My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking at a Kubota L2250 with loader for the second time tomorrow. Will address some problems with the seller, and possibly negotiate a price. It "looks" typical of a machine of it's age. Scruffy, but no major rust. Forgot to ask if hour meter works, but it's now showing 3400. A few problems that will need to be addressed:
1. Charge light on. Voltage check verifies battery is not charging.
2. Dripping around newly changed settling bowl filter. He "puts a bucket under it."
3. Not sure what the gadget is to the right of the PTO, but seller said it never worked and he's not really sure what it does.
4. There is a narrow shaft that runs from the engine ot the fan blade. The coupling where it joins a pully near the engine is flopping all over. Looks like it was cobble on with some big washers. Nuts loose and missing. Shaft mounting all dinged up.
5. Evidence of fuel seepage on pump. Greasy dirt clinging to side. Not dripping.

So...
1. Assume it will need an alternator (generator?) or regulator at what cost?
2. Probably just installed poorly? No biggie.
3. No clue--any thoughts?
4. Is this common? Does it sound like a simple part replacement? Not sure what keeps the forward end of the shaft centered while the shaft flops around, but if it's a bearing or bushing it's probably shot too. Anything to fret about?
5. I've seen a few units with dry, clean pumps. Is some seepage in this are pretty normal?

Other than these issue, tractor has good rubber, decent seat, and comes with a beat up Brush Hog Side Winder. Asking price is $6800. Sounds on the high end even without the generator and fan shaft problem. I do my own jrepairs, but not familiar with the fan shaft assembly, and not sure how the charge system is set up. What am I getting into and what is a good price point?

Thanks for your time.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,437 Posts
I would lookup price for a service/technical manual as part of your planned purchased. Does Kubota have a parts site that helps you to look up parts/prices? I would do that after a second inspection, take pics of problem areas for your research. Be prepared to walk away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice, since (good) repair manuals are not cheap, and needed on older tractors. I'm check for parts as we speak (write?) Also good advice to be prepared to walk away. I'm tired of looking, but that can't factor into my decision LOL. Live long and prosper...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comp'ed six other 2250's average $7500 after adding and subtracting for hours and FELs. Offered him $6500 less $500 to fix the alternator and fan shaft (found assembly just uses a thin fiber disk to join the two shafts).j $6000 with the Brush Hog (which was in better working condition than it looked.) I had a max I was going to pay ($6200) or walk as you suggested! Thanks for your interest.

·
2,812 Posts
First of all

I think for that many hours and the little, but annoying things that need attention you are still a little on the high side I don't know where you are, but some of the pricing on these machines is effected by where you are in the country...with proper care in the past it is not unreasonable to expect 5,000 hours from the engine.... for the right price it could be worth it...but I think the "right price" is closer to $5,000 ..I would offfer that...and walk away if not accepted

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I comp'ed six other 2250's, adding and subtracting for hours. They averaged around $7200 with FEL and no attachments. I can get an alternator for <$100. The fan shaft problem turned out to be a broken fiber interface disk that joins the two shaft halves, so that's four screws and a $10 part. I put the machine through it's paces--ran and shifted smoothly. Good brakes, clutch. Good PTO. Hydraulics worked well, and fast. The ol' Bush Hog was in a lot better mechanical shape than it looked. He advertised for $7200, we settled on $6000. After looking for 4 months, it's the best deal I've seen around here (Chattanooga, TN) AND it's a Kubota. I'm glad I didn't jump on a Yanmar or Mahindra, and held out for Kubota. One dealer and one independent parts guy within 30 miles. Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mark. I will be doing a pretty thorough restoration this winter. Lots of time to play now that I'm retired! I will try to keep my progress posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts