for it. Said he had a GX at home and needed mower for lake house.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
I had a backup 265 I sold for $750 couple years ago. Kinda wish I kept it. The guy drove a hour and a half for it. Said he had a GX at home and needed mower for lake house.
Just got off my X495 with Buford Bucket spreading some mulch........Still wish I would have kept my JD265, it was really fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
Just got off my X495 with Buford Bucket spreading some mulch........Still wish I would have kept my JD265, it was really fun to drive.
I had a GT275 which has same engine but just didn’t feel the same as the 265.

2,239 Posts
If adjusted right the hand hydro is nothing to put up and down. Same goes for it not having power steering, It is a strange mower indeed, even though no power steering it does steer remarkable well like it has power steering. It's a fine built tractor...........go drive one and you will see what I mean.

Some other JD265 owners on here will tell you the same.

If you are just planning to mow with it, why is the no hydro a big deal....set your mower height and forget it.

It would be a much better buy then even one of those new crappy jd mowers at Lowes or Home Depot.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.
Those tractors at Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears come with a warranty. You have recourse with a store. You have nothing from a private owner. That tractor is 28 years old too with a lot of hours,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those tractors at Lowes, Home Depot, and Sears come with a warranty. You have recourse with a store. You have nothing from a private owner. That tractor is 28 years old too with a lot of hours,

I’m thinking the same thing. I’d hate to spend $1000 on a 20+ year old tractor and have something go wrong with it.

I went and looked at a Cub Cadet XT2 and a John Deere S240. Also, JD is offering $300 off the X330 but it has the same trans as the other two I mentioned. Right now I’m leaning towards the XT2 LX46.

I have some thinking to do.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
OP only wants to spend less then a $1000.................so you don't get a warranty on anything when spending so little.

In the end OP will get less tractor buying one of those lesser JD's at a box store and spend more money.
I would take my chances with 2 older jd's then a newer lesser quaility mower from one of the box stores for same amount of money.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
This is just personal preference, but for me, once I used my first foot controlled hydro there was no going back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I’d want a foot hydro as that’s what I’m used to using and find it easier to use than anything by hand.

For a used unit I’d want to stick under $1000. If buying new I’ll obviously spend more. Both Cub Cadet and John Deere offer 0% financing that I’d take advantage of.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I didn't realize financing was an option for you; in that case go buy yourself one of those Hustler raptors with the flip up deck

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Yeah, I’d want a foot hydro as that’s what I’m used to using and find it easier to use than anything by hand.

For a used unit I’d want to stick under $1000. If buying new I’ll obviously spend more. Both Cub Cadet and John Deere offer 0% financing that I’d take advantage of.
Thought the same as you until I got a Jd265........the hand hydro where it is positioned on the tractor was so easy to use and comfortable it was unbelieveable. Don't knock until you try that tractor.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts