My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am looking at a '99 B7300HST with a belly mower and turf tires 1500 hours, paint looks really good, price is $5900.. Though I might be able to work a straight up trade for my cub 2165 and exmark Lazer Z 52" (both late 90's, I figure I could get around $1000 for the cub and $4000-4500 for the exmark, that gets me in the ball park)

How many hours are the kubota diesels good for? I know like anything that varys alot, but in terms of a well maintained one that appears to only have been used for mowing...

How hard is it to add a hydraulic remote and how much $$ if I wanted to add a front blade or loader etc..

What mower decks did these come with? the craigslist ad says 54" but all the ones I saw on tractorhouse had 60" decks...

Am I crazy? I've been mowing my yard with the cub for the last 5 years, and it takes about 3-4 hours.. This winter I was given the Exmark by my grandmother, it was my grand father's years ago, he passed away, and she just sold her house.. I've been maintaing it since new, and would be kinda sad to see it go, I was planning to sell the cub and keep the exmark, but then I got the idea to sell/swap both for a CUT..
Thanks!
Jonathan

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
Hey I am looking at a '99 B7300HST with a belly mower and turf tires 1500 hours, paint looks really good, price is $5900.. Though I might be able to work a straight up trade for my cub 2165 and exmark Lazer Z 52" (both late 90's, I figure I could get around $1000 for the cub and $4000-4500 for the exmark, that gets me in the ball park)

How many hours are the kubota diesels good for? I know like anything that varys alot, but in terms of a well maintained one that appears to only have been used for mowing...
Well maintained Kubota diesels should get anywhere from 5k to 10k hrs before needing rebuild. Course anything manmade can & will fail at any given time but, figure atleast 5k hrs on a well maintained Kubota engine.

How hard is it to add a hydraulic remote and how much $$ if I wanted to add a front blade or loader etc.. depends on your knowledge and wrenching ability. Theres many sources for hydraulic parts which also includes dealers. Finding a good servicable OEM FEL and/or front blade could prove to be a long chore. Those that have them are very hessitant to part them from their working tractor as they are very desireable. I'd recommend to get a tractor w/one already included. That said you can go w/an aftermarket FEL such as a Woods or Koyker FEL. They are good stout universal FEL's that usually bolt right up w/the correct kit. Expect around $3k to $5k for a new one. You can keep a lookout on craigslist, ebay and check local tractor salvage yards for a used one but expect a used one to need repair of somekind. depending upon condition a used one can run anywhere from $250 - $3k. There have been many here and around the web that have either totally fab'ed up an FEL and/or adapted one from another make/model to fit their tractor. Again alot depends upon your abilities.
As for a blade, rear blades are everywhere and considerably cheaper than a front. I'm unaware of an aftermarket universal front blade provider but like the FEL, many have eitehr adapted or fabb'ed up one to fit their tractor.Others may know of an aftermrket and may contribute.

What mower decks did these come with? the craigslist ad says 54" but all the ones I saw on tractorhouse had 60" decks...
A 54" & 60" was offered for this model.
Am I crazy? I dunno :D
I've been mowing my yard with the cub for the last 5 years, and it takes about 3-4 hours.. This winter I was given the Exmark by my grandmother, it was my grand father's years ago, he passed away, and she just sold her house.. I've been maintaining it since new, and would be kinda sad to see it go, I was planning to sell the cub and keep the exmark, but then I got the idea to sell/swap both for a CUT..
The good thing about the Exmark is that you know it and to be frank no tractor will outmow a ZTR. ZTR's are kings of the mowers. That said, ZTR's won't do what a tractor can and thats the main differentiator, what do you need the machine(s) to do? That B7300 will do a decent enough job finish mowing, good enough for most folks and also do alot more. Being an HST makes it alittle better for finish mowing than a gear tractor. Check out this link http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/li...ains&Manu=KUBOTA&FullText=kubota+b7300&ETID=1 it'll give you a better idea of what similar tractors are going for. Good luck, Dave
Thanks!

Jonathan
Good luck and let us know
Dave

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought a 7300 with an Allied 95 loader. Tractor only has 271 hours, and looks like it didn't see any real work. I paid $6800 which is a little over what I'd like, but the condition of the tractor, the loader, and the back blade made it acceptable to me.

I think finding a used loader for the 7300 would be difficult, and probably far more expensive than waiting for a similar sized tractor with a loader to come up for sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volfandt: funny you should mention tractor house: http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6713043&
is the actual tractor I am talking about...

I am good with mechanical, I just don't know specifically how hard it is/accessible it is to plumb in a remote to a kubota without one..

Yeah I am good at welding, i was thinking adapting a truck plow on the front for moving snow, and running it off the tractor's remote (to be added)

I hadn't thought very far about used FEL's though I did see a B7100 with a oem FEL for 1500 the other day, needed an engine and clutch.. I was thinking something like that might come along where I could adapt the FEL and part out the tractor.. not specifically that one, but something along those lines..

Thanks
Jonathan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've been thinking about it, and I think I might just stick with the original plan of selling the Cub and keeping the Exmark... If it were a slightly larger kubota, I would totally go for it, but I fear that the B7300 is a bit small for doing the other chores.. I have to be in the area of that B7300, next week, so maybe I'll swing in and take it for a spin.. It's hard to gauge how fast it will mow being only 16-17 Hp...
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Yeah I've been thinking about it, and I think I might just stick with the original plan of selling the Cub and keeping the Exmark... If it were a slightly larger kubota, I would totally go for it, but I fear that the B7300 is a bit small for doing the other chores.. I have to be in the area of that B7300, next week, so maybe I'll swing in and take it for a spin.. It's hard to gauge how fast it will mow being only 16-17 Hp...
Jonathan
I mow with a B7100 (16 hp) and a 5' finish mower, and it pulls it fine. No way will it outmow a ZTR, though. But, my terrain wouldn't allow a ZTR- so, no issue. There is a seller on Ebay who custom manufacturers loaders for tractors- they sell for around $2000 plus shipping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My take is a little different than most. I looked for a lightly used (mowing only) tractor and added the FEL later. FEL's can abuse a tractor severly when not properly installed/used. Case in point, there is another member here who is completely rebuilding his b7100 because of abuse (FEL). In my case I fabbed a FEL,still cost about $900.00 but I know my tractor will last for many years. I also fabbed a front plow from an old small truck plow. It's 6' wide and has 4way power. Works great and cost about $200.00 most cost for the angling cylinder. You just need to have patience and you can find this stuff. Of course being able to weld and FAB are important if cost is a factor. As others have said you may just want to keep what you have if you don't have enough other chores that these tractors are so adaptable for. Good luck with whatever you do.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, here's the thing: We live 4 miles from my family's farm (grapes, wine, veggies) The farm has a fair number of tractors, mostly 70's fords (3000's,4000's) and a pile of cat 1 implements.. BUT no nice 4X4 smaller kubotas...Also the only things with FEL's are really big and are a bull in a china shop on the lawn scale..
When ever i need to tackle a project that requires a tractor, I have to find one that is not in use, and drive it up from the farm... Yeah it's not a big deal, but free time is almost non existant.. Our house is on 4.67 acres, 3 or so is swamp/brush the rest is house, garage, lawn, garden, outbuildings etc.
Our driveway is short, and I tend to plow it with the farm truck (again another special trip) My wife drives a subaru outback and I drive a chevy 4X4, so plowing the driveway is mostly to keep it from thawing and refreezing to ice, so plowing snow is a minor advantage... BUT my wife does tons of ornamental gardening, and we are always taking out trees/putting in trees etc. moving soil, mulch etc. I was thinking a smaller kubota with a FEL would be fun as long as I can mow the lawn faster than the cub and zig zag around everything.. The zero turn might be overkill (though I doubt there is such a thing when you get to our size lawn)

I keep going back and forth.. Mowing the lawn well and quickly is priority #1
BUT adding the option of FEL's rear bush hogs, box blades etc.. would be really nice... the question is would it be worth losing the speed of the Exmark?
Thanks for all the input..
Jonathan

·
Registered
39 Posts
How long does it take you to mow with the exmark? Do you think that the extra time you'd lose by mowing with the tractor instead would be offset by the convenience of having your own tractor on site?

One thing about the B7300 - no power steering - I moved a bunch of dirt for a culvert on saturday, and as long as the tractor was moving and I didn't try to make any slow/sharp turns I didn't even notice it, but if your yard has tight areas that you'd be trying to mow, the "armstrong" power steering might get tiresome.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that is a VERY good point! my cub doesn't have it, but it is just a regular old 2165 lawnmower..

I have never mowed MY lawn with the exmark.. I just got it from my grandmother the other week..
my grandfather bought it new in the late 90's to replace his satoh 370.. but that had a 4' finishmower behind it, was gear, and had a FEL..
That thing was SLOW, because he was on a hill, and you were constantly manuvering around obsticles.. and always in the same gear... When we went to the exmark he cut his time down from about 8 hours to 3...

When I went from a cub 126, 42" gear to my 2165 48" hydro, it cut my mowing time from 4-5 hours down to 3-4... I think the 54" hydro kubota would cut it down further, but not as drastically as the zero turn...

What model kubota did come with power steering (like B7500 or B7800?)
There is also a kubota B7500 on Clist near me with no mower or FEL, for like $4200.. I know I could sell my zero turn and get that, then wait till I find a deck before I sell the cub.. There are decks out there from time to time..
Too many choices :)
Jonathan

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
... I was planning to sell the cub and keep the exmark, but then I got the idea to sell/swap both for a CUT..
Thanks!
Jonathan
Based on the description of your property and how you plan to use the tractor, I think you are a better candidate for the smaller BX SCUT, rather than the B series or other CUT.

The current BX series is smaller in physical size than B you're looking at, but it offers stronger diesels and 4WD, with power steering. You have a choice of 48, 54, or 60" mowing decks. They make great mowers. They also have ample on board hydraulics, and Cat. 1 3PH.

Also, unless you have skills like tom48cat, I think you will be surprised how expensive it is to add the loader and hydraulics to a tractor that doesn't have them.

In your shoes, I would sell the two mowers and put the money toward a new BX1860 or BX2360, with FEL and mower deck. With the 0%/60 month financing that Kubota offers*, you would end up with payment of about $120-150/month -- for a brand new, very capable tractor with warranty.

A BX2360 (23 hp diesel, 17.7 hp @ pto) with 60" deck would probably cut your mowing time a fair bit compared to the Cub with 48" deck. Plus you'd have an easy on/off loader, sized nicely for the sort of gardening chores you do around your property.

*Currently Kubota is only offering 48 months on the BX -- but 60 months should be back again soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If $$$ allows the UT is probably dead on... I looked at a couple of BX's before finding the B. they are great looking little tractors, and the guy I know that has one loves it... I just couldn't find one anywhere near my "allowance" that the wife had given... :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah.... we don't finance anything smaller than a house... Hence my desire to trade VS buy new... I should probably point out that we plan on moving onto the farm in the next 5-8 years at which point a B series would still be handy.. I like the idea of the B over the BX because it will be able to move some of the rotary mowers/implements at the farm that I don't think a BX will have the grunt to do...

BTW the B7500 on Clist sold :( Was power steering an option on the B7300? tractordata doesn't have anything on it...
Thanks
Jonathan

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,864 Posts
yeah.... we don't finance anything smaller than a house... Hence my desire to trade VS buy new... I should probably point out that we plan on moving onto the farm in the next 5-8 years at which point a B series would still be handy.. I like the idea of the B over the BX because it will be able to move some of the rotary mowers/implements at the farm that I don't think a BX will have the grunt to do...

BTW the B7500 on Clist sold :( Was power steering an option on the B7300? tractordata doesn't have anything on it...
Thanks
Jonathan
I can certainly understand the preference not to finance. But some would say at 0%, you're just keeping your own money as long as possible (assuming one has it to begin with.)

I agree, a B is probably a better fit for a true farm. Still, I'd be inclined to get the right-sized machine for my current property, then when and if I made the move and needed more capability, I'd just upgrade. And as far as a BX having enough grunt, even the smallest BX1860 has more engine grunt than a B7300.

Whichever way you go, definitely try to find a package that includes a loader -- it will save you a lot in the long run if you can purchase it bundled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't want to get into any arguments here, but the 0% finance argument in tractor land has always baffled me.

To be clear, Kubota will be happy to give you a rebate that more than makes up what you can get "holding on to your money". On top of that there is also a somewhat hidden finance charge to set up the 0%. At least when I looked into it 0% was at best a gimmick compared to cash on the barrel.

Don't get me wrong, I have taken advantage of 0% deals on some appliances and home electronics (even though I had the cash) as they didn't have the rebates or "setup charges" - they were money in the bank. But the Kubota (and John Deere for that matter) finance deals are not the same. Please make sure you look at all the numbers.

Heck, a loan from your credit union and taking advantage of the CIR + avoiding the financing setup charge may be a better deal for you. It would have been for me.

-James (who did the math and proceeded to buy a used b7300 and is happy to hold on to the extra cash)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Darn. The finance thing distracted me. Sorry. A few things about the b7300 to consider as well.

I have not missed the power steering but the b7300 happens to be somewhat unique in that there is a guy that built out a PS kit for it. So if you really really miss the PS later you would have a way out (it is not cheap to do though). Search ebay for "kubota b7300" and the kit should pop right up. I can't say how well it works but there it is. Depending on the deal you can swing you could probably add the PS and still save over new.

As for the HP and the BX - always remember that in tractors the size of those rear tires and the transmission are just as important. I would not want to trade 5 HP for drastically smaller rears and a smaller transmission (although having the higher hp and gpm on top would be nice) :)

However I don't mow around my house with my tractor either. I use a riding lawnmower for that. My 7300 has a FEL, does tilling and will mow fields and ditches. If close quarters finish mowing is more the primary use and ground work secondary a BX would be then have the upper hand.

Finally as a final note the b7300 is not nearly as common as the BXs and some of Kubota's other offerings. Don't expect used parts to be around. The tractor seems bulletproof so that has not been a worry for me but I want to make sure to mention it.

-James

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I am correct in thinking none of the B7300's came with power steering? Because there is at least one on tractorhouse that is listed as having PS. of course you also see obviously 4X4 tractors on there listed as 2WD... so it could easily be a typo...

I was thinking that this being only a 54" mid mount deck, with hydro, would get in as close to things as my cub fairly easily... Is there something that makes this tractor not maneuverable? I mean it really isn't that big....
thanks
jonathan

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,256 Posts
I don't think P/S was an OEM option but there was an aftermarket kit that included a long ram/cylinder that replaced the left side drag link. Theres been many folks that have added this type of P/S to the older B models w/very good success.

There have been some others that have retrofitted a later model hydraulic steering gearbox to the older B's also.

Keys on telling if one has P/S is to look for that long hydraulic ram/cylinder on the left side and/or look for hydraulic lines connected to the steering gearbox.

These older B's aren't that bad on steering when your moving. They are quite easy, but like any vehicle w/manual steering, those wheels won't turn easily when sitting still.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking that this being only a 54" mid mount deck, with hydro, would get in as close to things as my cub fairly easily... Is there something that makes this tractor not maneuverable? I mean it really isn't that big....
Volfandt is right on with everything he said. Concerning the maneuverability, it really depends on your land and your perspective. What you are not going to get with a b7300 or any tractor of it's size is the kind of turning radius I get with my tiny lawn tractor. I have a lawn dotted with mature trees. My JD LX whips around them and around corners fairly easy.

I don't know your Cub so I can't compare. What I can say is that if you have experience with larger tractors there won't be any surprises here. However, it is more common for people to move from small to large and be surprised these things can't turn 90 degrees. :)

Now if you took your exmark around a bunch of trees and then tried the same thing with just about anything else, it will be even worse. Those zero turns only do lawns and corners, but they do them darn good. An experienced driver on a ZTR is something else.

-James

1 - 20 of 20 Posts