My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at least new to me. I got this from my wife's grandma. My wife's uncle was driving it and we think he had a seizure. Well he messed the JD up pretty good but at least he wasn't hurt. Well here are the pics.

I noticed a few pieces of straw hanging out and I knew I better go ahead and take the blower cover off just to make sure and boy I'm glad I did. Can we say fire or overheating.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Now the poor little mice are homeless.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
You haven't lived until you have to clean out that kind of a mess after it started charring,and you find decapitated mice corpses everywhere..the stench is horrible,and dont forget they can carry deadly viruses...

I told here how a loal lawnmower shop mechanic/owner died at age 39 from getting one of the more deadly viruses from being exposed to mice nests so often in the course of his mower repairs..a pressure washer would be the best way to remove that nest,so as not to get the dust airborne..at least use a mask and gloves to remove it,if nothing else..the same thing has happened to many of my tractors too,my MTD's 20 HP Kohler was stuffed as full as that engine was,but I managed to flush it out at the car wash using the high pressure wash wand..

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
I pulled way more than that out of the gearbox on my snow thrower. It got all wrapped up around the shafts, chains, and sprockets until it finally sheared a bolt.

You averted a possible engine meltdown. Good thing you saw the bits hanging out and pulled the cowl.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I'm glad there weren't any in there. I didn't have my pellet gun handy lol

Kinda scary Tractor-Holic but I'm sure all true. Yeah I used some gloves to get the nest out. Then air hosed it out then washed it my hands and face off afterwards.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
A pressure washer would be one of the worst ways to clean that out, you'd be blasting whatever is there all over the place. Best mist it down to prevent dust, glove up, and scoop it out by hand and use an OLD tooth brush to get the bits out of the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Exactly the reason I like to store all my equipment in a storage building like shown in my avitar.I have two of these buildings and there rodent proof I use to have a old dirt floor shed that was falling apart and had the same type problems with a John Deere 214 from back then.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I bought a 216 at an auction several years ago with a locked up engine for $150.00. It was full of mouse house too! Ran fine after removing a few lbs of whatever that stuff was.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Ditto on the stink! Been there. I now use D-con in my equipment shed. They ate the stuff like candy at first, nowadays there seem to be very few takers...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D-con huh Well I don't really have a problem with mice or rats or anything but I'll buy some and take it out to her house and place some around the property

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
I hear from other small engine enthusiasts that a cut up bar of Irish Spring bar soap keeps mice out of engines and other places,supposedly they cant stand the smell of it..

I'd suggest NOT using compressed air to blow a nest like that off,especially dry",that will send all the potentially harmful viruses airborne flying everywhere,just like blowing brake dust off car brakes with an air hose will send asbestos particles flying..the car wash hose did a good job for me,I just eased on the trigger and soaked the nest down good,then blasted it off once it was saturated..then I flushed the deceased meeces and feces down the grate,so the next customer wouldn't go EWWWWWW..!.:D

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Had the same thing in my LT133. I cut up some hardware cloth and put it in the hole in the shroud next to the air cleaner. They still get in, just not as much. Good luck.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,185 Posts
I hear from other small engine enthusiasts that a cut up bar of Irish Spring bar soap keeps mice out of engines and other places,supposedly they cant stand the smell of it..
We use Bounce dryer sheets in the camper and anything stored outside of house. It has worked so far.

·
Premium Member
9,608 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Also a foul smelling rotting mouse corpse hidden inside a wall,etc,that'll render the home or garage uninhabitable for months,without a gas mask at least!..
We learned the hard way never to use D-con in an antique car,we had one car we left D-con in the back seat on the floor,and Mickey ate some,then decided to go back to his "condo" inside the cowl where the heater gets its fresh air intake from,and died there!..

We tried for months to fish his remains out of there,but failed,then tried high pressure air,water,etc..nothing worked,and the stench was so horrible I bet no one will ever buy that car,not unless it finally fades away with time!..

Any one watch the "Mythbusters" episode when they put a dead pig in a corvette,then stuffed it in a truck body in the CA heat for a few weeks?..they had a hard time getting a junkyard to take it after that..and I can only imagine how bad THAT car had to smell,if one tiny mouse made our antique unbearable to sit it,even with the windows open..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts