My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 1977 Lawnboy 5024, that belonged to my late grandfather, with a D433 engine. The lower bushing is shot and I'm having a hard time finding a new shortblock (681526). I would even settle for a used one. Someone on ebay told me that for this model I could even use the same motor from the 1982 model 5006 that was actually made for the snowblowers, and would actually work out better because it doesnt have the lower bushing instead it has another needle bearing that can be replaced if needed. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Until then, I'll keep looking!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip. I've been toying around with the idea of boring out the bushing and pressing in a needle bearing but didn't even know it was even possible. There is a millwright who comes into our shop sometime, I'll print this out and show it to him to see how much he will charge me. I've seen his work around the shop and he does excellent metal working without having his own shop tools.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind welcome Bruce! Nice set of commercials! I love the huge red gas tanks!!

·
Administrator
21,840 Posts
Greetings, Andy, and welcome to the forum. Nice to have new folks joining in, sharing their projects with us. Keeps the interest flowing. Let us know if you have any questions or problems.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Someone on ebay told me that for this model I could even use the same motor from the 1982 model 5006 that was actually made for the snowblowers, and would actually work out better because it doesnt have the lower bushing instead it has another needle bearing that can be replaced if needed. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. Until then, I'll keep looking!

That was me! You will hear many options from the guys on here. The suggestion I made was to find a D-570 from a snowblower or a D series from the last of the bricktops (5006) that had the lower bearing. I don't know if those were also called a D-570 or still called a D-433 like the older bricktops. Probably harder to find, but once you do, the labor is easier because you don't have to re-machine the lower bushing or anything...just replace the needle bearing. The snow engine has an extra fitting in the crankcase that you can remove, tap the hole and screw in a pipe plug. The mower engine doesn't have this and you can skip that step.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Welcome!!! Yeah these guys here are awesome!!! they know their stuff.

Great looking edger there! I love those!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jimbird89! I recognize the name from ebay. Nice T-Bird, my uncle had a black 77 with red interior, it was super sharp looking! I have a d series repair manual and it says that the lawnboy 5006 used the d570 motor, but nowhere in there does it say that it has a bearing in the bottom, but im sure it does. I found one on ebay but the guy wouldn't ship it in fear that it would break in transit. i think that i am going to just have mine machined, and might actually do 3 of them. I should have signed up for MTF a long time ago, these guys are great and have a wealth of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks wolfy! that is my first and so far only restoration. i thought that the edger would be a good small project, but after i tore it apart i found out otherwise. i got it done, it works and looks great so all the hard work was worth it. this year is my 5024. i'm gonna have it powder coated to save me some painting time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts