My Tractor Forum banner

Looking at Scotts 25HP 54" deck

38K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  johnd393 
#1 · (Edited)
Looking at Scotts Tractor 25HP with 54" deck

I'm going to look at it this evening. It's about 50 miles. The guy says he can deliver it.
It's described as Riding Lawn Mower with 25HP Kohler and 54" deck $350 OBO.
Smokes and needs work. Phone call determined it's Scotts by JD. Smokes at idle but runs pretty good. Didn't give model number or if it's a GT.

I just need to mow about 3/4 acre and something big enuf so I can sit my 6'2" body on it without my knees up in the air. I don't mind doing some work on it.

Any advise?

#2 ·
Well because of the 54inch Deck It Is either This Scotts By JD Garden tractor

Or it will Look similar to this Scotts Lawn tractor Hood But will have a Lift Handle Like the Scotts Pictured above and Not On the fender deck
:thThumbsU

#3 · (Edited)
Your pictures are great. Thank you. It looks more like the first one. The pictures on the Craigslist posting are fuzzy. What look like a black blur on the hood might be the louvers. Here's a link to the listing if you want to look.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/grd/3743611279.html

Had to edit this cus it looked like I was saying your pictures are fuzzy which is not what I meant. Sorry

#4 ·
Re: Looking at Scotts Tractor 25HP with 54" deck

I'm going to look at it this evening. It's about 50 miles. The guy says he can deliver it.
Smokes and needs work. Phone call determined it's Scotts by JD. Smokes at idle but runs pretty good. Didn't give model number or if it's a GT.

I just need to mow about 3/4 acre and something big enuf so I can sit my 6'2" body on it without my knees up in the air. I don't mind doing some work on it.

Any advise?
I don't know anything about a Scotts tractor, but if you stay with a John Deere you have lots of help available to keep it running. I would see if I can find a forum that addresses the Scott tractor see how information, and or help is available on line for one.

MyTractorForun.com has a good bunch of guys on it that can not only help you but they can save you a ton of money in some cases, its all free information and a lot of it.

Also this forum is easy to navigate and find information, I would stick with a John Deere and take advantage of this well run forum.

Rob

#5 ·
I wouldn't be driven away by the fact that it is a Scotts, and not a John Deere, it is debatibly built better then some of the newer lower end Deeres of today. I believe the Scotts in Sergeant's first picture is built off of John Deere's LX's platform and the second picture is built off the L series platform. Both tractors would hold up very well and make good mowers in my experience. Many parts will interchange such as attachments and any John Deere dealer should be able to easily get you parts for Scott's tractors.

#11 ·
You have a point, but you stated you should be able to get parts from a John Deere dealer, should is the big question.

Then once he buys the tractor and starts working on it, where does he post the questions, it won't fly very long on the John Deere section, so where does he go with his questions, he doesn't, he bites the bullet and takes it in to pay someone to fix it.

He's asking for advice, so its best to give him all the options we can think of.

Rob

#6 ·
Re: Looking at Scotts Tractor 25HP with 54" deck

Any advise?
I am quite familiar with the Scotts tractors - in fact I have the other S2554 listed on Chicago craigslist right now. Some of the Kohler commands will smoke at initial startup from oil weeping past rings - should clear pretty quick. If it continues to smoke after running a minute, chances are it has a blown head gasket. The 25 Hp Kohler commands are known for blowing head gaskets (usually on the right side). Replace both of them while you have everything apart - the head gasket kits are only $25 per side. That tractor does look like it has sat outside for a long time and you may have to change some deck spindle bearings which are pretty cheap and easy to do - belts are probably shot too, if original. I don't know if hoods are still available for these tractors? Looks like a deal - my biggest concern would be bearing issues from sitting outside, including clutch bearings. Good luck with it - you can always sell the deck by itself for $350 - $400, engine for $500 and the trans for $400. Let us know!

#7 ·
That's not too bad. It's the equivalent to a G100 which is a pretty good garden tractor, better than any other 100 series. They're not too common.

#8 ·
Hi i have the gt5000 with a kohler 25. It was a smoker. Changed the head gaskets and stiffened the spring on the governor, it will take your wits with the power. It's a very fast powerful tractor. I must tell you the blown gasket is from backfire. Always throttle up --- not down before you turn off the ignition. Good luck. That 25 kohler is a steal.

#12 ·
Offer him $200, if he balks, take a walk. You're the one taking a chance.

#13 · (Edited)
It's a S2554. The hood does have a big hole and the whole tractor looks pretty weathered. The hour meter is not working and displays something like 000022.The plastic fender extension parts are also broken. The ID tags under the hood and behind the seat are damaged. The serial number might not be intact, Didn't look close enough to be sure. The seat's shot. Tires are low. It was raining and everything was wet. He started it with a battery charger. It started quick enuf and sounds ok. It smokes after left idling for a while. I could still smell the smoke on my body after I left. I watched him drive it around forward and reverse. He engaged the deck and it sounded like it worked. The grass deflector chute is missing. I sat on it and just inched it forward and backward a little to see how the controls worked (I never had a hydro). I'm still disappointed with the fit, but raising the seat would help. My overall impression is that I don't feel really good about it.

#14 ·
i have that exact machine. very nice (minus the hydrostatic im more of a gear guy.) has good amount of torque. (she wheelies) my grill is shot worse than that one tho. mine smokes at start up and at idle and leaks oil through head gasket. but runs like a champ at full rpms. i paid 600 for mine but it was in basicly new shape with all gas recipts and service tickets.

#17 ·
The ID tags under the hood and behind the seat are damaged. The serial number might not be intact
Sounds suspicious, like maybe it was stolen at some point. I'm not saying the guy who's selling it stole it, but maybe he bought it from someone who did.

#18 ·
I think it looked more like damage rather than an attempt to hide the serial number. It was raining. I took a quick look. The tags were damaged. Some info was missing. Possibly the serial number may have been readable.

The seller thought it might be bought for parts. He seemed like an honest guy.

I'm gonna pass on it. I'll watch for a better one.
Thanks to all who posted.
John D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.