My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i found a 646b Loader backhoe for sale in NJ. I talked to the guy on the phone and he told me the engine was siezed so he started installing a new one but lost interest. Asking 2500$ so i went to look at it.
What a mess this thing was. It had been worked hard! Welds all over the machine. Steel lines were replaced with 1/4" brake lines. Front bucket mangled. bucket cylinder was bending the cross brace with the rod. Missing a bucket pin. Engine was a kohler that look to be fairly new mounted on a monster thick aluminum plate. new hydraulic pump. sheet metal was so spread out i couldnt tell if it was complete.
Backhoe didnt look bad. Somehow they ripped the shank and tooth off the bucket. Control levers were a little bent. Definitely the best part of the whole machine.
He didnt want to budge on the price so i passed. If anyone is interested i think he is going to post it on craiglist soon

Frank

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
SO i found a 646b Loader backhoe for sale in NJ. I talked to the guy on the phone and he told me the engine was siezed so he started installing a new one but lost interest. Asking 2500$ so i went to look at it.
What a mess this thing was. It had been worked hard! Welds all over the machine. Steel lines were replaced with 1/4" brake lines. Front bucket mangled. bucket cylinder was bending the cross brace with the rod. Missing a bucket pin. Engine was a kohler that look to be fairly new mounted on a monster thick aluminum plate. new hydraulic pump. sheet metal was so spread out i couldnt tell if it was complete.
Backhoe didnt look bad. Somehow they ripped the shank and tooth off the bucket. Control levers were a little bent. Definitely the best part of the whole machine.
He didnt want to budge on the price so i passed. If anyone is interested i think he is going to post it on craiglist soon

Frank
I just hate when that happens - you just try to get that little bucket to curl on that 26 ton boulder and I'll be damned it the control handles don't start to bend on ya - ya know they just don't make things like they use to. :Disgus:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
That's the one that Joe should be parting out instead of the one he has.

Considering your description, I don't blame you for walking on that deal. By the sound of things, this is one that needs to be stripped to the bare frame so you can put it back together properly. That's the only way to get all the problems corrected and end up with a reliable, usable machine. It always amazes me when guys who don't know that they are doing, hack up a machine and then expect to be rewarded for their lack of mechanical expertise.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he would have let it go for 1500$ i would have bought it. I still might be able to get it for that if he cant sell it on craigslist. It would be easy to put 3 grand into this machine.

ITs sad that it was worked as hard as it was. Both loader uprights had 1/2" plates welded on the bottom so i guess they almost ripped the loader right off the machine. All that weight from the backhoe and messing with the relief valve i could see over doing it with the loader.

I also spoke with the owner of a 97/98 6018 Loader backhoe. He said it would be on ebay soon but it was out of my budget at 6500$ He said he repinned the backhoe and replaced the loader bucket cylinder. 8 and 12 inch buckets. didnt know the hours and the banana plate was worn so it pops into neutral when going forward. I made an offer and he said he would let me know if ebay didnt work out.

Amazingly i have seen 4 loader backhoe machines within 45 minutes of me that i know of. 2 (early70s 646 and a later 648) were not for sale but looked to be in great shape. the destroyed 646(20 minutes away) and the 6018 (30 minutes away but didnt see it)

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
What I see coming is a CRUNCH. On one hand, we have the older 600 series that were truly great machines in their day and can still perform well tomorrow if they are brought back up to snuff.

On the other hand, we have the early 6000 and 7000 models, all of which came with power steering as standard and are built stronger and better than the 600's. The prices for those Generation 2 machines reflect their age and usage. The problem with the GEN 1 owners is that they haven't come to grips with the fact that the GEN 2 machines are more desirable to someone looking for a "worker" instead of a collector/trailer queen.

The one that Joe paid 5 G's for and was under discussion on his forum is a prime example. Realistically, that 648 was not worth $5000.00 with a bad motor in it when you contrast it against the GEN 2 machines that are increasingly becoming available. What really makes the GEN 1 machines a second choice is a used 7000 series thanks to the 4 wheel drive.

But what is really going to throw a royal screw into the whole mix is the fact that, in spite of promises made, Eastman has not seen fit to re-introduce anything remotely similar.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are 6018's worth? I dont see enough of them for sale to get an idea. Based on the little bit given in my last post assuming its a great runner and mechanically sound what would you pay? thanks
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts