My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to build on a 1/2 acre lo absolutely level lot. I currently am running with a L130-48 inch deck and blow with a 42" blower. Loaded rear tires, chains. no weights.

I'm thinking with the new property that we are looking to build on (with no slopes at all) and at the age of 63 at keeping the L130 with 48" deck and 42" two stage snowblower or upgrading to and X390 of X590 set up similarly. I'd like to do the landscaping (new lawn from new home construction) myself, rather than having to pay someone else to do it.

Should I keep the L130 and keep as I have been or upgrade to the X390 /X590? I have myself convinced that I need the X590, with the attachments. But, the reasonable side of me says that for a half acre, the L130 will keep on keepin" on.

FYI, the 2005 L130 with the K46 has only 600 hour on it

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Well, buy what you want and it’s a lot easier to pay for than one you settled for. You will take better care of it also because you like it.

CCMoe

·
4,126 Posts
If you have the mean$ I would get something new.....a flat lot?...get a zero turn ..and keep the old one as a standby and keep the blower on the old one and avoid doing the switchover in fall and spring....I am good at spending other people's money like that 😁

·
Registered
203 Posts
By land scaping, do you mean mowing grass or moving dirt? Moving dirt, the X is the better choice, mowing grass, save your money.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you mean move dirt, seed and/or did, I would say rent the right size equipment to do the job quickly unless you want the job to take all summer. You probably want some kind of a loader to move dirt, unless you want the exercise of shoveling many yards of top soil. Have you done the math on how much top soil you need? A half acre is about 20,000 sf. Even 3", which seems like too little, is 5,000 cf, which is 187CY, which is at least 10 dump trucks worth. I had about that much delivered and placed. It took one very long day with a CAT D5. I had no problem paying to have that done. Doing that with an X300-500 series would take a few weeks to a few months probably, depending on if you have a loader/bucket for it or not.

If the top soil is in place and you are just seeding and fertilizing, I would say that is within the capability of both series. But, you could probably do it with the L130 that you have.

It generally doesn't make sense to buy something new and expensive to do something you will likely only need to do once. Either rent something, buy something used that you can resell when you are done, or hire someone to do it. Now, if you just want a big tractor to ride around on, go for it. If you really are going to be moving over 100 yards of material get at least a 1 series. See Tractor Time with Tim on YouTube. I think he started with a property about that size. But, this is WAY overkill for mowing (and even snow blowing) a 1/2 acre lot.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'll add that I upgraded from an LA140 to an X394 for a 1/3-acre lot. The LA140 did the job just fine, but I wanted to upgrade to power steering and four-wheel steering. Power steering is a wonderful thing! I didn't realize how much effort I was putting into steering the LA140 until I drove the X394 for a few minutes. So if you're able to upgrade just to make the job more fun and that much easier, I'd say do it. The X394 also moves forward a little bit faster than the LA140, which can save a small amount of time mowing. (That's important when you're racing against storm clouds!)

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
What available used machines are available in your area...........You might be able to find a nice package in your area and save alot of $$$.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You'll get better results faster, if you let the pros do it. For example, hydro seeding will likely work better than broadcasting seed and covering with straw. They'll probably do a better job of leveling it, and getting the surface rocks off. My 2 cents says let the pros do it, and spend your money on a quality tow behind spreader and sprayer. Once that lawn gets going, then you can take care of it.

·
Super Moderator
15,646 Posts
L130 will handle a flat Half acre Lot But You mention You want to do a Bit more Landscaping The X500 series would help out with that better than a X300 series Because it Opens you Up to Be able to use things such as a rear Blade/Box scrape and a tiller or a front Blade that can actually move Loose dirt Better do to That K72 Trans. Always Nice to have a Little extra traction On Command as well with Diff/lock if needed if You decide you want to get a Johnny Bucket Jr to help out with Your Future Landscape Projects or some thing Like this a Little Green Monster
while X300 series will handle Both a Jr & a Little Green The X500 series would be Better suited for Both attachments (y)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yeah ... pay a professional to grade your property and seed, or sod, the lawn. Honestly, spending the many thousands of dollars that an X5__ series will cost is not worth it for a 1/2 acre of land. I have an X540 with a box blade. It's OK, but a professional with the right equipment will be faster and produce a better landscaped property.

I had no choice but to get a garden tractor large enough to handle a 3 acre property, including snowblowing 300 feet of driveway, rototill 2500 SF of garden, mow approx 1 acre of lawn, haul firewood, etc., etc. Evaluate what you want vs what you need, and make your decision from there.

There is a caveat however, if you're wealthy enough, and always wanted a heavier-duty tractor, then go ahead and buy one. Life is too short not to do what you want to do.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, lot's of common sense posts here! Yes, I'm certain that the L130 if fully capable for what I will want to do.

However, I'm quite surprised that I wasn't talked into an X7XX series like we are prone to do here :)

·
Premium Member
7,667 Posts
However, I'm quite surprised that I wasn't talked into an X7XX series like we are prone to do here
You can always talk yourself into one of those. I don't think anyone here would stop you. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well okay. My first tractor was my Scotts L17.542 with dual bagger. I still use it to clean up small amounts of leaves on my 1/2 acre lot. My first change was to a used X360 (for runner to the X390) and was pleased with it until I got water in my gas from a station, then threw a blower belt in the middle of winter. I know I didn’t NEED an X738, but I absolutely love it. Deck is off in 30 sec., no weights to add to snowblow, larger tires makes the ride really smooth. I don’t use but a small part of the capabilities, but I love it so much, I look for opportunities to use it around the neighborhood, even mowed the soccer field at the local Christian school, 2 acres in just over an hour with the 54” deck. Then there’s the stability on side slopes. Sorry, I just love it. I found an X730 for my oldest son first which sold me on the X7xx’s and was luckier to find the X738 with less than 100 hrs, 54” deck, front quick hitch, front 54” blade, 54” snowblower, rear click-n-go with 125# electric spreader, and a 10P cart all for about the price of a new tractor. One happy camper (X738 owner). 😃 😜

You can’t believe the difference until you drive one. Did I need it? NO!!!!!, but am I glad I have it? Most definitely.

Sorry, got on a soap box. The X590 would be a great choice. The X390 would be a good choice. A 48” deck would be fine, a 54” really good (maybe depending on the obstacles you intend to put in your lawn), 60” only comes into play when you mow 2+ acres.

I know, decisions decisions. Try everything you can. Some features won’t even be noticeable right away, but some make you change your thinking about how you use the machine. Like the drive over deck with auto-connect. You don’t think twice about dropping the deck for an hour to till the garden or go into the woods to haul out firewood, or .... You get the idea.

Treat this as a once in a lifetime choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You have to differentiate, in your mind, the priority of "want and need". Lots of good advice above. But this is how I look at it. When I got married in 1983, I had a JD 2010 diesel, 42 HP farm tractor. Shortly after, we bought our first house on a quarter acre lot. I bought a JD 110-8 to mow. It did a good job. My wife asked, with a quarter acre lot, why did I "need" a farm tractor. So, I thought about it, and logic said I didn't need it. So I sold it. Our anniversary is this week end, 37 years later I still regret selling that tractor. Now I have a hunting property in WV that I could use that machine on. "I" would buy the X500 series tractor if I could afford it. If I couldn't afford it, I'd watch for deals on nice used ones. I have an X540 to mow my lawn and a Snapper Pro walk behind for the 6-7 lawns I mow on the side. Both of my good machines wound up in the shop 3 weeks ago, so I ran up to WV and brought my JD 265 home. It actually mows as good as the X540, except for the power steering and traction loc. There are a lot of machines that will do the job fine. Which one do you "want" to be sitting on while doing it. Yes, I'm very good at spending your money, Joe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts