21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
Reactions: MISparty

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The X540 is the best mower JD has built in the last 15 years. It is the 700 series mower without the hydraulic ports. It is not a 530 upgrade. It stands alone in the 500 series of great tractors JD has built. When you have a choice of a 530 or a 540 don't even pause, go for the 540. I have owned X530's and it is a great mower but it is not a 540. That's why JD quit offering the liquid-cooled engine on its later models. It cost them too much and they were losing money on it. They figured most people would not know the difference between a liquid-cooled engine and an air-cooled one. But we do.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
The X540 is the best mower JD has built in the last 15 years. It is the 700 series mower without the hydraulic ports. It is not a 530 upgrade. It stands alone in the 500 series of great tractors JD has built. When you have a choice of a 530 or a 540 don't even pause, go for the 540. I have owned X530's and it is a great mower but it is not a 540. That's why JD quit offering the liquid-cooled engine on its later models. It cost them too much and they were losing money on it. They figured most people would not know the difference between a liquid-cooled engine and an air-cooled one. But we do.
The X540 has some Birthing issues with the LC Kawasaki
It didn't have to do with cost It had to do with sales Numbers with the Introduction of the X530 The sales Number fell On the X540 quite considerable and for a few Hundred More You Could get a X700 or X710 model But the Last Nail was The Introduction of the X590 People were Opting for EFI air cooled over LC engine. Sales Numbers it what really governs Deere dropping models and attachments (y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In my albeit limited research, Ive had my eye on the 540 from the beginning. For all the points you mentioned and more. Key has been finding a gen2(2011 and up) with low hours and competitive price. Thats why I drove 100 mi to view this one when there are no less than 60 other x5xx series within 30 miles from me. Its my first tractor so I want something more reliable with some features rather than loaded with xxtras.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The X540 has some Birthing issues with the LC Kawasaki
It didn't have to do with cost It had to do with sales Numbers with the Introduction of the X530 The sales Number fell On the X540 quite considerable and for a few Hundred More You Could get a X700 or X710 model But the Last Nail was The Introduction of the X590 People were Opting for EFI air cooled over LC engine. Sales Numbers it what really governs Deere dropping models and attachments (y)
Makes absolute sense. Especially if price was that close to 7xx. I cant find a 5-7 year old 7xx anywhere without at least 1000 hours, people most likely still on them as they bought it for a 15-20 yr tractor? The 540 market, to me, would seem to be very hot for a first timer like myself.

you seem to be a top contributor here and well respected. Any advice for this particular machine?

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
Makes absolute sense. Especially if price was that close to 7xx. I cant find a 5-7 year old 7xx anywhere without at least 1000 hours, people most likely still on them as they bought it for a 15-20 yr tractor? The 540 market, to me, would seem to be very hot for a first timer like myself.

you seem to be a top contributor here and well respected. Any advice for this particular machine?
What is Your Budget ?

My dealer Outfit Has several X700 series Under a 1000 Hrs By road there about 7 to 8hrs from Cleveland 1 way

2009 X729 with 747hrs for $7,200 Gas All wheel Drive/All wheel steer Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 62inch deck

2010 X744 740hrs for $5,700 Diesel 2 wheel drive All Wheel steer Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 62inch deck

2014 X730 586hr for $6,150 Gas Two wheel drive, Normal steering Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 60inch deck

2018 X758 248hrs for $11,400 All wheel Drive, Diesel Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 60inch deck and a MC519 power flow (bagger that utilizes a Cart)

Now Roeder has Many Low hr X700 series Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power There all Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3 point hitch & they ship There In Dubuque Iowa I Bought My 2012 X748 from them with 110Hrs for $10,300 Before I had them Put On a Rear PTO, Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and a Loader Relief Valve which I already Had along with a New release Handle I already had out the Door It cost Me about another $1,900 or $12,200 That was In 2014 I Bought it site Unseen other then the Picturers On there website I am only 3hrs from them. Did the same for a 2012 X540 In 2016 Got it for $4,600 Less mowing deck It was $5,000 But I was Putting a 42inch deck on it I had already Bought. I was Buying the Tractor for a Friend Of Mine because his Simplicity Regent Just wasn't Up for the snow removal he did They ship using mayflower Movers Just to give You a example we Had a Member have a X700 series size Tractor shipped to The Massachusetts/New Hampshire Boarder for $1,000 Be a Lot less to Ohio (y)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
What is Your Budget ?

My dealer Outfit Has several X700 series Under a 1000 Hrs By road there about 7 to 8hrs from Cleveland 1 way

2009 X729 with 747hrs for $7,200 Gas All wheel Drive/All wheel steer Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 62inch deck

2010 X744 740hrs for $5,700 Diesel 2 wheel drive All Wheel steer Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 62inch deck

2014 X730 586hr for $6,150 Gas Two wheel drive, Normal steering Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 60inch deck

2018 X758 248hrs for $11,400 All wheel Drive, Diesel Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch comes with a 60inch deck and a MC519 power flow (bagger that utilizes a Cart)

Now Roeder has Many Low hr X700 series Riding Mowers » Roeder Outdoor Power There all Capable of a Rear PTO & Limited Cat 1 3 point hitch & they ship There In Dubuque Iowa I Bought My 2012 X748 from them with 110Hrs for $10,300 Before I had them Put On a Rear PTO, Limited Cat 1 3point Hitch and a Loader Relief Valve which I already Had along with a New release Handle I already had out the Door It cost Me about another $1,900 or $12,200 That was In 2014 I Bought it site Unseen other then the Picturers On there website I am only 3hrs from them. Did the same for a 2012 X540 In 2016 Got it for $4,600 Less mowing deck It was $5,000 But I was Putting a 42inch deck on it I had already Bought. I was Buying the Tractor for a Friend Of Mine because his Simplicity Regent Just wasn't Up for the snow removal he did They ship using mayflower Movers Just to give You a example we Had a Member have a X700 series size Tractor shipped to The Massachusetts/New Hampshire Boarder for $1,000 Be a Lot less to Ohio (y)
I think x7xx is overkill for my application. If i even considered those i would lean towards used kubota BR series or the JD scut. I attempting to makeover my backyard and tear up my current brick patio with something new. After these projects are done Id be all for a used 380/390.

I m specifically eying 540/580 as I want power lift/diff lock/min K66. Couldnt find that in anything except for x500 series besides husqvarna...and Ive read enough to pass. As long the deck lift is working on this 540 I looked at I think this is a great fit for me. Not new but new enough that hopefully I'll no real issues for years. It will see heavy use for the next 2 years and after that moderate just mowing and pulling use. Would love a FEL but ill have to settle for a JB. I think this is the most practical way to approach this project and I can budget for diff implements when i need them instead of dropping 10k right now. I plan to look for used sleeve hitch implements unless I can only source new.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
I think You Mean a Kubota BX series

The Most expensive New Implement sleeve Hitch is a 10inch Plow Other then That Most New Sleeve Hitch Implements are In the $200 range
Brinly rear Blade $219.99
Brinly Box scrape$229.00 Made 10 time Better then the Agri-Fab Box scrape
Agri-Fab Rock Rake $271.00 Only Agri-Fab sleeve Hitch Implement I recommend
I had a Agri-Fab Box scrape Lasted Part of a summer Bought the Brinly Box scrape still going strong after 18 years of Use

The X500 series will do for You But remember it will be a Little More time consuming Then say a X700 series.

Which BTW inMany ways Can out do a sub Compact for Example the 45 Loader( no Longer In Production There is a aftermarket CTC Loader that is close In capabilities) actually lifts a few Inches Higher then a 120R Loader On a 1 series if shimmed the X700 series Tractor can actually lift More then a sub Compact I had a 1025R Tractor Loader Backhoe In 2017 Traded it for a 2018 2025R Tractor Loader Backhoe I don't recommend either One for Mowing Big reason I kept My X748 older version of a X758

Yeah If staying with a 48inch deck or a 54inch You won't need to downgrade to a X300 series always good to Have the extra versatility of a Garden tractor The X390 has the same Turing radius Or a X540

Now Roeder does Have a X590 2018 John Deere X590 Riding Mower For Sale with Warranty Until May 7th 2022
Or they Had a Excellent condition low Hr 2008 X540 2008 John Deere X540 Riding Mower For Sale and BTW there usually willing to switch out the Turf Tires for HDAP! They did that for Me On the 2012 X540 I Bought. Thing to also Keep In Mind these Machine they Have are Usually serviced by them through there Lifes as The JD employees In Dubuque usually trade every two years Thats were a Majority of there used stock comes from (y)

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The Roeder 2008 X540 listing also gives you some idea of the kind of service they do on a machine to compare to what Agpro has done to the unit you are looking at. The service listed seems to be their standard so machines they sell will keep their name high on the list of repeat buyers and recommended dealers. Too bad you didn’t get a more experienced salesman, but hope the service people can explain to your satisfaction why the deck doesn’t lift. The deck had likely been removed and not reinstalled correctly/completely. Still not a good representation for them. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Roeder 2008 X540 listing also gives you some idea of the kind of service they do on a machine to compare to what Agpro has done to the unit you are looking at. The service listed seems to be their standard so machines they sell will keep their name high on the list of repeat buyers and recommended dealers. Too bad you didn’t get a more experienced salesman, but hope the service people can explain to your satisfaction why the deck doesn’t lift. The deck had likely been removed and not reinstalled correctly/completely. Still not a good representation for them. Hope all goes well.
Im telling you they are worst. Its funny when youre at a dealership and people are annoyed. I think its due to the $$ i want to spend. They want to sell 15k machines and up, as soon as i say im interested in the used sub 4k market any service goes out the window. I may just take another trip up there to finalize the deal and be able to speak to the service dept myself since nobody and i mean nobody across 4 dealerships of the same network is able to convey my concerns.

I try to buy a used car and i cant STOP people from calling me. At ag-pro i apparently called my salesperson too much that they told me to figure it out myself, I'm too busy for this. Had it on speaker and the wife and I just looked at each other. That was 2 seperate saleswomen from 2 different dealerships. When you tell me youre going to have a tractor shipped to your location for my viewing I expect to know when. I do not need it to be tomorrow but I need an idea of when instead of "sometime in the next coming weeks". Im embarrassed for them and If I put something out on social media I'm sure I'd get an army of others. All salespeople have been under 25 and thats ok, IF you know your ****. They have the market cornered here and they know it so they do what they want from day to day. One salesperson literally "dumped" me as a customer because I called another location and asked them for their best price out the door and said I may drive up to view the machine as nobody can facilitate the transport to a nearby location on a timely basis...When i called my original salesperson back she told me "They said you called up there and you were going to figure it out yourself so best of luck to you" and hung up. Deplorable. Im only 43 but i remember customer service in the 80s and still into the 90s. The amount of entitlement is sickening.

Since they are the only dealer nearby I hope the other depts are different. Ive had very enjoyable conversations with parts and service, all while explaining my inexperience. They were very helpful. I hope that continues as most likely I'll be having the service done there when i feel overwhelmed with the task.

The independent dealers I spoke with were awesome traditional old school. Very attentive and looking to fit you into what YOU need and also give you different financing options. They're just so far away...cons of living in an urban/suburban area while in the market for a tractor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well I'll know more about the deck tomorrow, I will update accordingly and may take another (90 min ughh) trip up there to talk to service. I posted another thread here regarding the piece needed for the front blade lift, if anyone here could chime in on that this would be awesome. Really dont feel like the $850 for a new blade from Deere just to push snow. Thread is here:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yes a puff of smoke is normal. I usually have my foot on the go pedal before I let go of the key, it has only stalled a hand full of times in a year and a half. Good deals do happen. I paid $2500 for mine with Cyclone leaf rake and 47” snow blower. 2009 with almost 900 hours. It just rolled over 1000 hours. I can show you the receipt for a new hood and grill, $478. Yours sounds like a good deal. If you only mow a normal, acre or so yard, were 65 like me, I’d expect it to be my last tractor. Actually, I’m down to 5 lawns and I expect this one to last till they put me away.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I remember back in like 2012 or so looking at a brand new x540 with the 48" deck. This was during the summer by the way. We literally had to start and run the thing at 3/4 to full throttle for about 5 mins before we could engage the blades without it killing the engine. They had less power than the air cooled engines and were slightly quietier. For $800.00 - $1,000.00 less, you could get the air cooled x530 and start it up and go mowing...now. The x540 had something like 5, 6 or 7 engine updates from 2006 till it was discountinued from jd trying to address various problems. The X540 sales continued to plummet over the years and finally jd dropped it and introduced the efi x590. There was still brand new x540's on dealer lots almost 2 years after it had been discountinued. The new x590 efi engine in terms of power for sure is night and day over the x540's no question.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Well I'll know more about the deck tomorrow, I will update accordingly and may take another (90 min ughh) trip up there to talk to service. I posted another thread here regarding the piece needed for the front blade lift, if anyone here could chime in on that this would be awesome. Really dont feel like the $850 for a new blade from Deere just to push snow. Thread is here:
So where are you coming from? 90 miles up there could be a lot of places I’ve seen a nice private sale X730, 227 hrs, 60” deck, 47” snowblower with drive shaft, quick hitch, 54” front quick hitch blade, and chains for $9850. I know it may be above your budget, but I don’t think you were getting all the same attachments. This one is NE of Findlay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes a puff of smoke is normal. I usually have my foot on the go pedal before I let go of the key, it has only stalled a hand full of times in a year and a half. Good deals do happen. I paid $2500 for mine with Cyclone leaf rake and 47” snow blower. 2009 with almost 900 hours. It just rolled over 1000 hours. I can show you the receipt for a new hood and grill, $478. Yours sounds like a good deal. If you only mow a normal, acre or so yard, were 65 like me, I’d expect it to be my last tractor. Actually, I’m down to 5 lawns and I expect this one to last till they put me away.
What a deal you got! Im ordering my cyclone rake or DR leaf this week actually. Kills me to spend another $1500 but the leaves are actually what sparked this purpose. Realized i needed a riding mower, then after researching realized i needed a garden tractor to get the work i have planned done. Funny how this went from 2k-8k in one week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I remember back in like 2012 or so looking at a brand new x540 with the 48" deck. This was during the summer by the way. We literally had to start and run the thing at 3/4 to full throttle for about 5 mins before we could engage the blades without it killing the engine. They had less power than the air cooled engines and were slightly quietier. For $800.00 - $1,000.00 less, you could get the air cooled x530 and start it up and go mowing...now. The x540 had something like 5, 6 or 7 engine updates from 2006 till it was discountinued from jd trying to address various problems. The X540 sales continued to plummet over the years and finally jd dropped it and introduced the efi x590. There was still brand new x540's on dealer lots almost 2 years after it had been discountinued. The new x590 efi engine in terms of power for sure is night and day over the x540's no question.
Wow. You're the first I've seen to knock the 540, it seems to get exceptional praise. I couldn't disagree with you as I've no experience but I love to hear from both sides. I've looked into 570s as well but they don't have power lift. Anything newer (2016>) would be air cooled in 5 series. Most people adore the LC kawasaki. I don't mean to be rude, but on what basis do you make these claims? Personal experience? Im intrigued and I love to debate. Hoping others chime in.

·
Super Moderator
16,325 Posts
Wow. You're the first I've seen to knock the 540, it seems to get exceptional praise. I couldn't disagree with you as I've no experience but I love to hear from both sides. I've looked into 570s as well but they don't have power lift. Anything newer (2016>) would be air cooled in 5 series. Most people adore the LC kawasaki. I don't mean to be rude, but on what basis do you make these claims? Personal experience? Im intrigued and I love to debate. Hoping others chime in.
Up Until about 2008/2009 the LC was Very Popular The Previous 345, GX345 sold extremely well! Reason Deere Introduced the X540 The GX345 outsold the GX325, GX335 & GX355(dead Last in sales) The GX335 was almost as close as the GX345 But If I remember right the GX345 outsold it By 195 units worldwide ( I have Many friends at Deere was writing a Book On Garden tractors at one Time temporally shelved for now as day Job just Takes up to much time to write & do researcher Interviews) But the X530 & X534 Cut Into the sales Of the X540 enough that the Bean counters decided to drop the X540 Because Big request was EFI over LC so the Introduction of the X590 There were Many issues with the engines the first model year of the X540 had to do with Radiator designs (y)

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I have a hard budget of 6-7k but that includes some accessories I need. Covid took a 50% cut to our combined salaries and we both just reinstated recently. Needless to say the savings has dwindled. Used 5x series is really my only option when looking at green. I was all for the husqvarna tractors legitimately about to order one, thank god i spent a couple days researching those particular models. I knew thee was a caveat somewhere for $3700. It just didnt line up.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Jumping in here to see how this unfolds.

Your knowledge and appreciation of well built machines will grow once you get it home and start using it.

CCMoe

21 - 40 of 71 Posts