My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what to do about the 2 M's. They are twins, both 5 hp. with BBC and I'm told both run and work 100%. Both have the later lawnboy wheels, the same used on the gold series. I really don't need or really want to work on them, so I have no idea what the offer them money wise for them.

The bonus though, it's a father and son that own the shop they are in, and the dad's dad was the LB dealer here in my town. I actually bought 3 LB's from him when I was a teenager. He has a ton of lawn boy stuff. Not many parts after all the years, but lots of advertizing items. They brought me out a brand new in the box lexan green sign, one that goes into a light box. Then a NEON lawn boy sign! Unfortunatly the neon tube was broken in a couple places.

I keep telling them "hey I'll just get all this junk out of your way" and he was replying with "ho much do you think they are worth?"

What's your estimated value? without actually seeing everything...

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
Of course, I'm a professional picker, now that I've watched a few episodes of American Picker...

I'd just start with a figure you're comfortable with. You don't seem to be looking to buy to re-sell, so just be honest with him. "I'd really like to have this sign in my garage, and here's what I have to spend on it, what do you think?"

Do you think he was honestly ignorant of the items' worth, or was he goading you on to throw out a number?

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the stuff and the mowers were just "some junk" to them, until my buddy went into detail about how badly I'd probably want the stuff and how I collect lawn boy's and how much they sell for... I think their 2 mowers and whatever else suddenly went up in value.

I'm going to have to start reselling some of my stuff. there's only just so much I can ever use and there's other people looking for the same items. I just know that M series mowers are not really easily shipable, and even cleaned up they wouldn't bring squat locally on CL.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
LawnBoyKS. I have an M-Series that I am getting ready to sell here soon.

The good: Has bag, mulcher, oil injection works, no leaking gas tank, one new very very very expensive steel wheel, the other back wheel is in great shape, both fronts are in great shape too. 3-speed tranny, all gears work great, looks to be very lightly used mower. AL deck, and starts right up and runs awesome. Mower runs and cuts great!

The not so good: BBC cable is broken so the blade spins all the time when running. Left handle sags, its to be a broken tooth on the handle itself. Another board member here, offered up a handle for free, with all the cables in it, really nice guy!

I am getting rid of this because I actually have 3 other mowers that work now and want to get rid of a few. PM me if you are interested. I will probably put it up for sale this spring. I am in the KC area. As I like the M, I have had nothing but staggered wheel LB's my whole life, and am partial to them. Not sure what a fair price would be, but if you are interested we can surly figure something out. If not then no biggie!:thanku: Oh and I can get you pics this evening or afternoon if you like. The more the better i supose:thThumbsU

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ended up back at the guys shop tonight. Brought home the whole lot for $200. 2- 10591 M's, 5 bags, 2 mulch plugs, 1 spare blade and mulch fan, the NEON sign and the lexan sign plate. He said he may have more parts or LB stuff around, and his dad that was the dealer here has stuff too...

Both the mowers need some work, not a lot... 1 needs a new BBC cable, but the new cable came with it. The other needs new rear wheels, which I already have. Other than a layer of dirt on them they are in just as good or cleaner condition than my 10590, because it spent a lot of time out in the sun riding on my lawn trailer. He said they both run fine, but haven't been used in 4+ years.

So, one mower at a time... I already have a 8125 torn down on the bench now, need to work on that one first! The deck on it has to be stripped and repainted though, and new upper and lower oil seals, the lower is the one I dread with the belt pulley that may or may not want to come off. I'm officially OUT OF ROOM, about 4 mowers ago... Total of 13 now.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,767 Posts
I dont know if I would buy every LB in site just because they are there. If I dont want to work on them maybe someone else would love to own it. I think that would be especially true with tempermental hard to get parts for and expensive parts machines like the M. You can always part them out but maybe there is someone out there who NEEDS one?

Just IMHO

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not buying every one, and these were one of those deals that if I hadn't rescued them they would have probably sat there forever or been hauled to the dump. They had already been shoved outside this summer because he wanted room in his shed... My intent is to get both cleaned up and working, which as I said won't take much, and then sell one or both. I also plan to sell a few of the others I've found.

I'm pretty sure there's no one around here that would have wanted them. Can't tell you how many I've seen at our dump in the scrap pile over the years. Another lawn guy had 4 of them for sale on CL about 6 months ago. I'm not to worried about taking one from someone that "needs" one. Heck I posted this and was offered one to buy in KC.

The neon sign is really cool, unfortunately the neon tube is broken in a few places. I plugged it in anyway and one section that was isolated from the breaks lit up! I have no clue what it costs to repair neon tubes, but I'm going to bet it's not cheap!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm not buying every one, and these were one of those deals that if I hadn't rescued them they would have probably sat there forever or been hauled to the dump. They had already been shoved outside this summer because he wanted room in his shed... My intent is to get both cleaned up and working, which as I said won't take much, and then sell one or both. I also plan to sell a few of the others I've found.

I'm pretty sure there's no one around here that would have wanted them. Can't tell you how many I've seen at our dump in the scrap pile over the years. Another lawn guy had 4 of them for sale on CL about 6 months ago. I'm not to worried about taking one from someone that "needs" one. Heck I posted this and was offered one to buy in KC.

The neon sign is really cool, unfortunately the neon tube is broken in a few places. I plugged it in anyway and one section that was isolated from the breaks lit up! I have no clue what it costs to repair neon tubes, but I'm going to bet it's not cheap!

I'm with LBKS. Almost all the LB \'s around here are one step from the dump or the metal scrapper. The cast decks have a lot of aluminum in them. For the scrapper that's quick $$$. Our CL here has at least a dozen ads from scrappers looking for "junk" mowers. What is the price for aluminum per pound right now? I'll bet it's up like all metals.

I believe in saving the old LB's. There aren't that many people here in Texas that are willing to fiddle with a mower and don't know the value in the machinery.

I will rescue as many as my wife is willing to let me have! Then, I'll try to keep my habit going by helping others see the value in these great mowers. It's not hard to convince neighbors and friends how good they are when they see you out mowing with a thirty year old mower that's bright green and sounds like a drunken boat motor.

My neighbors come over very wary wanting to know what that contraption is cutting my lawn! The usual response from them is: "It cuts really well." or "Where do they sell those? I've never seen them in the store." Another question I had from the lady down the street was, "Is it legal to cut your yard with that? I don't know if that is legal under the deed restrictions or municipal code. It scares my dogs!"

I though about taking the muffler off...

JMTCW

·
my 1st LB was a 3060!
435 Posts
sorry, off topic alert

gcmartin1, funny you mention that, I had the same thought here last week and the next thought was I wonder if they make a stinger pipe for an LB!

·
2 stroke addict
1,101 Posts
Re: sorry, off topic alert

gcmartin1, funny you mention that, I had the same thought here last week and the next thought was I wonder if they make a stinger pipe for an LB!
my friend once put a dirt bike expansion chamber on his Toro/Suzuki. you could probably do that on a DuraForce.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, and Al, I have a 10590 already but it has some sort of goveneor issue I can't pin-point.

The 2 I picked up haven't been used in 4+ years and definately need some attention. I didn't notice before until just a bit ago when I was blowing them off to move to the shed that the self propel cables on both are very stiff. Lack of use and from sitting out this summer I'm sure. The one I already owned I bought new in '95 or '94 and never had any real problems with it until now. I certianly don't want to turn these 'new' ones into money pits. If I can get them running and mowing acceptably I may keep one and sell the other. May not keep either, just depends on my mood, lol. I think 95% of what needs done is cleaning and lubrication. If nothing else The BBC on one may end up for sale as I know that's a NLA part.

If anyone needs an M series bag I seem to have extras now! 2 are worn in the corners, the other 3 are just a little sun faded. Thankfully both have newish blades, I know the BBC 21" blades are hard to find as well.

I took pics of the 2 signs, but got the mowers stashed away before I thought about it. They are ugly right now anyway. Winter projects!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts