My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone,
so i am considering buying this old 424 for around the yard. my question is -
1-guy says it is a slow machine....even in 2 high. anyone here familar with these and if so how slow are we talking ?...mph wise

2- has what looks to be a 50" deck with an electric pto. pto appears to be slipping and not engaging. are parts still available on these? anyone here that sells used parts for them?

guess thats all for now. feedback is appreciated

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
a 424? I think Don has the models confused. If it's a 424 rider it's got a 10hp Kohler K241 and a 4 speed walk-behind transmission, good for maybe 3 - 4 MPH in high gear.
Gravely said 4 MPH but it would do more.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok, just going on what he told me thus far. i had a couple of l model walk behinds a few years back , so i'm somewhat familar with what your saying. he just put the deck on it because i'm interested. his exact words were

" Set up the deck on the Gravely today (see attached). Even picked up a new deck belt. PTO clutch seems to be slipping though and wouldn't engage blades. Not sure if I'll get it to mow. Ran out of time. "

so my bad for thinking electric. i looked up "gravely 424" on ebay in parts and got a bunch of electric pto listings..........so if the pto on this is not engageing deck......what could be the problem?

in reguards to the speed.....he said its pretty slow, and i remember the l model was really slow

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Probably a slipping belt, could be a maladjusted hi/low planetary. It can't be a slip clutch as there is not likely a slip clutch there. The early "quick hitch" type PTO connectors that bolt to the advance castings on 400 series riders didn't have one, and there's not one built into the deck.

Don -- sorry for the mixup. How do you get a 400 to do 6 mph?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the guy said he got it to mow, so things are looking up. have another question...what kinds of attachments are there for this? also do attachments from any other models fit this? an lastly, i have alot of firewood not too far out in woods in back of my house. thought i may be able to use this to schlep a trailer out there to get it back to yard. i know it will pull alot of weight, but its hilly and boney with stones. concerned about traction. i would think these are better than most tractors due to engine being over rear wheels. just wondering, is it just a little better....or is it night and day?

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
Probably a slipping belt, could be a maladjusted hi/low planetary. It can't be a slip clutch as there is not likely a slip clutch there. The early "quick hitch" type PTO connectors that bolt to the advance castings on 400 series riders didn't have one, and there's not one built into the deck.

Don -- sorry for the mixup. How do you get a 400 to do 6 mph?
Some dealers would remove the 6-Lead gears and replace them with 8-Lead units.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
The 400's are slower than an 800/8000 tractor, but I think they are as fast as any other old tractor that I've used. My Sears Suburbans aren't any faster. How fast do you need to go? The 400's I have are plenty fast enough for me, they are real work horses, and they can be had at bargain prices compared to the 800/8000 and newer tractors. The biggest disadvantage is the lack of hydraulic lifts, but how many old tractors even had hydraulic lifts available? Plus sometimes the manual lift is preferable. So I say go for it, Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts