My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

Sorry if i got the wrong area, I'm desperate for help with the lawn mower cause i can barely afford parts if i can find them, i dont have money for a new mower. 1st off I'm certainly no mechanic. Recently had problems with it and it took me eons longer than one of you guys to fix, but i actually did it myself. What i did was i took the deck off of my craftsman lt1000 42" cut tractor with B&S 17hp model 310707 engine, and replaced the blade belt, a blade brake, and the blade brake clutch. Also, I drained the fuel and oil, cleaned the fuel line, washed the gas tank, replaced the tank with new gas, put new oil, new air & fuel filer & plug, and charged the battery overnight.

This is by far the most i've ever done mechanically with a mower. Anyway, it fired right up and seemed to run like new. I cut the yard, cleaned it up. Came back the following week, same thing, ran great, maintained gas & oil and everything seemed great.

Last week, i fired it up, ran normal, cut 1/3 of the yard then like 5 seconds after revving up and over a muddy rut that it had trouble going up-and-over, it COUGHED twice 2 large white/blue clouds of smoke out the front by the exhaust manifold/valves are, and died. The gas tank which was 1/2 full a couple minutes before, was empty.

From there, no turnover, not even a try, no spark. Nothing. I pulled as much as i could apart to try to fix it. The screws securing the carb bowl are like frozen, i cant get them loose-wd40 didnt help. pulled the manifold, loosened the head, pulled the plug - from each of these out poured gas-which seemed to have oil in it, but not much, so it may have just picked it up lubricating oil.

I let it drain, then left it to evaporate/dry overnight with the manifold and plug hole exposed, also with the head loose, put it all back together. still the same. turn the key, i just get the clunk of the relay pulling in at the starter, which suggests to me electrically its fine, maybe the plug is fouled - but mechanically it is shot, or am i wrong? do i have to go further...tear it down completely? Should i put a New plug in and try or is that a waste of time? any thoughts, anyone?

I'm not totally sure about how to pull apart the engine, but if anyone is going to do any (more) work on this tractor, it's going to be me.

Please anyone, I am long-time laid off unemployed, broke, and everything around me is breaking down. I just got a deal after a months shopping on a new Ford, and i am stretched as thin as can be.

Oh by the way, it is a craftsman LT1000 42" deck tractor with 17hp b&s model 310707 w/6 speed manual, and this is its 10th season since purchase. Up until this season it was "old reliable".

Thanks for any input or suggestion, i appreciate any help at all.

Janus

·
Senior Junkmonkey
278 Posts
I once had this when I put a semi dirty fuel filter back in and junk got stuck it the needle valve. I had to drain the cylinders and crackcase because it just empty into the engine.

I would pull the battery (totally disconnected!!) pull fuses and spark plugs removed. Turn the engine over by hand slowly. Sounds like fuel is still in cylinders and hydrostatic lock-up. Just my thought!

Dan

·
Collector of many tractors
15,270 Posts
Yep... The float stuck or sank for some reason or dirt got under the needle valve dumping way to much gas into the engine... If you shut off the gas under the tank and clean everything out it might try to start...

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
:Welcome1: Make sure that the gas didn't get in the crankcase oil!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts