My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some really great tractors, by accident today.After work today, I took a trip up the street to go and look at another job we had been called to work an estimate up for.

We get there and it's a massive, old boarding home from the 1900's. 2 acre lot(rare for Arlington VA-outside of DC) and three to four old barn/car sheds. The house is slated to be demolished(sadly) and the developer wanted a quote for bringing the sheds up to safety code since they're in a state of dis-repair and work isn't slated to start for another year or so.

I've seen some really unique places, but this house inlcuding it's land was a real gem. Now to the good stuff. I start poking around in the tall grass and found this!

Somewhat hard to see(all of these pics were taken with my phone) but you can see from the decals it's a Massey. Any info on this model?

Also parked in the weeds was an older Cub Cadet tractor. Really unique looking. Had a larger engine on it as opposed to some of the other older cubs I've seen. Interestingly enough, I think I might be getting both of these tractors for free! They're set to be hauled out, but I'm going to offer a "free disposal" service :ROF

Alright, this was the treasure I literally stumbled onto. The car barns were really run down. It hadn't looked anyone set foot in these buildings for years and years. As I was looking over the structure for faults etc.. to work up an estimate I noticed that there was a bottom basement floor I hadn't seen before. Took a look around, found an overgrown entrance in the back, crawled through an opening in the wall and then saw a large tractor parked next to old bedding, boxes and tires. Check this out! Mowing deck, tiller blade and tire chains are all with it. Hardly any rust suprisingly.

No one even knew it was there, what a find! I showed these pics to my grandfather and he went through the roof. He didn't have a choice in the matter I was told, but he had sold practically the same tractor back in the early 70's and has regreted it ever since. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed on this one, but if I play my cards right, I think I might be getting this one for free also :i_praying

Any info on this tractor? Tell me what you think guys! :trink40:

·
Super Moderator
32,482 Posts
Well the top Massey is a MF12. Real nice tractors, and IMHO have some real cool styling.

The Cub is a old Farmall cub. Not the Cub garden tractor. Nice tractors. some people will have to chime in to give more info on the cub, but looks like maybe a lowboy from the late 50's.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
what a great find! good luck, hope you get them all.

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
Another 'barn find'..man--o..man!!:wwp:

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I would guess real late 50's early 60's. My cub is a 56 and the front grille is rounded. I hope you get it, I sure like mine!

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Great find. I would be hanging around with my truck and trailer ready just in case they need them disposed of.

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
Cool find! I hope you are able to get all that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
23,490 Posts
Lucky stiff!

The top one is a MF12H. Tecumseh HH120 engine, Sundstrand hydrostatic trans and Peerless final drive axle. The long handle on the right is the drive control, on the left is the implement lift. One tough little tractor. I put a FEL on mine back in the 70's.

Don't know the Farmall except by reputation. Great find!

Bob

·
USMC
19,144 Posts
Good luck and hope you get them both. slkpk

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

Nice tractors. Those cubs are popular for rebuilding and can go for some serious $ when restored. Hope you can bring em home.

Cheers
Brian

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!

Thanks guys for the warm wishes!

I spoke with the owner, and I offered to haul the "scrap metal" out of the yard for free :trink40:

Drum roll...... They agreed!! I'm picking all three tractors up tommorow.

On top of that I might have a few months of work getting the house and the carriage houses up to county code. Kind of odd since they're demolishing all of the structures and will be developing the land. But since they won't be developing the land for quite sometime, you still can't have un-safe structures adjacent to a public road, on a hill next to a side walk.

Basically, I really lucked out, I got all three of the tractors for nada, zilch! On a side note, out of the blue, I recieved a phone call yesterday from someone selling a 77 Sears GT. I finally found the GT that I've been searching around for for almost a year. Tractor is in great shape and the guy only wants 200 bucks for it. That means I'll be adding 4 tractors to the stable, 4 new projects that is :ROF Farmall, Massey, Cub and a Sears tractor.

People have been asking why I've been chipper all day. I'm hesitant to tell them since I normally hear "geeezzz joe, they're just tractors!

You guys know the felling :sidelaugh

I'll post pics as soon as I can!

·
Super Moderator
17,205 Posts
You are getting very good at this--it seems--

But, IMHO--far better that they go to someone who will at least try to fix and use them again--then just to the scrap heap....

Good save!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi

We understand that they are Tractors not "just tractors". Looks like you will be busy for a long time with 4 new ones to work on. It's good to see them going to a good home.

Brian

·
Citizen of Earth
16,337 Posts
That Massey Ferguson was a robust and strong garden tractor in it's day, something close to a Deere model 140 or Cub Cadet 149, in other words a good one to fix up. The Sunstrand hydro in these was the hydro system of choice for Deere and many others and is EXTREMELY strong and reliable. The Farmall Cub looks to be early 1960's to my eye, and you could probably sell it as is, not running, right now for $750 as the market is pretty good on these. Quite an EXCELLENT day I'd say.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Picked them up today!

Well, I loaded the trailer up and brought all three home today. I snapped a bunch of pictures, including model and serial numbers so you guys can see.

We had to use my sisters small Nissan and a large chain to tow the Farmall out of the carriage house since I couldn't get the truck in the yard. The large trailer including my big truck wouldn't fit in the drive way(long and steep) so we had to tow it across a busy Arlington/DC street to the trailer using her car. Let's just say I'll leave that part our when I thank my sister for letting me use her car today :ROF

The Massey was dug in pretty good all the way passed the mower deck. I hooked a battery to it, put some fresh gas in it, checked the oil and suprisingly it turned over for a bit! Carbs gummed up. The Cub didn't have a gas cap, so I'm sure there's water in the lines. I'm going to be patient and spend a day changing oil, fuel filters, oil filters etc... What was really interesting and I hadn't spotted it before was the fact that the Cub had an older leaf vac attachment on it's mower deck. Like the Massey, the Cub was dug into the mud pretty good which made it a pain to move out. Luckily all three tractors' tires pumped up long enough to get them on the trailer.

I cleared some brush out in order to get to the Cub and noticed that the leaf vac trailer and hose was all intact and was sitting only a few feet away! The brush was over 4 feet in this area. So this one took some time to free it up. There's a mounting bracket for the leaf vac motor on the back. I'm pretty sure it's locked up, but we'll have to see. I actually bought an older leaf vac motor a few years ago, hopefully it'll mount up.

The three or four carriages houses on the property are loaded with old farm and garden machinery. I found a super old Troy-Bilt roto tiller that I was able to fit on the trailer. Engine turns. I've never actually seen some of the machines that are in these carriage houses. I know for a fact a lot of it is rare. I borrowed the trailer for a week, so I'll snap more pics of what I haul out. The other buldings are much bigger and I haven't been in them.

I was told all of it is farm and garden machines and supplies. Apparently the property was huge back in the 50's. Wouldn't it be crazy if I found a few more tractors? Maybe a couple old large riders that were just sitting like the Farmall was. Man that would be insane!

Any info on these tractors that you guys might have on these would be VERY helpful. I hate to say it, but I'm limited when it comes to finding parts for these particular models. I'm primarily used to Sears and Toro. I'll start picking through them and I'll start trying to get them to run. Luckily my best friend is getting stationed in Hampton, he builds motorcycles, so I can definitley use the help!

Enjoy! :trink40:

You should have seen some of the looks we got driving through DC and Arlington! We played "tetris" to get them on.

My dad picked this older Bolens tractor up not too long ago from the same guy I bought my Wheelhorse off of. We've got a load of attachments for this tractor including a snow thrower, street sweeper and a plow blade. I wanted to start on this one sometime next year, but since I've got all these other tractors, I guess it can wait :ROF

·
My True Colors-Red+Silver
728 Posts
Great find s all of them. THe gummed carb on the Massey is normal to that engine, I had a 1972 Sears SS12 the had a carb full of water and dirt, but if that Massey has sparks and you clean the carb good it should run fine, just change the oild in the hydro with clean type A fluid. just use the right drain plug aka the one on the front left of the hydro unit. io know this from experince with one of mine, but it is very strong. Good luck with all of it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts