My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to pick up some wheel weights for my Cub Cadet Sunday in S.C. When i got there the seller was a woman and her place had more junk than i had ever seen in one place.Had to walk across a small field to get to the junk tractor to remove the weights.Along the way spotted this old Yazoo sitting in the briars. Asked her about it and said i could have it for 30 bucks.Since i am a self proclaimed Yazoo expert and can work on this mower in my sleep i brought it home.

The mower is a 24in. cut 5hp. self propelled model.The deck and frame is perfect and very solid only surface rust.Every moving part is frozen up including all the sp drive and linkages but that is what makes this so much fun.The engine is complete and should be an easy fix.Other than a missing deflector chute and incorrect front wheels mower is in perfect cond. and is a very hard to find model.Will keep everyone updated on my progress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wheelhorseman, Great Find!!...Keep us posted on the progress.I'm sure that one will restore up nicely...great shape!
Steve in Pa

·
Registered
216 Posts
"self proclaimed Yazoo expert " haha, nice!!

I remember having a yazoo catalog, red model with yellow mag wheels.
Didnt realize there were spoked wheels also. Nice score!

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"self proclaimed Yazoo expert " haha, nice!!

I remember having a yazoo catalog, red model with yellow mag wheels.
Didnt realize there were spoked wheels also. Nice score!
Plastic spoked wheels were used on the later model high wheel mowers. . Wire spokes are found on the older ones.Got the motor off today and been freeing up the rusted controls. So far so good.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Cool machine. Nice find.

·
Banned
864 Posts
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp:

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Engine could seized from just sitting. Maybe pour some MMO in the cylinder and try and move the piston slowly
I think crap got in thru rusted out muffler.This thing hasnt run in a loooong time.Got most of the controls freed up but i still have a long way to go.My other Yazoo was in this same shape but now its like new.These mowers are so simple there isnt much to tear up.They only have what they NEED to work.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
My friend uses a couple of those things to mow the trails on his hunting property. One's a Yazoo that's pretty close to that one and the other is an old Bachtold.

They are awesome trail mowers.

·
Decesaed (R.I.P.)
1,957 Posts
nice!!!! i always wondered why the yazoo mowers have the engine on a slant????
Just a cool thing, like how kids these days wear their caps sideways :trink40:

Seriously though it looks like to keep engine in the centerline and at the same time align the pulleys. Instead of shifting all the weight of the engine over to one side to align them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts