My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all .....

I have recently purchased 145 acres of property that consists of equal parts CRP/WRP and mature timber. It is all riverbottom ground that will be used for recreational purposes and as my "escape" from life.

I am trying to decide which tractor would best suite my needs .....

I will maintain a 1.5 mile long "trail" that runs along the edge of the mature woods and divides the timber and WRP. This trail will be nothing more than 4-5' wide strip that gets mowed a few times a year.

I will also be mowing off 2 or 3 separate 2 acre places to plant wildlife food plots. After mowing I intend to spray (already have an ATV sprayer) and disc (will be purchasing a disc for whichever tractor I end up with) the soil to prepare for planting.

I will also be planting 150 apple and pear trees (may use the tractor for planting ... I have a friend that has a 3pt auger) and intend to mow and maintain those areas as well.

I have never laid eyes on a Yanmar tractor .... all I know is what I have read on the 'net. They seem to be an excellent choice in the "bang for your buck" category.

Funds are limited so compromises need to be made in the "wants" vs "needs" areas .... of course I want 4x4, FEL, high HP, tiller, ..... on and on.

I figure I "need" at least 20HP and a bushog. Everything else will fall into the "want" category.

So .... guide me. Which model Yanmar would best suite my needs?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello and welcome. I too am looking for a tractor to use on my small farm. I can't help too much with the "what's best for you". But I will offer this opinion, I tried to work ground to plant food plots with a disc. Suffice it to say that my tractor will have a tiller. I spent hours upon hours dragging a disc with a lot of weight strapped to it after plowing. Your bottom land might be softer than my clay so your mileage may vary. Also if you get a bigger machine, you can drag a bigger disc, or even a chisel plow. But bigger tractors drink more fuel. For decades, farmers worked fields with the 6hp "beast" aka the Farmall Cub. In Indiana, you might also be able to hire someone to plant for you. Good luck!

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
Greetings all .....

I have recently purchased 145 acres of property that consists of equal parts CRP/WRP and mature timber.....

I am trying to decide which tractor would best suite my needs .....

I will maintain a 1.5 mile long "trail" that runs along the edge of the mature woods and divides the timber and WRP. This trail will be nothing more than 4-5' wide strip that gets mowed a few times a year.

I will also be mowing off 2 or 3 separate 2 acre places to plant wildlife food plots. ...

I will also be planting 150 apple and pear trees (may use the tractor for planting ... I have a friend that has a 3pt auger) and intend to mow and maintain those areas as well.

I have never laid eyes on a Yanmar tractor .... all I know is what I have read on the 'net. They seem to be an excellent choice in the "bang for your buck" category.

Funds are limited so compromises need to be made in the "wants" vs "needs" areas .... of course I want 4x4, FEL, high HP, tiller, ..... on and on.

I figure I "need" at least 20HP and a bushog. Everything else will fall into the "want" category.

So .... guide me. Which model Yanmar would best suite my needs?
:MTF_wel2: to MTF swilk!

I’ve been thinking about the size, wants and needs of your property. I believe if you start with a decent sized model like a YM2210D, that has power shift for ease of use with a loader and a box blade…then you have a basic package that will adapt to most any future 5’ implements down the road.

This particular model is the largest two cylinder with Power Shift that Yanmar ever produced. Parts support, should you need anything years down the road, is available through most reputable gray market dealers. It’s also 4WD, weighs in at 2195#’s, has the 25 HP 2T90 diesel engine…and it’s built like a tank.

Fortunately, there’s a dealer fairly close (in OH) that could suggest what’s appropriate for your punch list of duties for now and in your future.

Hope this helps.

Mark

·
Registered
271 Posts
2210D units have become increasingly scarce, and for at least a year demand has outrun supply. 5-6 years ago we were the only major dealer to feature that model; it has long been one of my very favorite. Unfortunately our enthusiasm made it clear to others what a value it is, and more dealers started buying 2210Ds.

We have a gorgeous 2420D, but it is signficantly larger (2880# vs 2270#) and more expensive than a 2210D ($7695 vs $6495 when we have one :>). We have two very nice 1720Ds, one with loader ($8795) & one without ($6295), that weigh in as heavy as a 2210D (2190# vs 2270# w/ UTDA equipment), but have a few HP less (though probably quite adequate for the tasks described in this thread), and a 1610D that is less expensive and about 500# lighter. Our "best buy" is an F18D (22HP and 2320#) on the lot for $5995 (normally $6995) and not far behind is a gorgeous F20D for $6995 that should be $7495. Both our F20Ds are priced below our normal margin since we are just now starting to retail the F series. The F18D is dramatically under priced because we picked it up from another dealer who had it on his lot for a year...it has been through our processing (except for paint....it was painted when he had it, and though it is weather-faded, it didn't justify a repaint) and carries our normal warranty. I think I heard somewhere that someone showing up with a pocket full of cash might even save a few hundred $ more on it (and that is, as a general rule, simply not the case on our lot....we generally have no wiggle room).

Wherever you shop, get references, several of them and some more than a year old (most people are happy at first). Too many people call us with tractor horror stories, and inevitably they did NOT get or check any references for the seller before buying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I had already made up my mind to make a trip your way if/when I decide to purchase a Yanmar.

If mapquest is correct I am only about about 4 1/2 hours away .... a nice little day trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2210 which is 2 wheel drive instead of 4 and I love it. I had to rebuild the motor about a year after I got it. New crank, pistons, rings but it runs like a top now. Bought it in 2002 from an auction company. But it does the job for me mowing approx. 10 acres with 5 ft. bush hog, grades my gravel driveway w/ 5ft blade. good tractor!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here's a link for ya':

http://www.lmtcompany.com/

LMTC (Little Miami Trading Co.) has been a great resource for information and help here at MTF. Mr. Foreman has also been around for many years....

Mark
Mr.? MISTER? Thanks for making me feel even older Mark. "around for many years".....hmmmm, I suppose so...I will be 60 in a few months. And 15 years in the grey market tractors puts us as long into it as just about anyone still involved in the market. Besides the above address there's www.ohiotractors.com or www.zennohtractors.com or www.zennohparts.com and 3-4 others, but they all go to the same website.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts