My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still plays with tractors
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is totally new territory for me as I am usually a red or orange guy (Wheelhorse and Power King) but I am looking at a John Deere 430 that is for sale locally and I thought I would ask about them. The good, the bad and the ugly please. This tractor is at a dealer (not a JD dealer, was taken in on trade) and has been serviced and ready to go. Has ags, three cylinder Yanmar diesel which I'm sure you know. Seems to be in very nice shape. I didn't see any hour meter so I don't know how many hours are on it. Comes with a 5 foot deck that looks to be in very good shape (I didn't pay that much attention to it but I should have). The price they have on this unit is $3500. That seemed like a good price to me but I don't know squat about Deere so I thought I would come to the experts. I would have to get rid of several tractors to get this so I really need to know what to look for here. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I once had a Power King 1416. It was all right for a tractor. I now have a JD 445 it is much better and even pulls a 3-point hitch plow better than the Power King. You probably can still get parts for the JD. Don't know about the Power King, the biggest reason I traded it off.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Hey JAS
Make sure there is no leaks at the rear brakes as the large axle nuts have a habit of coming loose and there may be some wear on the axle / drum.
Check the shaft from the engine to the hydro unit. They are well hidden and prone to not getting greased enough. If you check this it will tell you how well it has been serviced.
Check the front axle. It has 2 bolts that set the fore aft movement and if there is excessive movement there it will also give indication of how it was used.. There may be a small amount of wear at the front joint on the hydraulic steering ram and that is pretty much normal but an excessive amount would show lack of maintenance.
The hour meter is on the left pillar support but you need to lift the hood slightly to see it.
Make sure there are no wiring mods as they do not need this. If everything is working as it should there is no need to bypass seat switches, fuel shutoff or time delays. Fire up the front PTO and lift you butt off the seat. It should stop the PTO at least.
Check the screen in front of the rad. It is easily removed for cleaning and should not be plugged. A bit hard to see if you cannot remove the grill but still possible.
These are only hints for how it was serviced / used. Only my opinion but is what I have seen on mine.
It will be hard to find another tractor that can do what these things will and with proper TLC will not disappoint.
Good luck with your purchase

·
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VERY good info! Thanks very much!

·
Barely Keepin' Up
255 Posts
They are the top of the line second generation Deeres. They are heavy for traction and bbfy for heavy loads. They are very powerful, have fantastic engines, and great differentials. Hydraulic options allow you to operate many different attachments, high/low gearing and diff lock are a big plus for ground engagement, snow plowing duties. With the optional rear PTO and 3 pt, the possibilities are endless on the different type of work that can be accomplished.

Now for the bad and it is a very short list.

Limited number of front attachments compared to the new/old 300/140 series tractors, you can retrofit but will need a welder or buy an adapter.

Sheer size, the 430 has a big snount that takes some room for storage and maneuvering.

Other than that I would jump at the chance for it.

·
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you think $3500 is fair for this unit with just the deck? It doesn't even have a three point but I know it is set up for one. I know it's not quite a fair question having not seen it but I can tell you it's in pretty nice shape. Looks like the front tires are worn a little but the rears seem fine. They are ags. I haven't run it nor have I seen the hour meter. Being a diesel, I can't imagine the hours having much bearing on anything. The whole body is in great shape. I didn't notice anything broken or chipped. I didn't start it or anything. I had a bad experience with a hydro tractor so I'm a little gun shy about what they can take but I have seen a little bit of what these 430s can do. They are impressive to say the least.

·
Barely Keepin' Up
255 Posts
I would say for around here that would probably be a pretty fair price. There are very few that if ever come up for sale so demand drives the price. If you really want one and you think the price is fair for your wallet I would get it.

The Pumps are Sauer Danfoss brand 15 series U type pumps. They are pretty bulletproof if maintained. They like to creep (basically no or very hard to find neutral) that can be fixed via adjustments or maybe a few parts from Mother Deere, maybe $75 max if you need a lot of parts. If you drive it around and don't have issues with grinding or irratic shuddering while moving I would say you are probably good to go.

You need to change all fluids and filters once you get it, 25 hr intervals for the engine oil/filters 200 hrs for pump fluid and filter. Always and only use Low Vis HyGard from Deere.

3500-4500 hours on a Yanmar before a set of rings are needed should be easily attainable, the pumps will last as long just need to maintain them, keep the fluids clean and keep the diff/engine/radiator clean of foreign debris, they don't like to run hot.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Price is no good deal in this market. A 455 is a little bit more
While I agree that $3,500 is getting close to 455 country Mike, for a few dollars more than a 455, he could just get a 655 or 755 and have a small CUT. For $3,500 it ought to be real nice.

On the other hand, I still see guys getting $3,000 and up for 332s, so who knows for sure.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
While I agree that $3,500 is getting close to 455 country Mike, for a few dollars more than a 455, he could just get a 655 or 755 and have a small CUT. For $3,500 it ought to be real nice.

On the other hand, I still see guys getting $3,000 and up for 332s, so who knows for sure.
Last fall I bought a 755 that ran great with a cancerous deck for $3000. Real 3 pt and 540 PTO

I traded it for a 430 with a front blade, rear box blade and a non-running 755 with new paint and tires

1 - 11 of 11 Posts