My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm new here and it seems theres a lot of insight on this forum which should help a lot after i make this purchase. My wife and I are looking to buy a new tractor. I've looked at a several tractors and can't make a decision. I'll point out the likes and dislikes of the tractors i've looked at and want to see if anyone can add pros or cons to each tractor. My wife will be the one running it 99% of the time. I want the front end loader for moving snow in the winter so i can get my tractor trailer in and out easily. She'll be able to do her yard work and mulching much easier in the summer. I want the availability to put a hoe on back at a later date if i desire.

Kubota bx2660: I like the fact that it has a forward mounted engine to keep debri out of the radiator. I like the fact that its a 25.5 horse engine and the entire drivetrain is Kubota. I like the price of $14,100 with a 60" mmm and LA243 FEL. I don't like the fact that i can't put a hoe on it. I think that the forward and reverse heal toe action will be a burden. I don't like that it does not have a folding rops. If i understand right there is ways to strengthen the frame on a bx2660 for a hoe....Is that correct?? I think that the insurance that they offer is great, i even checked with my home owners and he said he hates to give business away but its a great buy.

John Deere 2305: I've had a little seat time in this one, nothing extreme though. I like the simple detach of the FEL, i don't like where the hydraulic hoses connect under the floorboard. This one did not have a MMM on it so i can't give pros and cons on that. According to the dealer the 2305 has more hydraulic flow at and idle the any of its competetors. I also felt a little crowded on the seat the controls on the right and left of the seat seem to be real close to the driver. This one had a folding rops which i liked. I do not like the price however coming in at $16200 with a MMM and FEL

New Holland 1025: This has the Shibaura engine which i'm not to familiar with. It seemed that its difficult to work on with the loader on, it seems that its shoved way under the dash board. If i understand right, the loader is not a quick disconnect which is a big issue with me. It has the auto 4wd which is a plus but not a huge concern. It also has a folding rops with spring pins so you don't have to fight with lining pins up. It also has a little longer wheelbase for a better stance on steep grades. I also like the price on this one of $13500 with MMM and FEL.

I'm going today to look at Massey ferguson and cub cadet. I've looked at the tym website and the mahindra website. I talked to an old salesman for tym and he said they were nothing but problems. The mahindra although has a great warranty and they seem to be growing here in the states. The massey ferguson has a lot of nice options but i'll know better today. I should also note that we cut roughly 2.3-3 acres of grass all flat no hills, the 4wd is mostly for the winter for pushing snow, I don't want a garden tractor so that parts kinda out. Lets see what you guys have to say, personal experiences are a plus as well. thankx in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update, my wife and i just had about an hour worth of seat time in an older kubota, i think a b2200 (the stickers were messed up) anyways, it was very easy to work, we cut our lawn in the hour that we had it which usually take 2.5 hours on our L120 deere, the power steering was a blessing of course and the speed was nice since our grass don't get real fast and high. The folding rops bar is a must have for my place, i've got a few low hanging apple trees that would be easily cut under if the bar folded. I'm still going to look at the massey and cub cadet too.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
good deal, those 2200's are nice. i've bee trying to convince SWMBO to the many reasons why i need one too, id love something like an older kubota b3300 with a backhoe

so far the convincing, has not worked out so well though :ROF

good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
19 Posts
MY experience is mostly with my JD2305. I have operated other brands but in the 60 HP range, so no comparison there. I have had nothing but great success with the 2305. It is very strong for it's size, I can't find anything it wont do. We average 110" of snow a year here. Last winter we got that in just 3 storms. The 2305 blasts through the snow especially with a BB on the rear to push in reverse. Nothing breaks on it, and it's pretty easy to work on. You get used to the controls being close in a short amount of time. I get a lot of jobs that other guys cant do because their equipment is too large to get into small areas. All in all you cant beat the 2305.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Tough call. No first hand experience here -- but from the reading I've done on MTF, it seems like many of the folks who go the JD 2305 route over say the BX route, do so because they can preserve the option of adding an o.e.m. backhoe later.

There's probably some extra cost in the design/build of the 2305 to accommodate the backhoe, as compared to the BX line. Also, there's potential cost savings down the road in not needing to upgrade to a different tractor if you decide you need a BH.

But just FYI, JD will soon be releasing a new version of the 2305. You might want to peruse these threads a bit, one of which contains a "spy photo" of the new unit, called the 1023:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=149217

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=147888

P.S. I know you said you weren't interested in a GT. But just in case the backhoe is not a high priority, you might also want to compare those BX Kubotas to the JD X700 series GTs. You might be surprised what they can do. they have the option of using the same engine as the JD 2305, with the same Ltd Cat 1 3 Pt. Hitch, shaft-driven PTOs, hydraulics for loaders, etc:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=150068

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=132818

Some other photos from MTF Member Rubadub: http://www.1969supersport.com/01tractor.html

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I chose to get the John Deere 2305 mostly because of my local dealer reputation (they've been GREAT), the controls felt comfortable for me, and because of John Deere's reputation of having long-lasting, reliable tractors. I also like the option to add the backhoe later. I've used almost every kind of 3pt implement with mine and it has never complained. It's great for moving snow. I've only had mine for 13 months now, but it runs great and sips fuel. If I were looking to buy one now, my personal choice would be to wait and buy the new John Deere 22.3hp 1023E (or 25.5hp 1026R) mentioned above:
- Made in America
- Independent Mower lift standard (I paid extra for this option on mine)
- Auto connect mower (simply drive over the mower deck: it connects itself)
- Auto Hitch (you don't have to finagle the PTO shaft to connect it, although I think this option is no big deal: the PTO shaft is easy to connect)
- 25% increased loader lift Capacity
- Gas fill at fender (instead of hood)
- Folding ROPS
(Price may be a bit higher though.. we'll have to see)

My neighbors all have Kubota SCUTs. They swear by them. My closest neighbor has the BX2200 (I think) with 1200 hours on it (mostly for mowing and normal FEL use) and he says he's never had to fix a thing on it yet... runs great. I personally didn't like the "feel" of the BX2660 I test drove, but otherwise a very nice machine.

I sat on a New Holland (dealer wouldn't let me test drive it): it wasn't comfortable for me: I felt cramped, the steering wheel was uncomfortable, controls weren't comfortable. It was a nice looking machine, though, and the price was appealing.

I never looked at the Massey's, but they sure look sharp: and last I knew they were giving the FEL free.

Financing is another thing to consider: JD often has 48 months interest free and you can include implements in the financing. Kubota often offers 60 months interest free. I heard that Massey was offering 72 months financing. I was planning to pay cash for my JD2305, but I couldn't turn down using their money for free.

Good luck and enjoy the tractor-buying experience... I sure did!

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
From all of the threads on here that I have read on this subject. It seems to come down to the JD or Massey for most people. Many decide on the one that has the best dealer close to them or financing. Most seem to like both tractors equally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, my wife and i went and looked at the massey and cub today and the massey i didn't like the running gear in it, I have never heard of the engine its like a izeco or something. and the guys at the cub cadet places ****** me off with there poor attitude (excuse my language) the attitude is important in purchasing and warranty work if you ask me. Then we went and looked at a new holland 1025 my wife couldn't touch the floor board so that one was way out, we had the seat slid way forward and still couldn't touch. I did find out that there isn't really any sub compact that can except a hoe except the 1025 but you can't use the mower deck with the hoe. SOOOOO, we are leaning real hard back to the kubota, the 2305 is a nice setup but the price don't impress me, and the fact the dealer don't wanna work with me much, i'm going to call 1 other dealer tomorrow. I mentioned to the delivery guy today from kubota about the fact that a deere loader will pick the tractor up from an idle and he mentioned a kubota will also but they are strongly against is as it can do harm to the pump for lack of pressure. I'll type more later.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
stop shopping for a new one, and buy a used one with <50 hours on it, that's still on warranty.

Save a couple of grand....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i found a 2600 massey with 100 hours on it for 12500 with a loader and mower but massey says the warranty isn't transferable. i can't find any kubotas or deeres with low hours on them. I'm a bargain shopper so i'm looking haha

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
With the new JD1023E coming out, maybe some folks will be selling their slightly used 2305's for a decent price... I know I've kinda considered it, but I love my 2305 too much to "upgrade" it.

I looked at used tractors for a while but they weren't much cheaper than buyin new. Here's another great web site for finding used tractors/equipment:
http://www.tractorhouse.com/

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why not consider the BX25? It has the folding rops and the backhoe that your going to want someday. I have the BX2360 and it can do anything asked of it within reason. I've never seen a reason for that extra 2hp. I fought over this and the BX25 for several weeks then decided I'd rent one if needed. Buying the BX25 now instead of trying to buy an after market backhoe later will save a lot. I still run into small thing once in a while and think it would be nice if I would have that BX25 now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my wife and I talked and yesterday we ordered a new BX2660, i didn't go with the bx25 for the fact that i don't need the hoe now i just wanted the option for later. I have a mini excavator to do the job of the hoe now. I can say this much, kubota finance was super fast, i had a response back in 20 minutes and the new tractor should be here next week.

The massey i found was a year and half old so didn't have much warranty left, i threw an offer at the seller and he wasn't interested so i moved on. I think this 2660 is going to be just what we need so i'm pretty happy. I know its got a lot of key features that seems to be important to some buyers, The fuel tanks on the fender not the hood, which is much better for my wife since shes short. the front mount engine is a huge plus that i like for maintenance, it seems the mower deck is fairly simple to remove. The hydraulic hookups aren't under the floor board. OH and most important my wife can reach the pedal unlike the boomer 1025 where she couldn't even touch the floor. I'm pretty excited so we'll see what happens, I really like the insurance that you get with a Kubota also, it seems no matter what i'm doing the tractor is covered which is pretty awesome. The only thing it don't have that i really want is a folding rops, does anyone make an aftermarket one? I understand a bx25 rops will fit this, anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, took ownership of a new Kubota bx2660 today. I talked to the delivery guy about all the different things about kubota vs other brands, One thing i did find out, a guy said that he had to manually lock his deck into place from underneath to use only to 3PH. Mine you just turn the deck height dial to top and it stays up. I also like the ease of taking and putting on the loader. it was very easy and my wife was even able to do it. So far i'm happy with it, we'll see how it goes as time goes on. :bannana:

Attachments

·
9K+ Poster
12,161 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome, Judges.
A few of us chose the BX2660 and I, or one, am very happy with it so far. It's done everything reasonable I've asked of it. It even removes stumps if they're less than about inches in diameter. Smooth engine and great seat.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Congrats, Judges! Thanks for the obligatory picture: She's purrdy! I've found soooo many uses for my tractor and you will too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts