My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Too bad. :banghead3 That hood is for an "INGRASOLL"... I don't know how you'll make some foreign brand of tractor hood fit.

:sidelaugh

I'll bet that Seller wasn't too happy to see his cherry hood go for a buck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He live about 20 minutes from me so Id say I scored that thing. He also has a few other odds and ends for sale and Im hoping to get a few other things to help me complete my 86 224.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:thThumbsU:thThumbsU good luck with the rebuild. slkpk

·
Registered
146 Posts
My items that I bid on always seems to be wanted by the entire country. You did real well. Good luck on the rebuild. Your off to a low cost rebuild so far. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already have an 86 220 that runs and drives fine. its my daily driver lol. I bought an 87 224 parts tractor that needs an engine, hood, wheels and hydraulic setup. My plans were or are to strip the frame down on it and build it back up and then transfer all the missing parts from the 220 over to that one but I dont know if I can bring myself to stripping down the 220. It was bought new by my dad in 86 and its been in the family ever since.

If I can find a good running engine then I will just build up the 224 and have two toys. My wife will love that.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If I can find a good running engine then I will just build up the 224 and have two toys. My wife will love that.
That's the spirit. Don't worry about the wife. If she asks why you need two tractors, your reply is simple. "Honey........... why do you need 20 pair of shoes? After all, you can only walk in one pair at a time." At that point, you immediately enact your pre-planned escape route. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
583 Posts
When you get into using these machines and swap attachments etc, you will find yourself thinking that having another one would be better and the attachment swapping will not be necessary. And then it grows from there. And then it becomes an obsession but not a bad one!!!!! There are much worse!!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
When you get into using these machines and swap attachments etc, you will find yourself thinking that having another one would be better and the attachment swapping will not be necessary. And then it grows from there. And then it becomes an obsession but not a bad one!!!!! There are much worse!!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU
Such as wearing kilts...... just to name one. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the spirit. Don't worry about the wife. If she asks why you need two tractors, your reply is simple. "Honey........... why do you need 20 pair of shoes? After all, you can only walk in one pair at a time." At that point, you immediately enact your pre-planned escape route. :thThumbsU
I gave her that reply when she asked why I need so many firearms. I go tno response after I was done talking so I got my point across.

The town I live in is looking to get rid of a "tall tire" tractor. I have no idea on the specs at the moment but a friend who works for the town will be getting more info on it tomorrow. Hopefully I can score it cheap since it just sits in the town garage. Im gonna need ANOTHER shed now. I just built a 12x20 and its already too small.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Such as wearing kilts...... just to name one. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Hey castoff,
Today I was watching the Discovery Chanel and the custom motorcycle guys were in Scotland, bought kilts and wore them whilst riding their motor scooters, SO THERE, now us crazy Scotsmen now have some reinforcements!!! So bag that up in your pipes Eh!!!!!!
We Angus from the Highlands of the Motherland!!!:trink39::trink40::fing32::lalala:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a few pictures of the project I have ahead of me. The hood and wheels were picked up last night for $16.00. The rest of the tractor was bought for $75 a few months ago. its a 25th anniversery

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
A word of caution. You have a lot of parts to buy to put that tractor back into working condition. I would be looking for an appropriate donor tractor because if you intend to buy each part by itself, you must make sure that it matches the part number shown in the manual for your tractor.

This could be a long uphill grind for you because it appears that about all you for your $75.00 was the trans-axle, frame, footrests, fenders and seat pedestal. I wouldn't say that you overpaid but man oh man, that's a tough way to make a tractor.

Yes, it is an anniversary model but as of this date, I don't know of a single collector that is seeking those. Eventually, that could change but it's hard to say how many years will pass before that happens.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
WOW, what a great start at a small investment. The odds & ends can be obtained here & there. Joe's Outdoor Power is parting out a 222 right now and should have many parts you will need.

:trink39:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont really know which direction I want to go in with this tractor. I already have a complete and running 86 220. I use that for all my yard needs. I picked up the 224 because I wanted to restore my 220 but didnt want the down time with it by removing everything from that frame to paint it. My 220 has the mower deck, snowcaster and utility blade.

Then my son wanted a pulling tractor for the local fair so I started asking questions and most guys say dont even bother using the hydrostatic drive because it will heat up and fail when you try pulling a sled with it. Sooo, I figured I would just use the tractor for winter snow removal and dirty work around the yard. That option would take a lot of abuse off my 220.
I just dont know what I want to do right now. The guy I bought the hood and wheels off of is trying to sell the entire tractor now for $400 and I told him hes not gonna get it so maybe he will sell it cheap cheap to me. It has a 12hp engine in it and all hydraulics. I just dont know what to offer him for it. He sold me the wheels and hood for $16 so how much could he possibly ask for the engine

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
WOW, what a great start at a small investment. The odds & ends can be obtained here & there. Joe's Outdoor Power is parting out a 222 right now and should have many parts you will need.

:trink39:
Can you tell me where those listings are on e-bay for Joe's 222 auctions? I did a search under Case lawn mower, checked all 25 pages and was unable to find them. What am I missing?

Perhaps a couple e-bay links will assist me in locating them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts