My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at this 1556. They want $400. The ad says the engine was rebuilt 3 years ago. Has a new seat. I passed on it cus the deck needs a lot of work. The blades don't turn freely, lots of rust. I didn't drive the tractor around but, just inching it forward and backward a little, there was a little unevenness or slight pulsation in the pull. Is that something to worry about? I might go back for a 2nd look.

Attachments

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
If it runs and drives well it is a fair price. The weights on the back are $100, plow is $50-100. I have four of them and they are really good strong machines. The pulsation is probably the hydro which is normal when pushing it. Drive it up against a tree and push down easy on the hydro pedal it should spin the tires (on dirt) and not shudder or make a lot of noise. That is a good test for the hydro unit. Good luck on it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.
Pushing the pedal just enough to have some forward force but not enough to keep moving, there was some pulsation.
It's a small residential city lot. Everything not paved is lawn and there might not be anything solid enough to push against. Maybe I could try pushing my truck with it.
John

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
John, what you want to do is run the tractor and run it up against something, you could run it up gently against your truck tire and then just lightly push the treadle pedal until the rear wheels start to spin and grip the ground. It's like a transmission where when you push light on the pedal you get more torque like as if you are in 1st gear. The more you push the pedal the faster you go but less torque. You could also try pushing the truck with it. On flat ground I bet you would be able to move your truck. That little tractor is amazing. I just mowed my lawn with one of mine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1556 is still there.
Now there's a 1668 with hydro, a 48' deck and a new 18hp briggs engine. $800 OBO. I'm gonna call and try to see it tomorrow. I'm 6'2", maybe it will fit me better.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
The 1556 is still there.
Now there's a 1668 with hydro, a 48' deck and a new 18hp briggs engine. $800 OBO. I'm gonna call and try to see it tomorrow. I'm 6'2", maybe it will fit me better.
I honestly like the 1556 more, but it is your choice. I never got into the late model elinimators just because the attachments spin backwards with the HT and Husky models.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called about the 1668. I don't want to go where he lives because of a bad experience with their homeowners association.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts