My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 8237 running and the guy said the sp quit working and he'd been using it as a pusher. The drive shaft isn't turning...

I have no experience with these but I know in order to look at it I have to undeck the motor. If the drive shaft is not moving is that pretty much a symptom of that bronze gear being stripped out? I'm sure this old 'boy (like so many others :banghead3 ) has seen little or no maintenance through its life.

Any help on this would be great before I tear it apart...
Thanks in advance!!

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Chances are that gear is worn down causing the issue, but before you pull the engine, remove the case cover on the capstan and have a look around there first.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks...I'm getting a little 'capstan 101' tonight. I just did it like everything else, just tore into it. I didn't realize there was a cable involved even. When it's in the 'drive' position I can see movement between the drive shaft cover and the engine case when I turn the crank and none when it's in 'neutral'. No movement past that to the trans though. I started taking the trans off and decided I'll get back into it in the morning. Looks like a project I wanna be fresh for.

Thanks again...I'll post some pics and results tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I had the same problem on my 8237 a while back. Problem was that in the drive shaft is a bushing(looks like a square) problem is that over the years these wear out and turn into circles. You have to buy a new bushing. Only a few bucks. That was the problem on my 8237

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that makes sense. You know how you leave a problem and go do something else for a while and your brain sits and works on the problem for a while...
I was doing that and ima's post makes sense since it was weird the one end was turning and not the other...
Thanks! We'll see tomorrow.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I got it apart last night and what has appened is the end of the plastic/nylon or whatever shaft has rounded out. The metal bushings are still good but the plastic itself has completely rounded. I priced one at the local place for nearly $50! I'm thinking clean it in the solvent tank, make some nothes along the inside of the outer edge to act as holds and then some JB Weld around the square bushings. For $5, more in my budget...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts