My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. A little info on what I am looking to take care of. We are on a half acre, not a large property at all, but with the respiratory issues I have(COPD/Emphysema), mowing, and shoveling snow, really takes the wind out of me. Our property is a middle lot, the lot to the South is elevated above us, to the North, it sits lower. There are some slight hills to our property, to funnel water away from the pool in the backyard, and to funnel it away from our neighbor to the north in the front yard. As much as I hate it, we have a limit of about 2k on the tractor, I'm gonna talk with my wife later, and see if I can't talk her into upping the budget a little. Again, snow removal is a must, so from what I understand, a strong trans is needed. Driveway is a two car drive, but we must also keep the sidewalks clear, or face a fine. It's hard to tell from pictures, but here's the hilly side of the front yard, the opposite side of the garage is completely flat. The back yard is also deceiving, around the pool, the yard drops off about 5', and kinda steep.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
I would suggest used for a $2,000 dollar budget

JD 318 which average $1,800 to $2,100

325 anywhere from $1,600 to about $2,900 depending on year & Hours

GT225 anywhere from $1,300 to about $2,400 depending on year & Hours

GT235 anywhere from $1,600 to about $3,600 depending on year & Hours

GT245 anywhere from $1,900 to about $4,500 depending on year & Hours

LX255 anywhere from $900 to about $2,000 depending on year & Hours

LX266 anywhere from $1,500 to about $2,100 depending on year & Hours

LX277 anywhere from $1,500 to about $2,900 depending on year & Hours

LX280 anywhere from $1,900 to about $3,500 depending on year & Hours

Most of the liquid cooled machine in either Lawn tractor or Garden tractor would be beyond you Budget in Deere unless you went with a ever old series

The oldest series I mentioned was the 318 it was made from 1983 to 1992 But it is probably the most Popular Garden tractor ever made by John Deere This tractor can take a 3point hitch, rear PTO& power steering front Hydrualic lift and angle dozer Blade,Snow blower or thrower. Mowing decks 38,46 & 50inch

The 325 was made from mid 1990's until 2001 this tractor has Hydraulic lift for attachments such as front dozer blade,42inch single stage snow blower, 2 diffrent Tiller and most garden tractor drawn equipment ie plow,cultivator ect Mowing decks from 38inch to 54inch

The GT225,235,245 The have manual spring assist lift with either foot pedal control or implement lift handle, They can take a front dozer blade,snow throwers,30inch tiller Mowing decks from 38inch to 54inch

LX200 series is built on the same frame as the GT200 series has manual spring assist lift with either implement lift handle or foot pedal control it can take a 42inch front dozer blade,42inch single stage snow blower, mowing decks from 38inch to 54inch The LX280 model has Larger rear tires than the rest of the LX200 series models. The reason I didn't go much older on series to look at is because I don't know how much work you want to put into a machine alot of us here tinker with are machine and we buy older.

I would also suggest other used brands to look at such as Simplicity
with simplicity models such as the Broadmoor or Conquest.

Conquest anywhere from $1,300 to about $3,400 depending on year & Hours
Broadmoor anywhere from $1,000 to about $3,400 depending on year & Hours

The conquest is a Yard tractor That has manual spring assist lift and the transmission has Diff/lock on it IT can take a dozer,blade single or dual stage snow blowers or Thrower,36inch tiller 44,50 or 54inch mowing decks

The broadmoor is a Lawn tractor with automatic traction control which is great for a hilly Yard it can take a dozer Blade or or a single or Dual stage snow blower 38 to 50inch Mowing decks

I would also suggest Cub Cadet 2000 or 2500 series tractors There a good mid Leval GT or Deluxe Lawn tractor and can be had for your Budget with 38 to 54inch mowing decks and tajkes a 42inch dozer blade Or 42inch Blower as well as a 30inch tiller on certain models
Hope this helps :thThumbsU

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thank you, that does help. I attempted to explain to my wife the difference between a lawn tractor, and garden tractor. I told her that while a lawn tractor will push snow, it'll be hard on the transmission, and likely end up with costly repairs. I managed to get her ok for another 1k, so now I have 3k to work with. I also told her that yeah, 3k on a mower is expensive, but a funeral is minimum of 10k :D

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Do you have a drive gate in your fence since I only notice that walk thru gate Because if you don't just remeber you will probably need one if you get a Lawn or Garden tractor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a drive gate in your fence since I only notice that walk thru gate Because if you don't just remeber you will probably need one if you get a Lawn or Garden tractor.
Yes, I have a gate on the south side of my garage, large enough to pull my Silverado thru. Again, I appreciate the info Sergeant, thank you.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Cub cadet GT 2542 would work.

·
Premium Member
9,655 Posts
Lovely home and yard. Sargeant has some good suggestions for used. New you might get into a Husqvarna GT and blade. I don't think there is anyway you could buy a new GT with a blower attachment for that amount.

I might suggest another strategy. Use about 2K for a decent tractor, and spend the rest on a 24-26" Ariens walk behind snowblower. Walk behind blowers can go alot of places that a tractor can't, such as walkways and around cars. Bigger walk behinds can be hard to handle, but an 8 hp 24" is pretty easy.

By the way, based on your lawn decor I'm going to guess you've done some shopping at Costco.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lovely home and yard. Sargeant has some good suggestions for used. New you might get into a Husqvarna GT and blade. I don't think there is anyway you could buy a new GT with a blower attachment for that amount.

I might suggest another strategy. Use about 2K for a decent tractor, and spend the rest on a 24-26" Ariens walk behind snowblower. Walk behind blowers can go alot of places that a tractor can't, such as walkways and around cars. Bigger walk behinds can be hard to handle, but an 8 hp 24" is pretty easy.

By the way, based on your lawn decor I'm going to guess you've done some shopping at Costco.
Thank you, the front yard had been in for a year when that pic was taken. The back yard was still growing, it didn't get planted till after the pool went in. And the decor...Menards, and Lowes.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Also cub cadet GTX1054

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That is a very nice little piece of suburban property you have there. Where in the great state of Indiana do you live? Would you be willing to go used, because many 80's-90's John Deere and Cub Cadets go for around your budget and give you 10x the capability of what you can get new. Cub Cadet 82 series and the Cyclops tractors are very plentiful and relitively cheap. I bought my 1440 for 750 dollars. Its in ok shape, but I have seen really nice ones go for 1000-1500. I have found a snowblower for mine for 400 dollars. Plows can be found from 50-200 dollars.

Here are some in the just to show you whats out there:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/1917372840.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/1906013649.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/1914020980.html

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Very nice home you have. slkpk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is a very nice little piece of suburban property you have there. Where in the great state of Indiana do you live? Would you be willing to go used, because many 80's-90's John Deere and Cub Cadets go for around your budget and give you 10x the capability of what you can get new. Cub Cadet 82 series and the Cyclops tractors are very plentiful and relitively cheap. I bought my 1440 for 750 dollars. Its in ok shape, but I have seen really nice ones go for 1000-1500. I have found a snowblower for mine for 400 dollars. Plows can be found from 50-200 dollars.

Here are some in the just to show you whats out there:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/1917372840.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/1906013649.html
http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/1914020980.html
Thank you, I'm just outside of Bloomington. My wife would prefer I bought new, but I'm leaving myself open to used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JLB

I have a very nice Cub 2165 for sale listed in the for sale section. All you would need is a set of chains and the plow. There is a plow that would fit it on C-List. Try these links, hope this helps.

Sam

Cub 2165 http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=147768

Plow for the Cub http://york.craigslist.org/grd/1900283989.html
I appreciate the offer, but I'm not buying right now. I'm just looking at my options at the moment, gonna be a couple months yet.

·
Super Moderator
16,471 Posts
Thank you, I'm just outside of Bloomington. My wife would prefer I bought new, but I'm leaving myself open to used.
That why I listed late model used for you for the most Part except for the 318. Because Later model used shouldn't have major maintenance issues that you might come across with older than late 90's tractors:thThumbsU

·
Registered
670 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts